R2 Losing Connectivity to WAN

GenMatrix

8 hours ago, GenMatrix said:

Happened again at 9:45 PM EST on 8/7.

Right in the middle of our show. ~_~

Thanks for letting us know, I've found the error in the logs and it looks like it should be pretty useful. I've made a ticket with our developers for them to look into the issue further. I'll keep you updated.

Out of curiosity on my end, would you be willing to share what the error was? I'm no developer but maybe it might lead me to some insight on my network configuration. This has been happening since R2 was released and it doesn't seem wide spread so I have to believe there's something odd going on with my network set up.

Thanks for letting us know, to be honest it's hard for me to deduce exactly what the error was, I need the devs to tail it back and see what initially caused it.

There are an excessive amount of entries on DHCP, which may or may not be a hint. You've got a lot of devices on the network I see, so it'd be unreasonable to ask you to test reserving IP addresses for all of them. If you have spare time and are curious, feel free to give it a try, just make sure you give them IPs outside of the DHCP range. However, there's no guarantee this will be the solution so don't worry about it too much.

I've found the latest crash in your logs and updated the ticket for the devs, I'll let you know when I've heard back!

@Netduma Liam Do you mean devices that aren't showing offline in the Device Manager section? If so, hard to tell. The catalyst to prompt me to create this post happened early in the AM (so only smart home devices really) and the first log you gathered was @ 9PM (when all the apple TV's were streaming at the same time, maybe wife was on the phone too + smart home devices) 

I have a lot of smart home devices and we are primarily an apple household. Apple TV's, iPhones and iPads. There's around 55ish devices that connect to my mesh AP.

Does this help?

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the information! Of the 50+ devices are most left on & connected but not necessarily being used?

I think this is an accurate assumption since they need to be ready to operate when called upon via HomeKit.

The amount of smart home devices (light switches, security cameras ect) greatly outnumbers the number of active devices (PCs, Phones, Set Tops).

The Apple TV's function as Hubs though when it comes to uploading motion event to the cloud, so those are uploading video if there's a lot of movement on them.

1 hour ago, GenMatrix said:

I think this is an accurate assumption since they need to be ready to operate when called upon via HomeKit.

The amount of smart home devices (light switches, security cameras ect) greatly outnumbers the number of active devices (PCs, Phones, Set Tops).

The Apple TV's function as Hubs though when it comes to uploading motion event to the cloud, so those are uploading video if there's a lot of movement on them.

Great, thanks for confirming. I've passed this information onto a developer and we'll look into it further for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really honestly, apologies as I know that isn't helpful in the effort to figure out the root cause.

I got a lot of devices, and I haven't removed any from the equation, if anything, I've probably added more.