2GB Ethernet Port Router Planned?

Since ISP's are showcasing gigabyte download speeds I was wondering if plans are made for router that offers 2GB Ethernet ports?  So that you can get close to the cap of your download speeds of 1GB to 2GB range? 

11 hours ago, East said:

Since ISP's are showcasing gigabyte download speeds I was wondering if plans are made for router that offers 2GB Ethernet ports?  So that you can get close to the cap of your download speeds of 1GB to 2GB range? 

I certainly wouldn't rule it out, but there's nothing in the works just yet I'm afraid!

• 2 weeks later...

If that is not in the works they will fall behind at some point.

I can get 2Gbit service where I live in Asia. And my place in Europe will most likely get a 8Gbit PON-XGS fiber connection in the next 6 months. Will probably have to set up a PFSense box for this.

IMHO for me the only reason to buy new routers at the moment is multi gig service. Ie for the XR700 I am already using the 10Gbit internal feature but it lacks 2,5G/10G WAN service.

Even ISP boxes are have already started using 2,5Gbit ports.

The PON-XGS has been out for some time in France, we have 2 ISPs out of the 4 national ones which offer 8 Gbit in DL and the 2 others which currently only offer 2 Gbit (theoretical speed)..., I would be very interested to see a router signed with DumaOS allowing us to take advantage of it...!

• 2 months later...

There is one already. The XR700 can use a 10Gb SFP+ RJ45, and it can be switched in the configuration to be the WAN port.

Also some of the new Asus hardware supports faster WAN. Course they don't have DumaOS.

I must confess though I would like to see DumaOS on some top end routers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 10:36 AM, Harley said:

There is one already. The XR700 can use a 10Gb SFP+ RJ45, and it can be switched in the configuration to be the WAN port.

Also some of the new Asus hardware supports faster WAN. Course they don't have DumaOS.

I must confess though I would like to see DumaOS on some top end routers.

The issue is that while you can have 10G WAN, it will not transmit it to your LAN.

Highest you can get on LAN is 2G, and this is only if you connect it to a multi gig capable switch using link aggregation. Link aggregation usually tends to lead to a myrad of compatibility issues.

What the 10G port and LAG ports are meant to do is talk to a switch. Then you can run 10G or 2G to your router. This allows you to use the NAS / Plex functions without interrupting internet service.

XR700 is not a 10G capable router in the sense that it supports 10G internet speeds.