Setup after ISP change?

Unfinished

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay well that's promising, definitely sounds like this was the cause then if they were able to give you a moderate NAT. I'm not sure what help a tech on site would be given I don't think it is anything on your side but do let us know. I would recommend disconnecting and hiding the R2 while they are there as I've heard stories in the past that they'll blame any third party tech even if it isn't the cause. I mean it's pretty easy to determine given direct to the ONT you'll have mod/strict but maybe something to consider.

You can yes, just take the device IP and then go to Settings and on the LAN side you'll see DMZ and you just put the IP in there.

Ok, thank you. They know about the R2 and are not that bothered. It was easy to determine that the issue is with their end, as reconnecting the ISP router gave the same strict NAT.

Apparently other customers have not had the same issues with static IP addresses and have open NATs. I'll know more tomorrow, but good to see that they are customer focused.

Edit: I couldn't see the DMZ for looking, I can now though, thanks.

With one of the XBOX's in the DMZ, I can get an open NAT and it is repeatable if I switch the DMZ on and off.

During testing with tech support here, one XBOX went to open NAT with UPnP disabled, no port forwarding and no DMZ. Switching on a second wired XBOX took both to moderate NAT.

To get the open NAT outside of the DMZ, all relevant ports were opened UPnP off, and then ports closed to find a potential problem with a port, but once open, the NAT stayed open, even with all ports subsequently closed.

5 minutes ago, Unfinished said:

Some extra info, the ISP router will not currently give anything but a strict NAT. 
The R2 will give an open NAT, but under the circumstances listed in my post above.

So in it's current configuration, are you able to get two XBOX's online both with Open NAT, or only one? Could you share a screenshot of the port forwarding rules you've setup by chance?

All Microsoft recommended ports were opened to obtain the open NAT and it stayed open even after closing the ports and leaving UPnP off, but is that perhaps something to do with NAT session timeout and maybe a red herring? No screenshot anyway, as at that time we switched to the ISP router and all the forwarded port rules were deleted again.

The important bit, I think, is that when the second XBOX was switched on, the NAT went to moderate, also, tech support used the supplied router and another brought with him and neither of those could be configured to give anything other than strict NAT.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Very peculiar you were able to get an Open NAT through the R2 then given there still appears to be an issue on their side, what are their next steps?

They want to lab test some consoles back at base in a similar config to mine. It also seems that there may be another customer with a similar situation. It's nice to see them taking an active interest and not trying to fob customers off. It will pay dividends in the long term for them though.

The UPnP situation seems odd too, as it wouldn't allow an open NAT, the ports had to be manually opened and have UPnP off. I'm convinced that it is due to CG-NAT.

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Unfinished said:

They want to lab test some consoles back at base in a similar config to mine. It also seems that there may be another customer with a similar situation. It's nice to see them taking an active interest and not trying to fob customers off. It will pay dividends in the long term for them though.

The UPnP situation seems odd too, as it wouldn't allow an open NAT, the ports had to be manually opened and have UPnP off. I'm convinced that it is due to CG-NAT.

That is very good to be fair, fingers crossed they'll figure out the cause, I would have thought it would be CG-NAT but given you now have a static public IP maybe it is something else, do keep us posted!