DumaOS not loaded yet! August 2022 (Again) xr300, xr450, xr500, xr700

So, you one day decide to go into DUMAOS for some random reason and are greeted with DumaOS not loaded yet! So, you clear your web browser cache and try again.  Same result.  You reboot your router and still, the same result.  Next, you unplug the router for a few hours, clear the web browser cache and try again using a different web browser.  Same results.  So you try your tablet, phone, another laptop.  Same result.  And you are at wits end trying to figure out what happened between the last time you used DumaOS and now that would cause this issue.  And you cannot find anything you did that would cause this issue. 

So you start searching the interwebs and it brought you to this thread.  Well, you are in luck.  Here I will compile information that explains why it happens.  Rest assured you did nothing wrong.  However, the fix is rather more complex.  A temporary fix is to go back to a firmware well before DumaOS 3.0.  However, you should already be aware that internet use is just fine.  The GUI for DumaOS is borked. 

I recall this issue back in 2019.  It was determined it was the result of a faulty cloud update of some kind that effected the GUI of DUMA OS.  Resetting the router doesn't work.  And doing so will only result in you not having access to the internet as you won't be able to complete the setup as "DumaOS not loaded yet!" will return.  What seems to work is using either:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-from-the-Microsoft-Windows-Command-Prompt

Or, you use:

192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm  Login.  Then navigate to Administration > Firmware Upgrade (download the firmware 1st to you pc). And downgrade back to .32.  Yes! all the way back to 2.3.2.32 firmware.  Anything higher then this may result in either Rapp crashing or DumaOS not loaded yet errors.  This should get you a functional DUMAOS.  Although not 3.0. 

Now here's were it gets tricky.  Upgrading back to the current firmware of newer firmware may or may not fix the issue.  Because the issue stems from and I quote:

So, unless the team over a DumaOS address this cloud server update (that updates regardless if you have updates enabled or disabled). It's very likely you will update the firmware to a more current version only for the cloud sever to also update the faulty data causing the GUI issue all over again. 

This is a GUI issue (from what I've noticed).  And, doesn't seem to effect my devices connected nor internet speeds.  As long as I don't reset the router all is fine. You just don't have GUI interaction with DUMOS 3.0 unless you use the link above with only advance functionality. 

Once this is fixed all you need to do is reboot your router and clear your browser cache and it's fixed.  As found here:

Unless there is something else borked with your router you shouldn't need to go back to .32.  Everything should be working just fine.  I can only assume I am not the only one experiencing this issue.  So I wanted to compile a summary explaining what happened, how it happened and how to temporary fix it.  However, if the information from Fraser is accurate (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) the real fix will come from DumaOS developer team to address whatever they did to this cloud update in Aug 2022 and undo it.  So that we get both Rapp and GUI functionality back.  Without needing to downgrade firmware. 

I post this because I researched this for hours to find out why this is happening.  What others have done.  And it'd clear that resetting the router or reinstalling the same firmware doesn't work.  As the cloud update will simply reinstall itself borking the GUI and or some of the Rapps. 

@Netduma Alex @Netduma Fraser @Netduma Admin , etc

Can someone look into this issue and see if this can be fixed again for the xr450? 

• Administrators

I'll have to check with the team regarding this, I know we've received a lot fewer reports of the issue with newer firmware versions. We've pretty much fixed it on the R2 as far as I can tell so should certainly be able to reduce it even further.

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'll have to check with the team regarding this, I know we've received a lot fewer reports of the issue with newer firmware versions. We've pretty much fixed it on the R2 as far as I can tell so should certainly be able to reduce it even further.

Thanks, I appreciate you looking into this for a fix. For this to come up now after all this time...It's pretty hard pill to swallow. I do currently have 2.3.2.134 (installed several months ago...what a year now...).  I recall getting this error once before but it refreshed itself and went away (earlier this month).  I've used DUMAOS multiple times without issue. Even resync the cloud and for several days/weeks in/out of DumaOS.  But all of a sudden towards the end of this month I get that error.    So, I can only assume there was some sort of cloud update recently for the xr450. 

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We were already looking at it and it was caused by a complex problem that we were able to fix on a test router so it's looking like that fix will be applied to the next version.

Thanks for the update.  Good to hear that its fixed! But, how long will I have to wait before it's released for the xr450? 

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, East said:

Thanks for the update.  Good to hear that its fixed! But, how long will I have to wait before it's released for the xr450? 

A latest internal firmware passed at 90% with two important issues being flagged that we're currently working on resolving so it depends how long that takes really, shouldn't be too long and then it should pass at 100% and we can proceed with a release. 450 should follow very closely after the 500.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators
18 minutes ago, silly-system said:

Hello, I've got exactly this issue with my XR700. (DUMAOS not loaded using routerlogin.net, no WIFI) I tried factory reset, older Firmware and it still didn't work. Ethernet connection works fine.

Try upgrading from routerlogin.net/adv_index.htm to the latest firmware: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/51612-new-xr700-beta-firmware-33363/

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, silly-system said:

Ok I upgraded. Now i have a different screen. It keeps reloading every few seconds but doesn't finish and wifi still does not work.

You'll need to factory reset as it's a big change, hold the reset button for 30 seconds, release, wait 4 minutes then access.

I will try this when I get home. And if this doesn‘t work firmware update via TFTP as a last resort? Which firmware should I use in this case?

Update: It didn‘t work. 

image.jpg

Update 2: Tried firmware update over tftp like here: https://kb.netgear.com/000064624/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-on-Apple-macOS

I can‘t get it to work. 
I get one of three massages:

Network is unreachable

Host is down

Transfer timed out

Someone any idea left?