R2 Losing Connectivity to WAN

GenMatrix

19 hours ago, GenMatrix said:

The streak ended @ 2:34PM-ish EST on 9/4/2022. Had to power cycle as normal.

I was playing Apex Legends on my main rig. Not sure what the rest of the household was doing.

We can see that it rebooted but there's almost no information as to why it rebooted. Just looks like the power was removed all of a sudden. Can you let us know if it does the same again? We could also try manually reflashing your R2, it'd put it back to an older firmware so you'd need to upgrade it again, but that'd be the best way to completely restore it and remove any weird low-level configurations that could be causing a problem. Let me know if you'd like to try that.

Well I did that when I initially install the new firmware. 

Install New > Factory Reset via GUI right?

Just also want to reiterate that this issue has happened on every firmware since I've had the router (across 3 different units).

3 minutes ago, GenMatrix said:

Well I did that when I initially install the new firmware. 

Install New > Factory Reset via GUI right?

Just also want to reiterate that this issue has happened on every firmware since I've had the router (across 3 different units).

Yeah, the process of us manually reflashing the R2 from the backend is much more granular than a regular factory reset. It's essentially what we do when we're preparing a brand new R2 to be sent out in an order. Let me know if you'd like to try that.

Oh! I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant I would do the flashing again.

I just exported my device list so I don't have to set up all those devices again.

Let's go ahead and give that a shot.

20 hours ago, GenMatrix said:

Oh! I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant I would do the flashing again.

I just exported my device list so I don't have to set up all those devices again.

Let's go ahead and give that a shot.

OK, I've reflashed it now for you.

If you could now access the interface and complete the setup wizard, you can then upgrade back to 3.2. Then monitor to see if the problem re-occurs. You'll need to re-enable remote access to tech support again in case we need to setup remote logging again.

Let me know how you get on.

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, I've reflashed it now for you.

If you could now access the interface and complete the setup wizard, you can then upgrade back to 3.2. Then monitor to see if the problem re-occurs. You'll need to re-enable remote access to tech support again in case we need to setup remote logging again.

Let me know how you get on.

Got it. Went ahead and reflashed to the latest. Remote Access is enabled again as well.

53 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Excellent, let us know if you have any further issues.

Will do. The interface seems a lot snappier and initial set up zoomed as well.

Did you still want Time / Date when the router goes out?

1 hour ago, GenMatrix said:

Will do. The interface seems a lot snappier and initial set up zoomed as well.

Did you still want Time / Date when the router goes out?

Nice. It's up to you to be honest, I haven't setup the remote logging yet. We can either do that now (R2 will reboot when completed) or we can wait and see if the problem persists, then apply remote logging after that.

Yeah go ahead, I'm curious to see if the issue with rebooting occurs (I have to reboot modem and router otherwise the R2 won't connect again and freaks out with DNS issues on all devices).

Also have the devs found out anything on what's causing this issue?

16 hours ago, GenMatrix said:

Yeah go ahead, I'm curious to see if the issue with rebooting occurs (I have to reboot modem and router otherwise the R2 won't connect again and freaks out with DNS issues on all devices).

Also have the devs found out anything on what's causing this issue?

OK no worries, I've just set it up again.

No suspicions from the devs just yet I'm afraid, the problem with these sorts of issues is that we need it to occur enough times to see if we can find any other patterns with the sort of network activity around the time of the disconnection, so we're still in that sort of process at the moment.

If you turned on the remote login two hours ago, it’s on now but WAN is dead. It shows it’s got an IP from my modem but no sites load. 

I rebooted the R2 and still noting from WAN. I usually have to reboot both for it to function which is weird because I’ve never had to do that with any other router unless I was changing the MAC address or router entirely. 

1 hour ago, GenMatrix said:

If you turned on the remote login two hours ago, it’s on now but WAN is dead. It shows it’s got an IP from my modem but no sites load. 

I rebooted the R2 and still noting from WAN. I usually have to reboot both for it to function which is weird because I’ve never had to do that with any other router unless I was changing the MAC address or router entirely. 

Has the WAN not been working since the remote logging was enabled, or was it working briefly and has since stopped?

Yup, it didn't work since you enabled remoting logging since it rebooted. I woke up and no devices could access websites. 

image.png.1dc1d46e45632e5d6018631f56c68bb8.png

I went into the GUI and performed a reboot that way, still nothing but it showed the correct WAN IP. I had to come and power cycle both the router and the modem to get WAN functioning again.

image.png.70120bce3e6cd6534495ba62c0cb4a39.png

These are timestamps from my NAS when WAN stopped/started working.

23 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Has the WAN not been working since the remote logging was enabled, or was it working briefly and has since stopped?

EDIT: WAN was fine when I turned on Remote Support from GUI yesterday. When you did the set up from your side to finalize it @ 5:20 AM EST, it didn't work until I power cycled R2 and the modem.

46 minutes ago, GenMatrix said:

Yup, it didn't work since you enabled remoting logging since it rebooted. I woke up and no devices could access websites. 

image.png.1dc1d46e45632e5d6018631f56c68bb8.png

I went into the GUI and performed a reboot that way, still nothing but it showed the correct WAN IP. I had to come and power cycle both the router and the modem to get WAN functioning again.

image.png.70120bce3e6cd6534495ba62c0cb4a39.png

These are timestamps from my NAS when WAN stopped/started working.

EDIT: WAN was fine when I turned on Remote Support from GUI yesterday. When you did the set up from your side to finalize it @ 5:20 AM EST, it didn't work until I power cycled R2 and the modem.

Weird, OK so we're back up and running again now? We have seen it in the past where the WAN interface seems to stay down, though this is usually after a reset not a simple reboot. It's always fixed in the same way as you've found though, surprised it didn't work the first time. For now I don't think that's related to our original issues, though we'll keep note of it. Let us know if you experience another disconnection!

42 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Weird, OK so we're back up and running again now? We have seen it in the past where the WAN interface seems to stay down, though this is usually after a reset not a simple reboot. It's always fixed in the same way as you've found though, surprised it didn't work the first time. For now I don't think that's related to our original issues, though we'll keep note of it. Let us know if you experience another disconnection!

Yup all good as of 7:17PM EST.

I'm curious to see if anything changes when WAN dies again like maybe being able to access the GUI, all previous occurrences killed GUI access.

I'm hoping it doesn't go out at all though.

I'll keep you updated.