Lets talk about AntiBufferBloat

Wayne

I’ve always found DSLreports only useful as a rough guide, I tend to use PingPlotter and as long as there’s no spikes when hammering your connection it’s good to go. 
over here PingPlotter was used to identify an issue with my ISP which is BT where no matter what setting you used i.e. congestion control there was spikes appearing when people were streaming twitch or Netflix. This also included all subsidiaries of BT and they are slowly rolling out a fix. DSLreports missed all that with its tests which is why I tend to use PingPlotter. 

6 minutes ago, Newfie said:

I’ve always found DSLreports only useful as a rough guide, I tend to use PingPlotter and as long as there’s no spikes when hammering your connection it’s good to go. 
over here PingPlotter was used to identify an issue with my ISP which is BT where no matter what setting you used i.e. congestion control there was spikes appearing when people were streaming twitch or Netflix. This also included all subsidiaries of BT and they are slowly rolling out a fix. DSLreports missed all that with its tests which is why I tend to use PingPlotter. 

so you run a speed test with qos on always and until it doesnt spike on the ping plotter graph?

21 minutes ago, VVarrior said:

so you run a speed test with qos on always and until it doesnt spike on the ping plotter graph?

Yes so I have a rather modest connection which is very easy to saturate and as long as I don’t see spikes it’s fine, I get the odd spike when streaming Netflix due to my isp but nothing to be concerned about as it’s a low spike.

Heres a test where I’m testing out the WiFi connection on my iPad. I used DSLreports as it saturates my connection. I’m using the PingPlotter app and in the background and I’m using PingPlotter wired connection to my Mac in the background which can’t be seen, this is not Netduma router I’m using but gives an idea of what’s going on.

You will see what happens when I turn off the QoS on the second test on in this video.

Here’s a photo showing a wired connection test with PingPlotter showing the slight rise when my line was saturated. 
The R2 I have achieves the same using the congestion control sliders so different routers and QoS but I get similar results. 
I prefer PingPlotter rather than DSLreports due to the fact I can run PingPlotter in the background so it’s a live view rather than a snapshot at time of testing and I found DSLreports was a tad off at times.

AE3A81CE-2840-4156-B306-9CE04764FBF2.jpeg

The ISP in Italy is basically monopolist because outside the public network that in the best case will reach me in late 2022, it's the only one that has the infrastructure, which means that they don't have incentive to invest, because the customer can't stay without internet anyways.

6 hours ago, Newfie said:

Yes so I have a rather modest connection which is very easy to saturate and as long as I don’t see spikes it’s fine, I get the odd spike when streaming Netflix due to my isp but nothing to be concerned about as it’s a low spike.

Heres a test where I’m testing out the WiFi connection on my iPad. I used DSLreports as it saturates my connection. I’m using the PingPlotter app and in the background and I’m using PingPlotter wired connection to my Mac in the background which can’t be seen, this is not Netduma router I’m using but gives an idea of what’s going on.

You will see what happens when I turn off the QoS on the second test on in this video.

Here’s a photo showing a wired connection test with PingPlotter showing the slight rise when my line was saturated. 
The R2 I have achieves the same using the congestion control sliders so different routers and QoS but I get similar results. 
I prefer PingPlotter rather than DSLreports due to the fact I can run PingPlotter in the background so it’s a live view rather than a snapshot at time of testing and I found DSLreports was a tad off at times.

AE3A81CE-2840-4156-B306-9CE04764FBF2.jpeg

Opinions? I'm a little confused what to look for in pingplotter but you can see where the I run DSLReport (first little hump) than while the test is runnig you can see it increases, than after the test was complete and a minute went by it got extremly low?

Screenshot_2021-03-11 Speed test result.png

Untitled.png

4 hours ago, OverTheReminds said:

Do you want to trade with me?

lol.png

EDIT:

This is with anti bufflerbloat active:

antibufferbloat.png

Is that a test over WiFi? Ouch I feel for you, is that your max upload?

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

Is that a test over WiFi? Ouch I feel for you, is that your max upload?

Yes it is on Wi-fi but this isn't much different from a test with ethernet cable, I had max signal when I did it. My max nominal upload is 0.83, but I never actually get anything above 0.7, nor I remember the last time I've seen 0.7 in a speedtest.

stats.png

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, ONEovFOUR said:

Just out of curiosity how much bandwidth is  actually needed say on console?

I would like to give just enough NOT to much?

Very little - 0.5Mbps would be enough in most cases, if you're hosting which isn't likely then maybe a little over 1Mbps.

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Very little - 0.5Mbps would be enough in most cases, if you're hosting which isn't likely then maybe a little over 1Mbps.

I thought it would be small not that little though 🤔 i put mine at 3down 1.5 up time to reduce it.

Im sure the more i have the worse the matches seem to be.

12 minutes ago, Newfie said:

I think when I’m looking at my dash and I’m chilling away on call of the wild and a voice chat going it’s kbps and uses very little. 

call  of the wild?

What would be concidered perfect bufferbloat? 15ms all the way across idle/download/upload on dslreport?

This is 6 hours of leaving pingplotter open, ran a few test and was playing warzone the whole time. Opinions?

Untitled.png

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

What would be concidered perfect bufferbloat? 15ms all the way across idle/download/upload on dslreport?

This is 6 hours of leaving pingplotter open, ran a few test and was playing warzone the whole time. Opinions?

Untitled.png

What’s the packet loss on the right? 
what other stuff was happening on the Network? 
my eye sight is not that young but what’s the base ping and the highest spike, I can’t quite see the numbers on the left.

6 minutes ago, Newfie said:

What’s the packet loss on the right? 
what other stuff was happening on the Network? 
my eye sight is not that young but what’s the base ping and the highest spike, I can’t quite see the numbers on the left.

I don't see the ping going above 60, I'm not seeing any packetloss but I don't quite understand any of this, maybe a full screenshot will help as I don't think my IP address is in it?

Stuff going on in the network durn pingplotter test:
My PC: Gaming (Warzone), discord and a few speed tests
Work PC: Partner works from home medical work/heath care, non-stop phonecalls
Partners Cell Phone: youtube/facebook
My cellphone: browsing the internet

Untitled.png

Is this a wired test from a pc to the router?

you see the red lines on the right, that’s packet loss.

Might be able to improve on that a little, what’s your isp speed package and what percentage on the CC for up and down do you have it sat at?

The pathways are not showing at the top, I can see you are pinging Twitter but there should be some more routes showing.

7 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Is this a wired test from a pc to the router?

you see the red lines on the right, that’s packet loss.

Might be able to improve on that a little, what’s your isp speed package and what percentage on the CC for up and down do you have it sat at?

The pathways are not showing at the top, I can see you are pinging Twitter but there should be some more routes showing.

This is wired, I have verizon fios gigabyte plan (940mbs download/880mbs upload)
QOS is 70/70

Here are some screenshots, I apprecaite your help!
(parthways show when i click twitter.com up top and not all targets)

Screenshot_2021-03-11 QoS - DumaOS.png

Screenshot_2021-03-11 Device Manager - DumaOS.png

Screenshot_2021-03-11 Network Settings - DumaOS.png