WiFi devices cannot see wired devices

I recently replaced my old Nighthawk R8000P with a XR1000. For some reason now I am unable to connect my phone to my wired TV. I have another TV connected using WiFi and it works. Checked the router settings and cannot find anything obvious. Shutdown the new router and powered up the old and everything works fine. Any idea what setting I need to change to get this to work?

Had the same thought. Switched TV to WiFi and I can connect to it with my phone. My network is setup as follows.

Comcast modem -> XR1000 -> Nighthawk S8000 8-port switch -> wired devices

|->WiFI

S8000 cannot hand out IP adresses etc, it's managed but it's a L2 switch. The DHCP client is purely so it gets a managment adress.

Could be a wrong VLAN selection though if you have that configured.

If you have any of that wrong the TV won't connect to internet at all.

The first thing to check is if the TV actually gets a IP adress from the router that is on the same subnet. 

Thanks for your feedback. In re-reading the S8000 manual to figure out how to configure it, I found my mistake. I re-pulled some network cables and when I plugged them into the switch I did not put the router cable in the right port. Had it in port 7 and it needed to be in port 8. After I moved it everything started working just fine. Thanks again!

Well that did not last long. Worked at first and then stopped. Checked the switch and it does not have any VLANs setup. Then checked the IP of the TV and my phone. Both are the same subnet. Puzzling what is so different from the old router to the new.

S8000 doesn't have a dedicated uplink port.

8 is set to uplink by default but it's just a name. It can use various QoS profiles like that. If you plug your TV in your uplink port it should still work fine.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:24 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you able to connect the TV direct to the router via ethernet, bypassing the switch and see if that works?

I ran a cable on the floor from the TV directly to the router. In this configuration I was able to connect to it using my phone. One thing I noticed is that when I unplugged the cable from my TV it did not drop off the device list. Should it not have moved to the offline area? Also noticed that the TV has two IP's listed on its status in the router. Not sure where this other IP is coming from. Tried to remove the TV from the router device status list but it will not let me because it shows it is online. I even unplugged the cable from my router that goes to all other wired devices and none of them changed to the offline group. That to me is strange.

9 hours ago, mlott132 said:

I ran a cable on the floor from the TV directly to the router. In this configuration I was able to connect to it using my phone. One thing I noticed is that when I unplugged the cable from my TV it did not drop off the device list. Should it not have moved to the offline area? Also noticed that the TV has two IP's listed on its status in the router. Not sure where this other IP is coming from. Tried to remove the TV from the router device status list but it will not let me because it shows it is online. I even unplugged the cable from my router that goes to all other wired devices and none of them changed to the offline group. That to me is strange.

When you say you disconnected the cable that goes to all other wired devices, is this to the switch? 

Perhaps one IP is from when it was connected via Wi-Fi?

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

When you say you disconnected the cable that goes to all other wired devices, is this to the switch? 

Perhaps one IP is from when it was connected via Wi-Fi?

Yes, this was the cable that went to the switch. The only cables connected to the router were from the cable modem and my PC. All other LAN devices were disconnected from the router. Switched TV to WiFi and noticed the IP was .12. TV also shows up as LAN device at .10.

Devices that have multiple interfaces like wifi and LAN have 2 different adapters and each have their own MAC adress. So if you switch from LAN to wifi it will be recognized as a different physical device.

I don't know how this device map recognizes devices but it's not always correct. Like on mine my Hue box shows offline at the moment while it's physically connected to the router and working. Then all of a sudden it moves to online. It must poll it at certain intervals or so.

26 minutes ago, mlott132 said:

Yes, this was the cable that went to the switch. The only cables connected to the router were from the cable modem and my PC. All other LAN devices were disconnected from the router. Switched TV to WiFi and noticed the IP was .12. TV also shows up as LAN device at .10.

It seems odd that these devices still show as online after being disconnected. How long did you leave it disconnected? I imagine they won't show as offline eventually, it may just take a few minutes and a refresh of the page.

9 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

It seems odd that these devices still show as online after being disconnected. How long did you leave it disconnected? I imagine they won't show as offline eventually, it may just take a few minutes and a refresh of the page.

They were disconnected for five minutes.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, mlott132 said:

They were disconnected for five minutes.

I believe the WiFi devices will change on the Device Manager faster than wired, how long does it take for wireless devices to go to offline?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay have an update on this issue. Had to move the router to get a stronger signal throughout the house. This allowed me to pull new CAT6 cables from my modem and each of the two 8-port switches to the new router location.

After all of that, there was no change. Then I found another strange issue. I cannot have both smart tv's using WIFI at the same time. When I do I cannot stream to the upstairs tv. After I switch the downstairs tv to wired the upstairs tv works. Strange for sure.

As a test I decided to changeout the 8-port Nighthawk switch with a dumb FS105 Netgear unmanaged switch. Switched the downstairs tv to wired connection and was able to stream from my phone to the tv. Changed back to the Nighthawk switch and it did not work. So there is something going on within my switch config? Double checked the switch config and it is set to no VLANs. 

Got it figured out. Opened a support ticket with Netgear. One of their thoughts was do perform factory reset on the S8000 switches. After both were reset everything worked! Thanks again for all your help on this. Was super frustrating figuring this out!