Applications in Categories

Hi,

I have a XR1000 and I have some questions about the criteria about categorizing the packets.

1. I see many games such as "Warframe" are in the "Uncategorized" class, I would like to know if the games in "Uncategorized" will trigger the "Auto-Enable Congestion Control" ?

Can I move Warframe from "Uncategorized" to "Gaming", it is my best favorite game.

2. I did not see any application in the "Enterprise" category. Is this category created for the future use and what kind of applications will be put into this category?

3. I see a "business" category in the Category Breakdown page, is the "business" category equal to "enterprise" ?

4. "Uncategorized" is not equal to "Unknown", these two categories are different, right?

Screenshot 2021-03-29 111913.png

Categories_Business.png

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Murong said:

Hi,

I have a XR1000 and I have some questions about the criteria about categorizing the packets.

1. I see many games such as "Warframe" are in the "Uncategorized" class, I would like to know if the games in "Uncategorized" will trigger the "Auto-Enable Congestion Control" ?

Can I move Warframe from "Uncategorized" to "Gaming", it is my best favorite game.

2. I did not see any application in the "Enterprise" category. Is this category created for the future use and what kind of applications will be put into this category?

3. I see a "business" category in the Category Breakdown page, is the "business" category equal to "enterprise" ?

4. "Uncategorized" is not equal to "Unknown", these two categories are different, right?

To answer your questions:

1. Warframe is in gaming on Bandwidth allocation but we're working to improve DPI to detection on Network Monitor (NM) - NM categories are purely for information purposes rather than function. 
  2. Yes we'll be adding services/applications there that would be used in an Enterprise environment, Oracle could be an example of something we add there.
  3. It will likely be similar but probably focus on things used to Work from home
  4. Correct, uncategorized will be things we can detect but have not yet assigned to a category. Unknown will be things we do not yet detect - we detect the traffic obviously but are not sure what it is. 

Interesting Fraser.. I have a question then on your above answer.. If say when playing a game like Halo5 and Network Monitor is showing it as unknown does that mean also that on the QoS page the game is unknown as well?  Does this have any effect on how the game performs? Being labeled as unknown?  You say you detect the traffic but why would a game like Halo not be at least added to gaming? Does Halo operate differently and make it difficult to add it to gaming?

There are times when I do see Halo5 pop up as Skype in the NM.. strange thing there is when it does show this the game performs quite well.. When it doesnt show it or shows unknown it doesnt perform as well.. strange tbh why theres no consistency there..

Thanks!

Zippy.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:21 PM, CRarsenxL said:

Yea I think they are still working on that 

Out of curiosity what do you get on NM when playing games? Do you show unknown or uncat.? 

Thanks!

Zippy.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Zippy said:

Interesting Fraser.. I have a question then on your above answer.. If say when playing a game like Halo5 and Network Monitor is showing it as unknown does that mean also that on the QoS page the game is unknown as well?  Does this have any effect on how the game performs? Being labeled as unknown?  You say you detect the traffic but why would a game like Halo not be at least added to gaming? Does Halo operate differently and make it difficult to add it to gaming?

There are times when I do see Halo5 pop up as Skype in the NM.. strange thing there is when it does show this the game performs quite well.. When it doesnt show it or shows unknown it doesnt perform as well.. strange tbh why theres no consistency there..

Thanks!

Zippy.

That's what I thought, I'll get some clarification on it and get back to you, I don't want to provide any false info. 

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's been my understanding of it anyway, perhaps there is more to it. I suppose it would depend on whether you're playing on PC or console. I'll get some clarification on it and get back to you, I don't want to provide any false info. 

No worries Fraser please do if you can get better clarification.. It would help understand things better.. There has to be something to this.. I do think your first answer is correct.. I know you use to play Halo5.. What type of traffic do you show in NM when playing Halo5? 

Whats really confusing me is the fact when playing Halo5 it use to show up as Skype.. And when it did the game played what I would call amazing.. But yet NM doesnt always pick it up as Skype.. It usually picks it up as Unknown..

I think ive stumbled on some old youtube videos of you btw.. And one I think you were playing H5! ;) 

Thanks!

Zippy.

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Zippy said:

No worries Fraser please do if you can get better clarification.. It would help understand things better.. There has to be something to this.. I do think your first answer is correct.. I know you use to play Halo5.. What type of traffic do you show in NM when playing Halo5? 

Whats really confusing me is the fact when playing Halo5 it use to show up as Skype.. And when it did the game played what I would call amazing.. But yet NM doesnt always pick it up as Skype.. It usually picks it up as Unknown..

I think ive stumbled on some old youtube videos of you btw.. And one I think you were playing H5! ;) 

Thanks!

Zippy.

That video was literally the last time I played haha so I couldn't say for certain! I was also playing over console as well so would've just said gaming I imagine. Probably some misidentifying of MS traffic there causing the Skype classification, will look into it!