QOS stops working after 48hrs

I have noticed the same thing. After firmware updates from 104 108 114 and 120. I've now down graded firmware back to 56 original shipping firmware. I find qos is so so so out of sync in the current state. For example After factory resets the settings don't change. If you assign traffic prioritization to a console then factory reset the console is not displayed but is there in the background. You then have to load up the DumaOS app to be able to see it as it won't show in Google chrome. All interfaces used to set up the router do not sync and some settings you see enabled are actually not.

I don't have this issue half as bad on the 56 firmware and I also notice much better bufferbloat readings after setting up qos. I'm not sure if they use a different qos system/throughput but in my experience it's better

The only down side to 56 is that you CAN NOT assign bandwidth limits to the up and down individually.

I'd love the duma 3.0 to work and correctly delete and rest the qos settings but as it stands you can't actually work out what is doing what. 

I spent an hour the other day on qos enabling disabling turning always on to never and back again, changing speeds from 1000 back to my isp speeds and all of my tests came back in the 60mb range when I had set up to max out at 40. THEN out of nowhere enabling and disabling everything again it worked. Don't ask me how as I have no idea lol but yh the qos page needs a good fix and the ability to fully be reset.

As I've just moved I'm unable to carry on testing and giving my input on here so I'm sticking to firmware 56 until I see and read some good reports

Hope this helps in anyway

9 hours ago, Newfie said:

How have you connected the X300 from the homehub ie. DMZ, modem mode?

Is it the bufferbloat control that stops working?

I tried putting it in and out of the dmz and it doesn't change anything other than giving me an open nat type instead of moderate.

5 hours ago, l2eactionz said:

I have noticed the same thing. After firmware updates from 104 108 114 and 120. I've now down graded firmware back to 56 original shipping firmware. I find qos is so so so out of sync in the current state. For example After factory resets the settings don't change. If you assign traffic prioritization to a console then factory reset the console is not displayed but is there in the background. You then have to load up the DumaOS app to be able to see it as it won't show in Google chrome. All interfaces used to set up the router do not sync and some settings you see enabled are actually not.

I don't have this issue half as bad on the 56 firmware and I also notice much better bufferbloat readings after setting up qos. I'm not sure if they use a different qos system/throughput but in my experience it's better

The only down side to 56 is that you CAN NOT assign bandwidth limits to the up and down individually.

I'd love the duma 3.0 to work and correctly delete and rest the qos settings but as it stands you can't actually work out what is doing what. 

I spent an hour the other day on qos enabling disabling turning always on to never and back again, changing speeds from 1000 back to my isp speeds and all of my tests came back in the 60mb range when I had set up to max out at 40. THEN out of nowhere enabling and disabling everything again it worked. Don't ask me how as I have no idea lol but yh the qos page needs a good fix and the ability to fully be reset.

As I've just moved I'm unable to carry on testing and giving my input on here so I'm sticking to firmware 56 until I see and read some good reports

Hope this helps in anyway

I tried downgrading from the newest firmware to version .38 and that had no effect on it. Is there possibly other firmware versions that would be better?

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for your feedback, we're aware of the issues here but it's always really useful to hear individual user's experience with them. Keep an eye out for when we release new versions in the future!

Can't wait :)

17 hours ago, Roses said:

I tried downgrading from the newest firmware to version .38 and that had no effect on it. Is there possibly other firmware versions that would be better?

What indication do you see that QoS has stopped working? For example, are you seeing full speeds returned or are you seeing lag in-game?

I would be playing cod with the ping stable and then all of a suden i hear the tv behind me start playing amazon prime video and my ping would shoot up by around 30 ms when it would never go up more than 1-2ms.I find the qos for wifi hurts my ethernet devices more than wifi - wifi.

Also, I was looking at my pingplotter graphs and I see a lot of spikes while on ethernet. Any ideas?

https://prnt.sc/11rnals

11 hours ago, Roses said:

Yes all devices are connected to the XR the only ethernet device is my pc. I have about 8-10 devices that are on wifi. 

Here is the new pingplotter graph

https://prnt.sc/11s2ogv

What network activity was there when this test was run? If you run a test with no network activity and then another with some activity such as streaming, how do the two graphs differ?

That was with one stream of netflix on roku, discord open on two computers, playing cod league play and some snapchatting.

https://prnt.sc/11ta1oc

First circle is downloading cod update on desktop (ethernet) with a speedtest running and web search on a mac.

Second circle is speedtest on a mac (wifi). 

Third circle is opening up a youtube video on a mac (wifi).

Btw my settings never spiked more than 5ms before.

• Administrators

Use this guide if needed (PingPlotter) and saturate your connection with downloads/streams etc and adjust Anti-bufferbloat percentages (set to Always) until you find a value that lowers the spikes as much as possible http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Hey I'd like to give some more advice on the matter as this has happened to me again it could be qos not functioning properly.

For a while I would run tests on the laptop and see great dslreport readings for bufferbloat after setting up qos. 

Then after connecting my phone and running a speed test I would be reaching max speeds thinking how and why.

It turns out again sometimes after you set qos up and then connect a device it can sometimes not be placed into or categorised into the qos for whatever reason (and that most definitely isn't the correct terminology) but yeah I'd then jump on the ps5 run a speed test and also see my ps5 hitting max speeds while my laptop had actually functioned correctly and the qos was running on that. my ps5 and phone was not somehow.

While using the older .56 firmware qos works as it should and I find little to no bugs other than the initial downgrade and having to reset qos fully after a factory reset.

Hope this helps and the team to figure it out. Must be hard having to create something like this on a product that isn't there's and run everything by them probably 

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, l2eactionz said:

Hey I'd like to give some more advice on the matter as this has happened to me again it could be qos not functioning properly.

For a while I would run tests on the laptop and see great dslreport readings for bufferbloat after setting up qos. 

Then after connecting my phone and running a speed test I would be reaching max speeds thinking how and why.

It turns out again sometimes after you set qos up and then connect a device it can sometimes not be placed into or categorised into the qos for whatever reason (and that most definitely isn't the correct terminology) but yeah I'd then jump on the ps5 run a speed test and also see my ps5 hitting max speeds while my laptop had actually functioned correctly and the qos was running on that. my ps5 and phone was not somehow.

While using the older .56 firmware qos works as it should and I find little to no bugs other than the initial downgrade and having to reset qos fully after a factory reset.

Hope this helps and the team to figure it out. Must be hard having to create something like this on a product that isn't there's and run everything by them probably 

Which router are you referring to specifically, XR500? 

What settings specifically were changed?

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Which router are you referring to specifically, XR500? 

What settings specifically were changed?

Was open reach hgc modem to xr500 using the new 120 firmware. Its very odd the way qos works and doesn't pick things up. I'm.not even sure myself what changed I just know after enabling and disabling everything for 10 15 mins it finally took and set up qos. I've literally just downloaded 120 again as I'm off work and same thing set al the qos up run a speed test and nothing is actually working I'm still hitting my max speeds around 64mb when I've set the limit to 40 odd 

18 minutes ago, l2eactionz said:

Was open reach hgc modem to xr500 using the new 120 firmware. Its very odd the way qos works and doesn't pick things up. I'm.not even sure myself what changed I just know after enabling and disabling everything for 10 15 mins it finally took and set up qos. I've literally just downloaded 120 again as I'm off work and same thing set al the qos up run a speed test and nothing is actually working I'm still hitting my max speeds around 64mb when I've set the limit to 40 odd 

Do you have any custom traffic prioritisation rules added? If so, it may be that these devices are being prioritised and therefore bypassing QoS entirely.

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

Do you have any custom traffic prioritisation rules added? If so, it may be that these devices are being prioritised and therefore bypassing QoS entirely.

Nope I've disabled the prioritising list. And just used the duma os classified games prior. It is now working after turning it off and on again with all the settings set up

• Administrators

It may have caught something by accident which caused it and disabling it stopped that. Do let us know if you get it again and when you notice it - whats happening on the network at the time etc.