Setup after ISP change?

Unfinished

Finally, after literally years of waiting, I have now got connection to 21st Century internet speeds and am no longer playing catch up. The Lionesses brought back the silverware, but I've got my fibre and it feels good...

Now for the questions.

I have had equipment installed that I am not familiar with, an "ONT" connected to a "Gateway". The installers came before I got back from work, so I couldn't ask the relevant questions, but there is no documentation that I could find to get into the admin pages to fiddle with the settings as required (and they appear to need fiddling with, as I have a strict NAT on my XBOX), also, if the gateway is the modem, I'll need to access the interface to setup the DMZ.

1. The R2 requires a modem, is this the ONT? There is an ethernet cable coming from it and going into the gateway, but I couldn't see if the gateway was a modem/router or standalone router.

2. Does the R2 need to be setup again afresh if I connect to the new ISP? Just plugging in the cable from the ONT didn't give any internet connection, so either I've missed something, need to reboot, or need the fibre equivalent of a modem.

The ONT is an Adtran SDX 621i, the gateway is an 834-5. The ISP is Wildanet in Cornwall.

• Administrators

In theory yes you can connect the R2 direct to the ONT and bypass the gateway completely - there should be a sticker on the underside of the gateway with info on how to access it if you'd still like to use it.

Give it a reboot and it should get a connection, if not you may require PPPoE or it may be that they've locked it to use their gateway

The router/ISP uses DHCP and I have spoken with them to allow the specific MAC address of the R2, to be able to use that.

It's up and running, but the XBOXes now have a strict NAT type, which they didn't before.

I've checked that UPnP is enabled and it is. I have not yet setup port forwarding, as I haven't needed to up until now.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:38 PM, Unfinished said:

The Lionesses brought back the silverware

It's finally home.

1 hour ago, Unfinished said:

The router/ISP uses DHCP and I have spoken with them to allow the specific MAC address of the R2, to be able to use that.

It's up and running, but the XBOXes now have a strict NAT type, which they didn't before.

Thanks for letting us know, could you please grab the R2's WAN IP from System Information, then put this in the DMZ of the ISP router. After that the Xbox's should have an Open NAT.

I have no acces to the router or the ONT, it's closed and I have to go through Wildanet to get anything done.

What exactly are my options to getting this all working properly, as I feel a bit deflated having waited so long for a decent internet connection, for there now to be another issue.

Currently my R2 is connected directly to the ONT. The Wildanet gateway (router) also gives strict NAT types, so I think the problem is in the ONT, but I know very little about this subject.

Also, I don't know if this has any bearing on the situation, but with the fibre connected, the R2 will no longer run a connection benchmark or complete an auto-QoS setup.

1 hour ago, Unfinished said:

I have no acces to the router or the ONT, it's closed and I have to go through Wildanet to get anything done.

What exactly are my options to getting this all working properly, as I feel a bit deflated having waited so long for a decent internet connection, for there now to be another issue.

Currently my R2 is connected directly to the ONT. The Wildanet gateway (router) also gives strict NAT types, so I think the problem is in the ONT, but I know very little about this subject.

Also, I don't know if this has any bearing on the situation, but with the fibre connected, the R2 will no longer run a connection benchmark or complete an auto-QoS setup.

Now that's interesting. Did you factory reset the R2 since getting the new connection setup? If not, could you please do so and then check if these features are able to work properly again?

Ideally the ISP equipment would be set to either a modem/bridge/passthrough mode, or the R2 would be in the DMZ. If they are not willing to make these configuration changes for you, we could also potentially look at trying some port forwarding, but that's far from ideal.

I can, but I have 25 devices (and counting) on the network, so this will be a major PITA (again).

What is a factory reset likely to do by the way?

Edit: I also do not like the idea of port forwarding and DMZ.

• Administrators

While directly connected to the ONT could you perform the steps for the CG-NAT test as the bottom of this guide please? http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open-nat leave the factory reset for the moment as it seems like a classic CG-NAT issue to me which unfortunately may incur an extra cost or headache to resolve.

Thanks for the info, but I have no means to connect directly to the ONT. I do not have any laptops with ethernet connections.

Edit: In fact, other than a Surface Pro tablet, I have no windows devices at all.

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay no worries, if you use the surface pro to connect to the R2, then follow the rest of the steps and post a screenshot I can deduce if you have a CG-NAT or not

Would this have anything to do with a 100. series IP address?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

CG-NAT usually do have an address beginning with that, is that what you're getting when pinging your own IP address?

Tracing route to 100.X.X.X over a maximum of 30 hops

1    3ms    6ms    3ms    100.X.X.X (my WAN IP address shown on R2)

Trace complete

Edit: This might be why tech support suggested I request my own public IP address.

Edit2: What'smyIP shows 185.X.X.X owned by my ISP Wildanet. I reckon I have CG-NAT, now what? 😒

• Administrators

You do have a CG-NAT unfortunately, as the tech suggested, getting your own public IP address/a static public IP will resolve the issue for you, they may ask you to pay for this. The only other thing to do which I'm sure you wouldn't want to given your years of waiting would be to switch to a different ISP that doesn't use CG-NAT

54 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

... The only other thing to do which I'm sure you wouldn't want to given your years of waiting would be to switch to a different ISP that doesn't use CG-NAT

There is no other option. Either FTTC, 1 mile of copper line away, or Wildanet fibre. OpenReach are only planning on reviewing the situation 2-3 years from now.

So, it looks like forking out for a static IP.

• Administrators

Yes unfortunately so, regardless of the R2 you would still wouldn't get an Open NAT even if your gaming device was directly connected to the ONT as you've found out. I don't know how much they would charge you for the static IP but it could be more cost effective to get a second, cheaper line in with a different provider which you just use for gaming as it doesn't require much bandwidth and Wildanet for everything else.

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes unfortunately so, regardless of the R2 you would still wouldn't get an Open NAT even if your gaming device was directly connected to the ONT as you've found out. I don't know how much they would charge you for the static IP but it could be more cost effective to get a second, cheaper line in with a different provider which you just use for gaming as it doesn't require much bandwidth and Wildanet for everything else.

Unfortunately a second line is also a no go, as with three xboxes, that's a lot a data transfer for updating.

I'll give the ISP a ring later. Thanks for the help.

I have apparently been issued with a static IP address, but it doesn't look different from before, unless it hasn't yet been activated for some reason. Is there anything I need to do to change the config of the R2 if I do now have a static IP?

I have just checked my NAT type and it is still strict, so not sure what is going on at the moment.

• Administrators

No you can leave that as DHCP, it would get the information direct from the ISP, yes definitely give them a call to make sure it's all gone through. Sometimes with these things they don't take affect right away

Responded to a similar thread of mine about what issues strict NATs can cause and this is the text...

"It is an IP address on their network, but supposedly setup to be open, I cannot really comment in any meaningful technical way, as this is beyond my knowledge. Configuration changes their end gave me a moderate NAT and I have tech support attending in person tomorrow to try and get a handle on what is going on.

I'll update when I have more info.

On another note, is it possible to setup devices in the DMZ on the R2? If so, how, as I couldn't see where this could be done."

• Administrators

Okay well that's promising, definitely sounds like this was the cause then if they were able to give you a moderate NAT. I'm not sure what help a tech on site would be given I don't think it is anything on your side but do let us know. I would recommend disconnecting and hiding the R2 while they are there as I've heard stories in the past that they'll blame any third party tech even if it isn't the cause. I mean it's pretty easy to determine given direct to the ONT you'll have mod/strict but maybe something to consider.

You can yes, just take the device IP and then go to Settings and on the LAN side you'll see DMZ and you just put the IP in there.