DSCP VERIZON Tags

Ok so apparently Verizon’s new router G3100 has some sort of QoS built in — similar to traffic prio but this one reads DSCP ?

See towards the bottom of this image.

Can someone try to decipher what they mean below? Maybe it’s in regards to QoS packet scheduler on a pc? 

Does the APPLY to WAN feature in traffic prio add DSCP tags? If so, it may be compatible with Verizon, however I want to confirm with w netduma first

1DB640B9-406C-4836-B253-78AE27293744.png

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes it looks like it would support the Apply to WAN feature which does add priority tags

Does the APPLY TO WAN feature use DSCP? 

what are the advantages of dSCP?

It can be that hey honor DSCP tags, but most in reality don't.

Ie is it just router features or are they actively supporting it?

With DSCP tags you can give different weights to different packets. Or better said you can add a priority level. This makes end to end QoS possible. There is ways to set DSCP tags on your PC as well for outgoing traffic (via local group policy editor, easy to look up in Google). Switches and routers can then attach a priority queue to this traffic class, this way you are able to achieve end to end QoS.

Here is also one of your first issues, they are not telling you what classes they map to what queue. Second is they can strip your DSCP tag and add their own, to prevent a user setting the highest class for all their traffic. This is the reason why most drop these tags by default, unless it's a specific class needed for their services like VoIP and so on. It would be easy to abuse it.

Here is DSCP/DiffServ on my switch:

I map incoming traffic with destination port UDP 3074 to a traffic class:

image.thumb.png.d6d70941c8fb537284d516a7eb67836b.png

Then I attach this traffic class to a policy:

I set the DSCP flag to Expedited Forwarding.

image.png.035ebb4eeefaa320a871c939d17a03dd.png

Now that I have a policy, I need to define which priority I give this traffic:

EF (Expedited Forwarding) is set to Queue 7, which is the highest priority queue on this switch, in total we have 8 from 0 to 7.

image.png.11228152710fdc4c7d9df9ec8db3d1c4.png

The DSCP tags should actually be forwarded to my router, XR700 but no idea if it accepts them since XR700 runs it's own QoS.

But you can see another issue here, with so many different traffic classes it's hard to know what Netduma traffic prio is equivalen to, I would think it's EF but not sure.

Is it helping me? Doubtful, maybe during large internal file transfers but otherwise it's hard to say. I would not typically make such transfers while playing a game anyhow. (never tried either now that I think of it) This level of QoS is overkill for home use, like trying to shoot flies with a cannon.

17 minutes ago, Bert said:

With DSCP tags you can give different weights to different packets. Or better said you can add a priority level. This makes end to end QoS possible. There is ways to set DSCP tags on your PC as well for outgoing traffic (via local group policy editor, easy to look up in Google). Switches and routers can then attach a priority queue to this traffic class, this way you are able to achieve end to end QoS.

Here is also one of your first issues, they are not telling you what classes they map to what queue. Second is they can strip your DSCP tag and add their own, to prevent a user setting the highest class for all their traffic. This is the reason why most drop these tags by default, unless it's a specific class needed for their services like VoIP and so on. It would be easy to abuse it.

EF (Expedited Forwarding) is set to Queue 7, which is the highest priority queue on this switch, in total we have 8 from 0 to 7.

The DSCP tags should actually be forwarded to my router, XR700 but no idea if it accepts them since XR700 runs it's own QoS.

But you can see another issue here, with so many different traffic classes it's hard to know what Netduma traffic prio is equivalen to, I would think it's EF but not sure.

Is it helping me? Doubtful, maybe during large internal file transfers but otherwise it's hard to say. I would not typically make such transfers while playing a game anyhow. (never tried either now that I think of it)

Right now we are getting somewhere.

I wonder if admins can pitch in on which queue type is used. 

but I definitely notice a MASSIVE difference with it enabled vs off.

So it does something.

If the Verizon isp router does it automatically, then their backbone network probably accepts all DSCP tags especially if I am feeling it while enabled and not feeling great when it’s disbaled. 

On your xr700 you actually don’t have the option yet cus it’s a duma os 3.0 feature.

Also, is it better to have DSCP tags at the device level aka QoS packet scheduler on a PC or At the router level like netduma can do 

On 12/16/2021 at 9:38 PM, Bert said:

Is it helping me? Doubtful, maybe during large internal file transfers but otherwise it's hard to say. I would not typically make such transfers while playing a game anyhow. (never tried either now that I think of it) This level of QoS is overkill for home use, like trying to shoot flies with a cannon.

Here is Verizon’s comments on DSCP and Packet priority 802.pq packet priority 

From what I read, it sounds like they support it but have dialed bandwidth back a over the years 

613F37C3-5093-444D-9E37-FE798F5E3C95.png