R2 Losing Connectivity to WAN

GenMatrix

I've decided to give the R2 another go (actually this like my 10th time lol) and see if the latest firmware would resolve the most glaring issue I've had with it since I've purchased it: complete loss of WAN connectivity every few days until power cycled.

Had a good 5 day run and it happened again @ 7AM EST, when little traffic is going through my network. I completely factory reset the unit when installed the firmware.

When this occurs, I cannot access the GUI. No webpages load. My NAS server and my Raspberry Pi are still accessible on my LAN but nothing via the internet works.

• IPV6 and WiFi are off.
  • I have Spectrum Cable internet rated 400 down and 20 up.
  • I have about 55 devices total.
  • Adblock and Hyrbid VPN are in use
  • QoS is always on with 94% on download and 80% on upload. (376 mbps down and 16 mbps up respectively), Only Apex Legends is turned on for my main PC on the prioritization section.
  • DHCP time is set to 168 hours.
  • UPNP is on.

So, I outlined all that above in hopes of skipping some of the usual back and forth of trying X items and seeing how it goes.

I have 3 R2's (purchased one, RMA'd it, got sent 2 for some reason and was told to keep my original and the other units) and each of them have exhibited the same WAN disconnect behavior. I've tried two different cable modems with the unit as well with the same behavior, the Motorola MB8611 and Arris SB8200.

All of this leads me to my question: How can I retrieve useful logs to see what's happening when considering what I noted above?

• Administrators

My first suggestion would be to disable Adblock & HybridVPN completely as those are both features that can impact your connection and see if you can make it past the 5 days, if you do and it all seems good then it could narrow the issue down a little.

Thanks for the suggestion Fraser, but in the past when it was disconnecting in the same exact way, I wasn't using either of those features. And I tested it on multiple units to rule out a hardware defect.

Hybrid VPN is something new I'm trying out this pass and Adblock as well as I was using Pi-Hole before.

It was on a different firmware version sure, but this issue has been present in all firmware versions for me, including the latest and I would really like to try and figure out the issue.

Is there any way to get a reliable log file to persist with information after a reboot?

• Administrators

Just to double check did you do a factory reset after the upgrade?

Enable remote support in WAN Settings and we can then enable remote logging, so when the issue happens we'll get the logs up until that point and should give us something to go on. Let us know once you've done that and we'll set that up for you.

41 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just to double check did you do a factory reset after the upgrade?

Yup, I went to extremes to make sure I did factory reset without introducing any variables other than the PC I was using to initially configure. I let it sit for about an hour, in case it needed to run through any before plugging in my Modem cable and my other devices (AP for wifi and dumb switches)

I've enabled the setting below.

image.png.3f479d293bfb8ad133a88c55a78a2af1.png

• Administrators

All good on that front, it's strange we aren't able to connect to you, are you able to login to the motorola modem with these details?

Username:   admin
Password:   motorola

If you are could you then provide a screenshot of what you see please?

• Administrators

Thanks for that, do you have Adblocker or Traffic Controller enabled? Basically, unless you have some settings enabled on the router that would impact traffic then there shouldn't be a reason you can't be accessed so if those are disabled is there anything else you may have enabled?

I disabled Hybrid VPN and Adblock.

Nothing configured on Traffic Controller.

I don't use Geo-Filter but I maxed out it's range to encompass the entire map.

I'm going to reboot the unit to see if that helps, since I haven't done it since I turned on the setting for remote access.

Rebooting has apparently nuked the router in terms of WAN. I can access the GUI fine but it appears to be having a DNS issue.

If I assign a different DNS on my PC manually it works but not if I allow it to configure automatically. 

Edit: Managed to get back online. Not sure why it was being so stubborn.

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We're not able to access currently, could you put the WAN IP from the R2 System Information page in the DMZ on your modem and let us know when you've done that please?

Is the WAN IP and Public IP supposed to be different? Just thought it was weird that one is masked and the other isn't, yet they are both the same.

2 hours ago, GenMatrix said:

Is the WAN IP and Public IP supposed to be different? Just thought it was weird that one is masked and the other isn't, yet they are both the same.

With the R2 in the DMZ, the public IP and the WAN IP will appear the same. If the R2 has another router above it and it's not in the DMZ it's show a LAN IP from the upstream router as it's WAN IP.

I've just accessed your R2 and enabled remote logging. Could you please let us know the next time you experience this issue?

I thought it just happened again. Lol. 

It just rebooted on it's own but I see that way just you guys on your end setting up. Will do.

I have a watchdog on on my NAS so I will know the exact time it goes down in EST and will let you know when it happens again.

I appreciate the support.

After the reboot I’m getting this on my main PC and no internet on all other devices. I’ve rebooted my modem and router and still having issues. 

This is the same thing that happened yesterday after the router rebooted.

Going to keep power cycling in hopes of getting it to work. 

D26D6473-6EA8-4E52-9281-9A8F2B5329CD.jpeg

I've managed to get it back online.

Just a few details to share

• GUI was working fine in the instances where the router reboots either through power cycle or GUI reboot (or in this latest case, enabling of remote logging).
  • All PC's I used stated DNS bad config on Edge browser.
  • Defining the DNS server manually in the screen shot below allowed the internet to work on my PC but not with Auto Config.

image.thumb.png.c8315acb8de416dbc7ff5056aa3f32a1.png