QoS on Fios

So, by using anti BB, I can have every Device be limited to using no more tHan what I set.

So I found 500/500 is the lowest possible speeds and the lowest impact on ping.

Since I put my game in Games console prio aka 1024-65535 UDP, those ports get FULL bandwidth since it supersedes QoS.

however I noticed my gameplay experience is worse and I get a lot of packet bursts.

Im thinking since games console is only UDP,

Could it be possible by limiting the bandwidth too much (500/500) I actually am squeezing it too little and causing TCP restransmissions 

netduma recommendation is to lower until it “feels right” but on paper, is we lower till ping doesn’t move, prio our “gaming packets”, in theory the lower we lower anti bb the better out experience will be. Why is that that’s not true? Bandwidth does matter for gaming then ? Takes less time to send and receive packets of I have a higher bandwidth?

• Administrators

What do you mean by 500/500 is the lowest possible speeds exactly? 

At those speeds I wouldn't really call it limited and wouldn't be causing any TCP retransmissions in of itself unless the ping is particularly bad. If you lower to the point where there is barely any bandwidth for devices to do anything then it won't necessarily help you, 500/500 is not that low. Gaming uses max 1Mbps and usually a lot less, ping can vary but isn't dependent on speeds

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What do you mean by 500/500 is the lowest possible speeds exactly? 

At those speeds I wouldn't really call it limited and wouldn't be causing any TCP retransmissions in of itself unless the ping is particularly bad. If you lower to the point where there is barely any bandwidth for devices to do anything then it won't necessarily help you, 500/500 is not that low. Gaming uses max 1Mbps and usually a lot less, ping can vary but isn't dependent on speeds

Like I throttled to 500/500 from gig to reduce the chance a Speedtest will affect a terminal ping . 

And that’s exactly what I said, so why is gameplay worse? More packet bursts and less stability. Why is that? I have 25 devices. 

I wish I had Gig speeds. Specially symmetrical..  With my connection when I use TP my gaming always feels off. And it plays worse. Idk why that is though either..  Do you have your Distribution Flower set even?  My biggest thing ive been trying to understand is why does TP make my gaming worse.. At the very least it should either make no difference or improve it. But it clearly makes it worse. This has been one of the things ive been trying to understand for sometime.  And I still get odd packet counts when using various options. Like Duma Classified Games or Game Console..   I also think one should be careful to not over buffer ones connection. Then one will get negative results. I rarely ever try to buffer my download. Because im not sure how much one can actually control download. Upload is a different story. We can buffer that.. When I try to buffer my download it gets all erratic and jittery. So I tend to leave it alone. But im still trying to understand that.. When one over buffers I think imo ones quality of connection seems to suffer.. Specially the download it seems.

Thanks!

Zippy.

Don't think you need more than 500-1000Kbps for gaming, especially cod, if that's what you play and what game I recommend you do the following for

Try limit your console to 1Mbps/1Mbps and work your way DOWN until you get good games. Unfortunately the bandwidth limiting in dumaos is weird and changes by itself even when no new devices are detected so you have to keep checking what your allocations are set to. I had mine set to around 0.8/0.4 for my console but next time I checked they were higher.

It would be nice to be able to manually set bandwidth and not have it auto adjust at all regardless whether new devices are detected or not. Not sure why it auto adjusts anyway, every other router that gives you the option to adjust bandwidth per device fixes that bandwidth until you change it yourself, it's why I can't use my R2 atm. Traffic prio also overrides whatever you fixed the bandwidth to meaning the game detects your full bandwidth and cripples you cause you have a good connection. This is why I could never have a good game with traffic prio on, regardless what ports I prioritized or used duma classified games/games console. Keep this off and adjust bandwidth low, see how you go