dns errors after a few hours?

Moray

so i updated to the new firmware and now im getting weird dns errors every few hours, webpages will stop loading, if i'm in discord i can still hear and talk to people but it goes to the discounted screen, if i'm in a game i wont be disconnected but if i relaunch the game i cant connect anymore.

if i click troubleshoot on my network adapters it just either says no problem, or "DNS server may be unavailable" 

the only solution i've found is to reboot the R2 every time this happens, this last time it lasted from 12:15pm to 7:23pm. i also saved the log from this run if anyone needs me to dm it to them.

edit: i also don't use QoS, or geofilter, and the internet is still running fine if i connect straight to the modem rather than the R2.

2 hours ago, Moray said:

so i updated to the new firmware and now im getting weird dns errors every few hours, webpages will stop loading, if i'm in discord i can still hear and talk to people but it goes to the discounted screen, if i'm in a game i wont be disconnected but if i relaunch the game i cant connect anymore.

if i click troubleshoot on my network adapters it just either says no problem, or "DNS server may be unavailable" 

the only solution i've found is to reboot the R2 every time this happens, this last time it lasted from 12:15pm to 7:23pm. i also saved the log from this run if anyone needs me to dm it to them.

edit: i also don't use QoS, or geofilter, and the internet is still running fine if i connect straight to the modem rather than the R2.

Since updating the firmware, have you factory reset the R2? If not, I'd suggest doing this as it's a big update and we want to ensure no old low-level code is still present from the previous firmware.

Try that and let us know if you're still having these issues.

16 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Excellent, thanks for letting us know.

12 hours so far and its been stable, and working:)

edit: 5 hours later, still going strong

20 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Excellent, thanks for letting us know.

At 8:58pm the error happened again 

Didn't get disconnected from discord, or destiny 2, same error pop-up "your DNS server might be unavailable" and could no longer access internet on any connected device, but a reboot fixed the issue again for now

Next time it happens, can you try accessing the DumaOS interface. If you can, go to System Information and download the log file, then send that over to us. We should then be able to see what happened when the issue occurred. Unfortunately we'll have to wait until it happens again as since the reboot, the logs will have been cleared.

25 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Next time it happens, can you try accessing the DumaOS interface. If you can, go to System Information and download the log file, then send that over to us. We should then be able to see what happened when the issue occurred. Unfortunately we'll have to wait until it happens again as since the reboot, the logs will have been cleared.

i dm'd you the log from that last time, but it just happened again.

2 hours ago, Moray said:

i dm'd you the log from that last time, but it just happened again.

Ah my apologies, I see. Could we perhaps setup some remote logging on your R2? That way we can see the full logs before, during and after the issue. 

To do this, please go to Network Settings -> WAN -> Enable remote access to tech support. Then Save.

Let me know when you've done so and I'll go in and setup the logging.

15 hours ago, Moray said:

I've turned that setting on now, the disconnect happened overnight again while I was asleep. 

OK thanks for letting me know. I've enabled remote logging now so please let us know if this occurs again and we'll have the full logs for it.

8 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK thanks for letting me know. I've enabled remote logging now so please let us know if this occurs again and we'll have the full logs for it.

it happened again overnight, ive dm'd you the log

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No worries about that, as we've enabled remote logging we'll have detailed logs on our end, I'll pass it on for Liam to have a look.

Thanks,  hopefully he can see what the issue is :)

edit: happened again since i updated 4 hours ago

Edit 2: just happened again less than 20 mins after restarting the router 

Edit 3: looks like it went down again at 1:04pm my time which was 39 minutes after the last reboot, at this stage it's become unusable, I'll have to run another cable from my modem to it to keep it online so you can remote into it but I can't use my network at home with the r2 running like this, it's too unstable.

edit 4: it happened again 

edit 5: and again, i don't actually have space for another cable so i will just have to disconnect it if i cant find a solution to this problem

Unfortunately the logs only tell us what happened after the reboot. We don't appear to have any remote logs from your unit either so I've gone in and double checked everything, then re-enabled it. Please let me know again next time the issue occurs.

10 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Unfortunately the logs only tell us what happened after the reboot. We don't appear to have any remote logs from your unit either so I've gone in and double checked everything, then re-enabled it. Please let me know again next time the issue occurs.

It happened again at 5:17am my time(3 hours ago), I'll leave it like it is for now so you can hopefully check the logs, but I'll Likely have to reset it in about 5 hours when I'm home. 

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Moray said:

It happened again at 5:17am my time(3 hours ago), I'll leave it like it is for now so you can hopefully check the logs, but I'll Likely have to reset it in about 5 hours when I'm home. 

As it's late and the weekend now (based in the UK) Liam won't be able to check this until Monday so go ahead and reset it so you have normal internet and we'll still have the info

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As it's late and the weekend now (based in the UK) Liam won't be able to check this until Monday so go ahead and reset it so you have normal internet and we'll still have the info

Alright, thanks.

have a good weekend :)

so over the weekend i had to just not use the r2 at all, the rate it was disconnecting was unusable.

now that i've reconnected to it im stuck on moderate nat type on all games, which is weird because connected directly to my modem i had open nat on everything.

ill be running it again unless it becomes unusable again, but having a moderate nat randomly is going to be a problem.

• Administrators

Thanks for letting us know, Liam has been off sick the last few days so I'll get him to look at it when he is back.

It's likely the WAN IP of the R2 has changed since it has been off and so the DMZ on the modem is invalid, double check the IP then put it in the DMZ again on the modem and you should get an Open NAT.

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for letting us know, Liam has been off sick the last few days so I'll get him to look at it when he is back.

It's likely the WAN IP of the R2 has changed since it has been off and so the DMZ on the modem is invalid, double check the IP then put it in the DMZ again on the modem and you should get an Open NAT.

I was able to get my nat to re open (for destiny 2 anyway I didn't check other stuff yet) by rebooting my isp modem and the r2 twice after reconnecting, my r2 as a static ip assigned for it so the WAN ip shouldn't have changed.

As for the disconnecting/dns errors I don't want to jinx it but its been working fine since I reconnected it, will update the post if anything happens, im sure there will be somthing in the logs that lets us know what went wrong.

Give Liam my best and hope he feels better soon 

Edit: the same issues happened just now, except this time I couldn't even access the page to reboot it

Edit2: just had to reboot it again, same issue.

Edit3: just happen again

13 hours ago, Moray said:

I was able to get my nat to re open (for destiny 2 anyway I didn't check other stuff yet) by rebooting my isp modem and the r2 twice after reconnecting, my r2 as a static ip assigned for it so the WAN ip shouldn't have changed.

As for the disconnecting/dns errors I don't want to jinx it but its been working fine since I reconnected it, will update the post if anything happens, im sure there will be somthing in the logs that lets us know what went wrong.

Give Liam my best and hope he feels better soon 

Edit: the same issues happened just now, except this time I couldn't even access the page to reboot it

Edit2: just had to reboot it again, same issue.

Edit3: just happen again

Apologies for the delay, I'm back, thank you!

I'm not sure what's going on here, we're not getting any logging from your R2. I'm going to get some developer input on this and see if we can work out why. After we enable logging etc, are you then changing/reverting anything in your setup that could potentially cause your WAN IP to change? Are you for example removing the R2 from the modem DMZ, or re-enabling any port forwarding rules?

13 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Apologies for the delay, I'm back, thank you!

I'm not sure what's going on here, we're not getting any logging from your R2. I'm going to get some developer input on this and see if we can work out why. After we enable logging etc, are you then changing/reverting anything in your setup that could potentially cause your WAN IP to change? Are you for example removing the R2 from the modem DMZ, or re-enabling any port forwarding rules?

Nothing has been changed on my modem, the WAN IP is and has always been set and reserved with the Mac address of my r2 and the r2 is in the dmz on my modem.

On the r2 while trying to troubleshoot nat type I added the destiny 2 pc ports to the portfoward tab, upnp has been turned on and off, dns upstream has been turned on and off, and i tried overriding the dns with cloudflares and turning both dns override and upstream off completely.

the issue has existed with or without those settings, in any combination since the firmware update.

The current setup is UpNp off, d2 pc ports open, with all dns settings disabled on my r2, and it just went down about 25 mins ago, I can't remote in to get all the settings for you because my connection to Google is down on my r2.

Are you sure you're looking at my r2? I was actually unsure how you know which one was mine after I enabled the setting.

Glad you're feeling better :)

Edit: super weird but now it's sorta back online, I can remote in but all web pages that weren't already open won't load, like right now I have a twitch stream open and its playing, but if I go to another page on twitch the page gives a dns error or you are offline message

Edit 2: it appears to have reconnected itself on its own since the previous edit 

I just remoted back in to my pc and saw that it was out again,  web pages aren't loading so I looked in my logs on the r2 and it's just spammed with the text in the attached image

Also now clicking "running windows network diagnostic" just throws back an error

Screenshot_20220623-150813_Remote Desktop.jpg

Screenshot_20220623-151304_Remote Desktop.jpg

Screenshot_20220623-151415_Remote Desktop.jpg

Edit: it went all the way offline this time

Screenshot_20220623-161550_Remote Desktop.jpg

ima have to unplug it and just not use it again, its way to unstabled right now to even do anything on my network