Lets talk about AntiBufferBloat

Wayne

Is CC on all the time?

going to be hard to stress your line due to throughput but try congestion control off and see what happens so you get to see what the results are then play with the sliders. I might be inclined to lower the upload to see what happens but have a play, start at 100% then lower them but try hammering your connection when testing. You may have to be brutal but try for example 13% on upload.

5 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Is CC on all the time?

going to be hard to stress your line due to throughput but try congestion control off and see what happens so you get to see what the results are then play with the sliders. I might be inclined to lower the upload to see what happens but have a play, start at 100% then lower them but try hammering your connection when testing. You may have to be brutal but try for example 13% on upload.

what do you suggest the best way to "hammer the connection" is? I will turn off cc and give it a try

13 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Is CC on all the time?

CC is on Always

However for these test I put it on Never, I ran three CB in DumaOS and 3 DSLReports simultaneously, these are the results:

Untitled.png

Screenshot_2021-03-11 QoS - DumaOS(1).png

Screenshot_2021-03-11 Speed test result.png

Need to watch multiple streams like twitch, download and upload but it’s not going to be easy.

your speed dropped yet CC is off? Interesting, try turning it on and try 60% download and 20% upload and run some tests. See if PingPlotter shows no spikes.

10 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Need to watch multiple streams like twitch, download and upload but it’s not going to be easy.

your speed dropped yet CC is off? Interesting, try turning it on and try 60% download and 20% upload and run some tests. See if PingPlotter shows no spikes.

Two twitch streams open, running CB in DumaOS and DSLReport test at the same time to saturate (plus partners work pc, my cell phone loaded yt video, and whatever shes doing on her phone)

I will give 60/20 an attempt now!

Untitled.png

Screenshot_2021-03-11 QoS - DumaOS(2).png

Screenshot_2021-03-11 Speed test result(2).png

Screenshot_2021-03-11 Connection Benchmark - DumaOS.png

18 minutes ago, Wayne said:

60/20 Always :(

Screenshot_2021-03-11 Speed test result(3).png

Untitled.png

Screenshot_2021-03-11 QoS - DumaOS(3).png

Ok, another dropped state with the red line, strange so now try down at 50% and up at 13% and test again.

if your connection is 700mbps and you set 60% your download should have been around 420mbps yet it shows 646mbps. Could you double check that too with another speed test other than DSLreports. 

Ok thanks, put them back to 70%. There’s something strange going on as CC does not seem to be limiting your connection if the DSLreports speed is accurate. 
 The DSLreport shows it’s fine but PingPlotter is showing higher latency but I don’t understand if CC is set to always why it’s not capping your connection.
could you show a picture or let me know if the very first line of the route is showing packet loss. 

@Netduma Fraser and @Netduma Liam in to see if they can add some info to see why CC is not capping your connection as intended.

18 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Ok thanks, put them back to 70%. There’s something strange going on as CC does not seem to be limiting your connection if the DSLreports speed is accurate. 
 The DSLreport shows it’s fine but PingPlotter is showing higher latency but I don’t understand if CC is set to always why it’s not capping your connection.
could you show a picture or let me know if the very first line of the route is showing packet loss. 

@Netduma Fraser and @Netduma Liam in to see if they can add some info to see why CC is not capping your connection as intended.

I've also noticed when the QoS or CC is on Always and 100/100 or 99/99 I don't get anywhere near my default ISP speeds

Not excactly sure how to tell if the very first line of the route is showing packet loss :(

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

With your speeds I don't actually think QoS will be very needed for you, if you disable QoS fully and re-run the tests do you get packet loss?

I do use the adblocker but I'm sure I can substitute.

I'm still confused why it's not limiting my speeds, is the move here just shutting it off? I was looking to get the best bullet reg possible

In this test on pingplotter I use the DSLreport and CN on DumaOS to saturate

Untitled.png

Screenshot_2021-03-11 Connection Benchmark - DumaOS(1).png

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are ALL devices connected to the router or are some connected to the modem?

Do you use PPPoE, IPv6, DHCP identifiers etc in order to get a connection?

Verizon Fios, ONT > R2, All devices are connected to the R2. The device we are talking about is ethernet.
IPv6 is off for both WAN and LAN.
DHCP is enabled but i'm not using any "identifiers"?

Edit: Uploaded Picture -> I left pingplotter open while sleeping for a few hours (8:00-2:00), nobody was using the network at this time as we were both sleeping. This is also a different domain, I used pingplotter.com instead of twitter.com like the pictures above incase I was having issues connecting to twitter.com

As you can see I'm getting packetloss, and it shows the netduma up top  (45% Packet Loss)
QOS is On - > Never -> 100/100 -> Goodput On

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Screenshot_2021-03-12 QoS - DumaOS.png

• Administrators

Me and @Newfie have been discussing your issue and Newfie found that there is a potential issue with Verizon and that could be getting you the results you're seeing. On PingPlotter could you click Edit -> Options -> Engine -> and change the Packet Type to UDP and then re-run the tests and provide us with the results please?

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Me and @Newfie have been discussing your issue and Newfie found that there is a potential issue with Verizon and that could be getting you the results you're seeing. On PingPlotter could you click Edit -> Options -> Engine -> and change the Packet Type to UDP and then re-run the tests and provide us with the results please?

I've been talking to @Newfieas well and we already changed the packet type to UDP because of the whole verizon fios thing.

unknown.png

I just wanted to say thank you both for your help, I appreciate it more than both of you know! @Newfie@Netduma Fraser

After getting everything sorted out, what exactly is considered a perfect buffer bloat? I'm assuming no latency, low numbers and a small red i?

After doing a ton of tests on DSLReports I have found that QoS 25/10 gives me no yellow in the DSLReports test

Screenshot_2021-03-12 Speed test result(4).png

• Administrators

You're very welcome! That's very good actually, both are very close to your idle ping which is what you want in an ideal world! I would set Congestion Control to Auto Enable as when you're not gaming you won't want to be throttled that much I imagine!

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You're very welcome! That's very good actually, both are very close to your idle ping which is what you want in an ideal world! I would set Congestion Control to Auto Enable as when you're not gaming you won't want to be throttled that much I imagine!

that was my next question! beautiful! thank you so much for everything, you guys are the best and I couldn't be happier with my choice to buy a netduma r2, and the support/community is nothing short of amazing