dns errors after a few hours?

Moray

Yeah we're definitely able to access the R2 because we use your WAN IP to do so, we're just not then getting any logging back from that IP.

Unfortunately those logs are related to any issues, we've noticed their frequency on the R2 but investigated and deduced that they are not caused by any particular issues as such.

I can understand your decision not to use the R2 for now, however you could also perhaps revert back to the old firmware and factory reset? It wouldn't necessarily help us solve the issue but at least it would improve your experience?

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

Yeah we're definitely able to access the R2 because we use your WAN IP to do so, we're just not then getting any logging back from that IP.

Unfortunately those logs are related to any issues, we've noticed their frequency on the R2 but investigated and deduced that they are not caused by any particular issues as such.

I can understand your decision not to use the R2 for now, however you could also perhaps revert back to the old firmware and factory reset? It wouldn't necessarily help us solve the issue but at least it would improve your experience?

id rather try to figure out what's going on with the new firmware on my device than have to revert it, i had nat issues on the previous firmware than i couldn't resolve, me just using my modem is just a necessity, as i don't have a spare ethernet port to use to leave the r2 plugged into the network if i need uninterrupted internet.

if you're not getting any logging that seems odd, is there anything we can do to so you do get the logs were looking for?

I also don't recall giving you guys my WAN ip, or any ip for my R2 other than what was in the log file i dm'd you the other day.

is there anyway, or anything i can do to give you more information about it?

• Administrators

By WAN IP in this case we mean your public IP address, so if the IP is the same as what you gave us we'll use that, otherwise the forum provides us with your IP so we can use that instead. I think it's just a case of us checking the logs each time it happens to see if there are any indications. However, one of your last points could be it, you said you had disabled all DNS settings on the R2, do you mean you unticked Use Upsteam DNS and didn't enter any manual ones? If so that could be a reason - DNS is important and so it should be set one way or another.

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

By WAN IP in this case we mean your public IP address, so if the IP is the same as what you gave us we'll use that, otherwise the forum provides us with your IP so we can use that instead. I think it's just a case of us checking the logs each time it happens to see if there are any indications. However, one of your last points could be it, you said you had disabled all DNS settings on the R2, do you mean you unticked Use Upsteam DNS and didn't enter any manual ones? If so that could be a reason - DNS is important and so it should be set one way or another.

so originally it was on upstream, then i tried manual then i tried nothing at all under the DHCP tab, the issue persisted through all those changes, in my isp modem i have always had the dns set as 1.1.1.1/8.8.8.8

Currently(changed this morning after it went down while i was asleep) under network im using the static setting instead of DHCP, with the IP set there and DNS override set as 1.1.1.1 primary, and 8.8.8.8 secondary.

ill keep an eye on it today while i'm away and see if the connection stays up and let you know

17 minutes ago, Moray said:

so, so far my connection hasn't gone down, but now i've run into the issue of being permanently stuck on moderate nat again.

The IP the R2 is getting from the modem may have changed, double check that and put the new one in the ISP DMZ if it has. That should resolve any NAT issues.

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

The IP the R2 is getting from the modem may have changed, double check that and put the new one in the ISP DMZ if it has. That should resolve any NAT issues.

the ip of my R2 never changes, its set to be 192.168.20.70 in my isp modem, i was never able to resolve the moderate nat issue even in the previous firmware version(i was alway open on the r1, and i'm always open with just my modem)

the first time i was able to have a open nat on the R2 was right after the firmware update, and while it was constantly losing access to the internet, it was open right up until i changed from DHCP to Static under Network settings-> WAN-> Network.

edit1: after it working all day it finally went down "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG"

edit2: im going to mess with my firewall settings in the morning and see if that has any effect on it to try and fix the nat issues, assuming the network stays up long enough to do so tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Moray said:

the ip of my R2 never changes, its set to be 192.168.20.70 in my isp modem, i was never able to resolve the moderate nat issue even in the previous firmware version(i was alway open on the r1, and i'm always open with just my modem)

the first time i was able to have a open nat on the R2 was right after the firmware update, and while it was constantly losing access to the internet, it was open right up until i changed from DHCP to Static under Network settings-> WAN-> Network.

edit1: after it working all day it finally went down "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG"

edit2: im going to mess with my firewall settings in the morning and see if that has any effect on it to try and fix the nat issues, assuming the network stays up long enough to do so tomorrow.

To confirm, are you noticing slow matchmaking/any other side effects of the moderate NAT type in games?

I'm currently looking into the issue of remote logging with a developer, I do believe this is going to be really helpful in working out the cause of the problem so as long as you're happy to still try that I'll update you once we've come up with a solution.

18 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

To confirm, are you noticing slow matchmaking/any other side effects of the moderate NAT type in games?

I'm currently looking into the issue of remote logging with a developer, I do believe this is going to be really helpful in working out the cause of the problem so as long as you're happy to still try that I'll update you once we've come up with a solution.

Having a open nat has dramatically increased the speed I can find matches in, it also resolved the issue of getting nat errors during in game voice chat while crossplaying in destiny 2.

And sounds good,  I lost connection to the internet here about 4 hours ago while I was asleep

edit: removing and readding the ports in my windows firewall seems to have opened my nat type in Destiny 2 without any alterations to the R2

edit2: those ports opened my nat for call of duty, but also in that time my internet cutout again with the same dns error

edit3: and it went down again just now

Alright so it happened again, and i thought what would happen if i just click save settings again under Network Settings -> WAN -> Network, and my internet comes back up without rebooting anything, and everything works fine until it cuts out the next time.

my dns override is set as 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1, its like i just lose connection to the DNS randomly

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, Moray said:

Alright so it happened again, and i thought what would happen if i just click save settings again under Network Settings -> WAN -> Network, and my internet comes back up without rebooting anything, and everything works fine until it cuts out the next time.

my dns override is set as 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1, its like i just lose connection to the DNS randomly

That's great information thank you, could you try setting the DNS on the PC as well and see if it drops out please?

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's great information thank you, could you try setting the DNS on the PC as well and see if it drops out please?

so all of the wifi right now is down on the R2, connected with no internet, but pages seem to be loading fine on the PC with the DNS set(for the moment that is)

its like the DNS override isn't being pushed out despite it being set on the R2

edit: i just tried on my switch, connecting with automatic DNS settings and it threw back a DNS error, i changed it to cloud fares dns on the device and it worked immediately without having to do anything else, ill update whether i lose connection on my pc at all here in a bit.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Looks like we have found the cause, thanks for trying that, I will pass this onto the team so they can reproduce it and work on a fix.

What was the cause?   After seeing this tread, I looked at my settings and realized that I had "upstream DNS" and "override DNS".  What issues would this cause?  I have subsequently turned off the "upstream dns" option.  

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, UK_Wildcats_Fans said:

What was the cause?   After seeing this tread, I looked at my settings and realized that I had "upstream DNS" and "override DNS".  What issues would this cause?  I have subsequently turned off the "upstream dns" option.  

I've you're not having an issue you don't need to touch that option, if you disable Upstream DNS you must use DNS override to enter manual DNS.

Issue at the very least is override isn't working for this user and possibly the router isn't taking into account the upstream DNS for some reason.

@Moraywhat is the model of your modem/router? I just want to check to see if there may be something conflicting

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I've you're not having an issue you don't need to touch that option, if you disable Upstream DNS you must use DNS override to enter manual DNS.

Issue at the very least is override isn't working for this user and possibly the router isn't taking into account the upstream DNS for some reason.

@Moraywhat is the model of your modem/router? I just want to check to see if there may be something conflicting

Its the Netcomm NF18ACV

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that, does it have an option to enable automatic assigned DNS?

This is the options I have,  or I can choose static which is how it is set right now

Screenshot_20220627-093026_Remote Desktop.jpg

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you let it do it automatically please and see if the issue continues?

so i swapped it over, and the internet was restored when i checked on wifi, ill let you know if it goes down after i get home.

so it appears to be still up, i cant tell if it went down at all while i was away

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Fingers crossed, keep us posted!

as far as i can tell it hasn't dropped yet, that said the DNS override still isn't working so im just on the default one for the R2 "192.168.77.1", when the override in the r2 is set to cloudfares.

edit: it most definitely went down while i was at work, so far the instant solution is to set a static ip/dns server on the device, anything without that seems to lose connection eventually due to a dns error 

9 hours ago, Moray said:

as far as i can tell it hasn't dropped yet, that said the DNS override still isn't working so im just on the default one for the R2 "192.168.77.1", when the override in the r2 is set to cloudfares.

edit: it most definitely went down while i was at work, so far the instant solution is to set a static ip/dns server on the device, anything without that seems to lose connection eventually due to a dns error 

OK, we're currently working on reproducing the issue so if you could set a static address on the device we'll keep working to troubleshoot the issue ourselves.

32 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, we're currently working on reproducing the issue so if you could set a static address on the device we'll keep working to troubleshoot the issue ourselves.

will do, best of luck :)

• 7 months later...
On 6/28/2022 at 10:21 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Did you ever find the cause of this issue? in the end i just had to stop using the r2 because it was so unreliable.