Playing 1440p videos on YT

jdmefsir

I am experiencing a lot of buffering when watching anything on YouTube in 1440p. I normally get around 800mbps down and 40ish up. I have tried qos on AUTO and never and get the same results.

This is on a desktop with Ethernet connection. I have attached a speedtest and a benchmark.

Can someone give me an idea of what settings to maybe change? Is there a beta version i can upgrade to for software that may help?

This is on the R2 btw modem is an sb8200

speedtest.png

benchmark.png

From the screenshot you posted your showing 37% packet loss.. That would cause buffering.. Not to mention watching videos would likely even stall or stop.. You basically should have zero packet loss...

Id try disabling QoS fully.. Then test again to see if you have that type of packet loss.. Try to narrow down where this might be coming from.. 

Thanks!

Zippy.

17 hours ago, trex2600 said:

How powerful is your desktop? It may be the desktop itself and not internet speed. Make sure your GPU/CPU/RAM/SSD/HDD can handle 1440p. Does it lag when you play 1440p @60 FPS or 1440p 30 FPS? I have a chromebook (For example) and it can play 720p @60 FPS, 1080p @50 FPS, or 1440p @30 FPS without lagging. Anything higher than that and it starts buffering, even though my internet speed is 200/10. For more debug info, right click and then select "Stats for nerds" and it'll tell you about the connection speed and frame drops. If you have a high frame drop, it can mean your PC isn't powerful enough to handle 1440p.

desktop specs

Crosshair VIII hero
3900x
2080ti
gskill 32gb ram 3200mhz
nvme 1tb os drive
Water cooled.

PC isnt the issue.
10 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

@jdmefsir What firmware version are you currently running? This is on an R2, correct?

What is the exact make and model of your modem and how are there any other devices connected to it besides the R2?

arris sb8200

yes r2 with most recent firmware 3.0.205

desktop is the only thing hardlined. Everything else is wifi. Only have about 5 devices total connected. Nothing is using all my bandwidth

8 hours ago, Zippy said:

From the screenshot you posted your showing 37% packet loss.. That would cause buffering.. Not to mention watching videos would likely even stall or stop.. You basically should have zero packet loss...

Id try disabling QoS fully.. Then test again to see if you have that type of packet loss.. Try to narrow down where this might be coming from.. 

Thanks!

Zippy.

I only show packet loss with the dumaos benchmark. I switched DNS and packet  loss is gone. Ran 10 tests since with zero issues

Connection benchmarks are now showing no packet loss after changing from isp dns to cisco open dns but still having issues with playing any video over 1080p with no buffering

test.png

18 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When you're attempting to play the video in 1440p can you right click the video and click stats for nerds please and then wait a few seconds and take a screenshot please?

Yes as soon as i am home

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When you're attempting to play the video in 1440p can you right click the video and click stats for nerds please and then wait a few seconds and take a screenshot please?

so today sometime during work my internet went out and i had to reboot the equipment when i came home now everything is ok

9 hours ago, jdmefsir said:

so today sometime during work my internet went out and i had to reboot the equipment when i came home now everything is ok

OK, let us know if that becomes a regular occurance. Were you able to capture the screenshot Fraser mentioned?

6 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, let us know if that becomes a regular occurance. Were you able to capture the screenshot Fraser mentioned?

I didnt grab one becuase it was showing no lost packets on any of the videos i was watching after the reboot and dns change. So im hoping it was just a dns issue or the reboot solved it for what ever reason. Ill keep it updated if anything else changes