Upload / Downaload Latency

CRarsenxL

What’s the importance of upload and download latency in very granular details?

my understanding is

upload Latency is VERY important. This is your bullets, your movement and any action YOU do. You want the lowest latency possible on the upload side. 

For download, this one is the one that’s got me wondering. Does it even matter ? Everything is getting downloaded as fast as possible anyway? Maybe bloat? If anytning , throttling download could cause things to be loaded slower on the map, enemies and maps etc

In my own testing, on a gig VZ Fios line, I’ve found barely touch download

and lower upload a ton to get the least am of latency on that upload

DOWNLOD 80-100%

UPLOD50-70%

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Latency of any kind is never good, if you're lagging on download then you won't be seeing everything as it really is, people may be skipping around etc.

I’ve noticed that in game — I’ll run a wireless fast.com speed test, the packet loss % counter on PC and ps5 can show 1% at times but when I run diagnostics via ping plotter, no packet loss on the download bloat. Is that bc the rate at which ICMP is used in games is .5 vs 2.5 on ping plotter?

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

With a speed test you're saturating the network, a download will take as much bandwidth as it can so doesn't leave much for other devices, ICMP doesn't use much bandwidth in comparison.

You’re not understanding man. I diagnosed the line with speed tests. Using ping plotter the line wa stable even during the speed test.

in game , when I run the speed test, I get packet loss 

• Administrators

Are you using Armor, PPPoE, VLAN, IPv6 or DHCP identifiers?

Yes but they'll never get as big as a slower connection so will be hard to saturate the line but Traffic Prio will still work just the same. It's very hard to test it without saturating the line and creating a network queue that TP can overcome, otherwise results will appear like it does nothing as if there is no queue its not prioritizing over anything or prioritizing over a very small queue.

20 hours ago, CRarsenxL said:

I swear QoS don’t work right on the xr1000… it works fine after reboot. It’s like kernel or conntrack gets full and QoS goes to rip 

Not sure if it's because of my QOS rules or something else... after few days of playing, all my games become so laggy, even rebooting doesn't help.

Only factory reset works like a miracle. XR1000, PS5, wired.

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Jackal235 said:

Not sure if it's because of my QOS rules or something else... after few days of playing, all my games become so laggy, even rebooting doesn't help.

Only factory reset works like a miracle. XR1000, PS5, wired.

38 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No armor activated, installed

No PPPoE, it's modem mac identification from ISP

No virtual networks

DHCP identifier?- I'm only assigning static IP for my console in LAN DHCP address reservation.

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, Jackal235 said:

No armor activated, installed

No PPPoE, it's modem mac identification from ISP

No virtual networks

DHCP identifier?- I'm only assigning static IP for my console in LAN DHCP address reservation.

After a reset what settings do you change specifically? What does a typical day of network usage for you look like?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

After a reset what settings do you change specifically? What does a typical day of network usage for you look like?

I would set my 5G wifi, disable 2.4 radio, name my devices, set static PS5 IP in LAN, bandwidth allocation to devices, auto setup congestion control (always active), set custom prio rules for COD involving port 3074, disable duma classified games, disable upnp, add port forward to 3074 UDP/TCP. I would also sometimes use the geo filter for vanguard, either close or far away form my location.

There are 2 smart TVs in my net, PS5,  laptop, cell phone, iptv box which streams lots of video. However... I turn the box off when gaming.

My net map looks as below. Hope that answers all your questions.

myNet.png.f1d9718a64263feb3d12791b09d07665.png 

9 hours ago, Jackal235 said:

I would set my 5G wifi, disable 2.4 radio, name my devices, set static PS5 IP in LAN, bandwidth allocation to devices, auto setup congestion control (always active), set custom prio rules for COD involving port 3074, disable duma classified games, disable upnp, add port forward to 3074 UDP/TCP. I would also sometimes use the geo filter for vanguard, either close or far away form my location.

There are 2 smart TVs in my net, PS5,  laptop, cell phone, iptv box which streams lots of video. However... I turn the box off when gaming.

My net map looks as below. Hope that answers all your questions.

Thanks! Are the rules you're setting in Traffic Prioritisation consistently detecting traffic when you're playing? How does the gameplay differ with this configuration compared to when you use the DumaOS classified games rule?

5 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks! Are the rules you're setting in Traffic Prioritisation consistently detecting traffic when you're playing? How does the gameplay differ with this configuration compared to when you use the DumaOS classified games rule?

Yes, I have 3 prio rules, which show constant traffic when playing. To be honest... I don't feel any difference whether it's duma classified, my rules or no rules at all.

The only noticeable difference is... when I play just after factory reset or couple days later.

prio.thumb.PNG.db8119b8857775e019b5d2c6ba46a67c.PNG

18 hours ago, Jackal235 said:

Yes, I have 3 prio rules, which show constant traffic when playing. To be honest... I don't feel any difference whether it's duma classified, my rules or no rules at all.

The only noticeable difference is... when I play just after factory reset or couple days later.

prio.thumb.PNG.db8119b8857775e019b5d2c6ba46a67c.PNG

How long have you had those rules configured for? They're not prioritising very much traffic at all, that's likely your issue. I'd suggest re-enabled DumaOS classified games and check that the Download and Upload packet counts are rapidly increasing. See how your gameplay feels after this.