Vanguard lag, ports and port type ect

Private Greenie

I cannot achieve open NAT in vanguard dispite having open nat in console and all other COD games.

The in game connection settings page lists port :3075 at the end of internal IP.

the xbox network connection settings page defualts 3074 or allows a manual port to be selected of several random port numbers above 52000 

also xbox uses 3074 for toredo relay.

How can I improve things coz the game is hard to play when the connection is lucky dip, and things like what  sure you will think is a joke but something that happens so regularly I'm starting to feel like it is intended that.

Dieing while standing somewhere on the map, which happens to be directly in line of site of next spawn, with no friendlies close enough around to explain what happens next.

Respawning and seeing your previous life character still standing  firing its last shots and dieing. And occasionally seeing that spotted message flash on the bottom of the screen so momentarily it's only shown while you previous death player was still standing.

This is with allegedly no lag occurring and maintaining 21ms ping on a connection that has proven reliability and spikes occur so infrequently of a few ms at most. I play only with all other devices in house fully turned off, and wifi disabled. Also console is set so I have to manually check for game and device updates.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel that the likely senerio is due to the use of TCP connections for some of the gameplay data on addition to UDP, and due to the conflicting priorities of their design in regards to transmission of data.

is there anything I can do? Another thing is my movement speed is so much slower others that sprinting next to others with full movement optimising class they are able to increase there distance from me 100% of the time.

FYI im on series x running 120hz with game st 120hz on appropriate monitor supporting monitor tested with and without VRR settings enabled and also when running everything set to 60hz, and in all attempts the results are the same, if any of that may effect things.

9 hours ago, Private Greenie said:

I cannot achieve open NAT in vanguard dispite having open nat in console and all other COD games.

The in game connection settings page lists port :3075 at the end of internal IP.

the xbox network connection settings page defualts 3074 or allows a manual port to be selected of several random port numbers above 52000 

also xbox uses 3074 for toredo relay.

How can I improve things coz the game is hard to play when the connection is lucky dip, and things like what  sure you will think is a joke but something that happens so regularly I'm starting to feel like it is intended that.

Dieing while standing somewhere on the map, which happens to be directly in line of site of next spawn, with no friendlies close enough around to explain what happens next.

Respawning and seeing your previous life character still standing  firing its last shots and dieing. And occasionally seeing that spotted message flash on the bottom of the screen so momentarily it's only shown while you previous death player was still standing.

This is with allegedly no lag occurring and maintaining 21ms ping on a connection that has proven reliability and spikes occur so infrequently of a few ms at most. I play only with all other devices in house fully turned off, and wifi disabled. Also console is set so I have to manually check for game and device updates.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel that the likely senerio is due to the use of TCP connections for some of the gameplay data on addition to UDP, and due to the conflicting priorities of their design in regards to transmission of data.

is there anything I can do? Another thing is my movement speed is so much slower others that sprinting next to others with full movement optimising class they are able to increase there distance from me 100% of the time.

FYI im on series x running 120hz with game st 120hz on appropriate monitor supporting monitor tested with and without VRR settings enabled and also when running everything set to 60hz, and in all attempts the results are the same, if any of that may effect things.

What's the exact make and model of your modem? Is it a pure modem (No Wi-Fi) or is it a modem/router combo (Wi-Fi)? 

There were reports early in the games life that no matter what you do, the game client will report a moderate NAT. I'm not sure if that's been fixed or not yet but given the issue you're reporting, perhaps not.

Where are you reading your ping, in-game or from Geo-filter?

How do you have QoS setup? From your other post I see you've added a lot of custom rules, can you please try enabling DumaOS classified games and check if that improves your experience at all?

sorry for making extra posts, i thought doing so would make solving 1 issue separately an easier process.

I am using a arris CM8200b and it is a cable modem on a HFC network. i am directly connected to it.

The custom ports you saw was my attempt to try to identify which ports were being used to determine whether traffic could be identified on the different ports, so i could determine whether traffic was occurring on them. and this was after having poor performance using the default QOS classified option for some time. infact i suspected it could have been making it worse and wasnt able to determine that as even when having the classified games off and no other priorities set my experience was the same, due to it prioritising significantly more upload packets then downloads which surely isnt appropriate for how its intended to work. Downloads should at least be the same if not the one which is much higher.

shouldn't the server update my console with the game state at least as often as my console updates the server which my actions in  game?

my ping is the value shown in game and briefly confirmed sing the geofilter, however basing that from the auto pings selection of peer as no dedicated server is being shown or identified in my area. my connection has been connecting to the game servers at this level for many years and ive confirmed there to be no issues regarding it using several methods included running ping plotter on my PC to a server while also gaming to reviewing the results shows no spikes greater then a few ms. 

i received A+ in all categories when using the netduma connection benchmark and doing so at different times of the day and trying multiple during the peak internet usage times of the afternoon and evenings and received the same results. Same goes for when  using sites such as DSL reports and doing a test there as well as checking for buffer bloat.

The info regarding how the xbox is using ports and not using UDP for all traffic was what i was hoping to gather enough evidence of to seek guidance of a work around for. This amounts to a large part of the traffic listed when using the network monitor and unknown traffic amounts to another large chuck and is only a fraction of the size compared to the remainder of the data shown and many tests done while having the game played and i selecting the pie charts. 

It also is something ive long suspected is getting worse due to the xbox network setting page for years telling people there connected using IPv4 and to go to xbox.com/ipv6 and spruiking the benefits of using such, and Microsoft has been transitioning all their infrastructure to it as the primary way to connect for several years however while i have IPv6 off currently when using it enabled the game still reports using IPv4 so disabling IPv6 was another troubleshooting method tried with no change

• Administrators

@Private Greenie we're looking at the Network Monitor not reporting the Xbox correctly, Zippy has reported it. 

Check the ports the game requires and then make manual rules for those and select the Apply to WAN option, if your ISP supports it you'll have an added performance. I suspect you may find a better experience but forcing servers with a slightly higher ping.

Your nat is open on Vanguard, it is an xbox bug as said above! Your experience will not be changed, it's a waste of time on xbox! The 20th friend with whom I play regularly all have a moderate nat on Xbox series or one on vanguard!