DD-WRT

davemarsden132

Anyone use DD-WRT I have been reading the above and am so confused haha! 

I have the R9000 - I installed DD-WRT as cant find OpenWRT for that router - I want to add a script to add a latency delay so i go to admin then commands. I then add the following commands

tc qdisc replace dev eth0 root netem delay 20ms
tc qdisc replace dev vlan2 root netem delay 20ms
tc qdisc replace dev vlan1 root netem delay 20ms
tc qdisc replace dev eth1 root netem delay 20ms
tc qdisc replace dev eth2 root netem delay 20ms
tc qdisc replace dev ath0 root netem delay 20ms
tc qdisc replace dev ath1 root netem delay 20ms

Which i was given by someone online - I have tried them 1 by 1 also.

This dosent do anything to the latency.

As i go into CMD and type Run. Then Ping 8.8.8.8 -t 

MY time fluctuates between 6ms and 8ms. 

With the above command shouldnt this have added 20ms onto that so making it 26-28ms?

Cheers in advance! 

No offence, but unless you know what you are doing I would stay off this :)

With the command set you are adding delays to all your interfaces not just one.

The command is wrong to my knowlage, the syntax would be:

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root netem delay 20ms (replace eth0 with your WAN interface)

This means that sending to WAN is delayed by 20ms. To delay download you will have to do this for the interface going to your PC. Or both if you want download/upload to increase equally.

Also not all versions of TC support Netem, so it depends on what is installed along with your DD-WRT version.

Also not all versions have Netem installed. 

Netem is more useful for console users that have no way of manipulating their network cards. In their case you have to either do it through the router or use a PC wih 2 NIC's installed and route your traffic through the PC.

If you want to experiment with this. There is a program for PC called Softperfect Connection Emulator. It will run on your PC and allows you to control latency directly via the network adapter. You can set it for specific port ranges or traffic types. So you can even delay only CoD traffic. It has a windows GUI and is easy to use. The only thing I am not sure of is if it will crash your game on PC (anti cheap same as wireshark) in that case renaming the executable is probaly enough.

Also there is a free program called clumsy which can delay traffic straight from your PC. It's a bit harder to use for grannular control but it's completely free to use. Same here you might have to rename it if anticheat detects it and shuts down your game. But good for experimentation since it's free.

I would rather not mess with anything for the anti cheat detection if you get me. I upgraded to Win11 before and had to change some security settings in Bios to allow the upgrade and the AntiCheat saw the difference and banned my account previously. 

Ill try that new code you have said cheers! 

So i added that Line but the WAN interface i'm not 100% i got right. I tried the eth0 and it did nothing so I went to Setup, Networking and my WAN Port Assignment is set to VLAN2 so i changed the eth0 to vlan2 in that command. Pressed run command, save startup, save shutdown, save firewall, save custom script. 

Tested ping again and it was still 8ms.