R2 (3.2.453) QOS Hit Detection

Mrbchambers

I get better hit detection in games when I knock off QOS. This is most noticeable in Destiny 2, though is evident in other games like COD. I have ran several test over multiple days, and at different times of the day. With QOS on, there are times that I can’t get a kill, as soon as I knock it off, the gameplay is much better.My KD improves vastly, and the game plays and feels better.

Is this how it's supposed to be?

• Administrators

Have you turned off QoS completely via the Congestion Control menu  ? If not Traffic Prioritization will still be active and helping keep the ping stable. Depending on your internet speeds and what other devices are doing at the time CC may not be required to eliminate local congestion if there is none

I have the same problem. with qos deactivated the hitregs in game are ok, if activated qos I seem to be lagging behind the enemy..I have qos at 70% down and up, my connection is perfect.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Erik said:
I have the same problem. with qos deactivated the hitregs in game are ok, if activated qos I seem to be lagging behind the enemy..I have qos at 70% down and up, my connection is perfect.

Same question as above, also what are your bandwidth speeds and how many devices are being used at one time?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Stessa domanda di cui sopra, anche quali sono le velocità della tua larghezza di banda e quanti dispositivi vengono utilizzati contemporaneamente?

my bandwidth is 1000mbps in download and 500mbps in upload..the sliders are set to 70%. A samsung TV is rarely used together with the PC to watch TV series on Netflix but it never exceeds 15-20 mbps. All devices are connected to R2

On 9/12/2022 at 12:08 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you turned off QoS completely via the Congestion Control menu  ? If not Traffic Prioritization will still be active and helping keep the ping stable. Depending on your internet speeds and what other devices are doing at the time CC may not be required to eliminate local congestion if there is none

Hi Fraser, thanks again for your rapid reply.

I have knocked off QOS via the congestion control menu. I have a dedicated internet (70Mb/s down and 20 Mb/s up) for gaming, and it only feeds my gaming devices, and I only typically use one at a time, so I think you are right.

I just wanted to check that I wasn’t missing something. Also the difference isn’t marginal, it is significant. Nowhere I have I seen anything regarding knocking QOS off, if your system doesn’t need it. In fact the opposite is true. In the congestion control options it states that it is not advised to knock it off.

16 minutes ago, Mrbchambers said:

Hi Fraser, thanks again for your rapid reply.

I have knocked off QOS via the congestion control menu. I have a dedicated internet (70Mb/s down and 20 Mb/s up) for gaming, and it only feeds my gaming devices, and I only typically use one at a time, so I think you are right.

I just wanted to check that I wasn’t missing something. Also the difference isn’t marginal, it is significant. Nowhere I have I seen anything regarding knocking QOS off, if your system doesn’t need it. In fact the opposite is true. In the congestion control options it states that it is not advised to knock it off.

OK yeah that kinda makes sense then. I'd suggest leaving CC set to 100% for both sliders and just have Traffic Prio prioritising your gaming device. That shouldn't have any adverse affects and should help to keep the ping stable.

I have 5 gaming devices, there is only me who uses them, and they are rarely on at the same time, it is difficult to play 2 at once. So QOS still allocates them a share of the internet pie, is there a way to stop that? Also QOS sets allocation of data for applications (10 of them?). None of which have I ever used (eg VOIP), there doesn’t appear to be a way to remove any of those, and moving the sliders is a bit of a pain.

I have just ran a couple of ping tests and they appeared similar with and without QOS.

Sorry about this: I have just switched to the X700 (XR700 V1.0.1.34_Dumaos3.0_6) Ping is noticeably different, specifically during upload and download. During upload the ping is 4 times higher than the idle ping, and download is double the idle ping without QOS, with QOS on the XR700, the upload and download pings are the same or slightly lower than the idle ping.

The R2 results were: During upload the ping is 4 times higher than the idle ping, and download is double the idle ping without QOS. Enabling QOS made no difference, the results were exactly the same as with QOS disabled on the R2. So having QOS enabled on the R2 appears to have no effect on ping on the R2, whereas it has a massive effect on the XR700.

Is my R2 broken, or just lacking the poke of the XR700.

18 hours ago, Mrbchambers said:

I have 5 gaming devices, there is only me who uses them, and they are rarely on at the same time, it is difficult to play 2 at once. So QOS still allocates them a share of the internet pie, is there a way to stop that? Also QOS sets allocation of data for applications (10 of them?). None of which have I ever used (eg VOIP), there doesn’t appear to be a way to remove any of those, and moving the sliders is a bit of a pain.

I have just ran a couple of ping tests and they appeared similar with and without QOS.

If you hit 'Reset Allocation' and leave Share Excess enabled, those allocations won't be made unless an application/device is actually using bandwidth.

17 hours ago, Mrbchambers said:

Sorry about this: I have just switched to the X700 (XR700 V1.0.1.34_Dumaos3.0_6) Ping is noticeably different, specifically during upload and download. During upload the ping is 4 times higher than the idle ping, and download is double the idle ping without QOS, with QOS on the XR700, the upload and download pings are the same or slightly lower than the idle ping.

The R2 results were: During upload the ping is 4 times higher than the idle ping, and download is double the idle ping without QOS. Enabling QOS made no difference, the results were exactly the same as with QOS disabled on the R2. So having QOS enabled on the R2 appears to have no effect on ping on the R2, whereas it has a massive effect on the XR700.

Is my R2 broken, or just lacking the poke of the XR700.

Could you perhaps instead try adding each device you game on as their own rule in Traffic Prio. For the service on each of these rules, select 'Games Console'. Try playing a few games and see if the ping is closer to your idle ping.

Hi Liam

I could, though I thought that this should just work (out of the box), I am bothered that I spend some time, trying things that ultimately don’t resolve the issue, also I have had this issue for some time, and just thought it was other factors i.e. ISP issues, distance form server, cheats etc.

I am currently using my XR700,  and the difference is amazing. All the games I play are better to play, and to be honest I was sick of getting a 0.2 K/D.

I am going to factory reset the R2 (again) and connect just my PC, then run the tests again. I’ll let you know what happens.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 9:36 AM, Mrbchambers said:

Hi Liam

I could, though I thought that this should just work (out of the box), I am bothered that I spend some time, trying things that ultimately don’t resolve the issue, also I have had this issue for some time, and just thought it was other factors i.e. ISP issues, distance form server, cheats etc.

I am currently using my XR700,  and the difference is amazing. All the games I play are better to play, and to be honest I was sick of getting a 0.2 K/D.

I am going to factory reset the R2 (again) and connect just my PC, then run the tests again. I’ll let you know what happens.

I would definitely  would love to see what happens. I am still waiting patiently waiting for the DumaOs 3.2 for the XR700. R2 is good but Wifi signal is weak. I would love to see a beast device like the XR700 with current functional firmware 3.2. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2022 at 7:08 PM, irving said:

I would definitely  would love to see what happens. I am still waiting patiently waiting for the DumaOs 3.2 for the XR700. R2 is good but Wifi signal is weak. I would love to see a beast device like the XR700 with current functional firmware 3.2. 

I sort of promised Liam that I would get back to him, though only managed to factory reset the R2, and stayed using the XR700, I have consigned the R2 to emergency standby Router status. The XR700 is being very well behaved.

I would really like to see the new firmware on the XR700 too, though I have thought about the buying an XR1000, though  I am bothered, about the cost and if will deliver more than what I have at the moment.

I think I am just trying to find the ultimate router that delivers the impossible. I am in search of the router equivalent of the alchemist stone.  And whilst this is a futile task, it is more likely than BT giving me FTTP!

p.s. how likely is it that we will see DumaOs 3.2 for the XR700?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Once the 500 is done we'll be able to get it sorted on the 700!

Hey Fraser,

That’s great to hear and thank you for the super fast reply. I wonder where I could post the thing about FTTP on a forum that BT have interests in, so that I could get a similarly fast reply!!

On 9/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Could you perhaps instead try adding each device you game on as their own rule in Traffic Prio. For the service on each of these rules, select 'Games Console'. Try playing a few games and see if the ping is closer to your idle ping.

Hey Liam,

I had a bit of spare time to try out the R2, here’s the strange thing, I factory reset again and, Quo’s is now working as expected.

I decided to give the R2 a run ou because I can’t get the heat map on the XR700, it would be really nice to have it on the XR700 (Wink), I know Fraser said "Once the 500 is done we'll be able to get it sorted on the 700!”. I just wonder how long it will be.

p.s. BT told me FTTP to my property will be in 2026, and the lady said “So it’s not FUTILE!”. Just thought I would keep you posted.