Surfshark hybrid vpn

Hello just a quick one trying to get surfshark to run on hybrid vpn. I go to hybrid vpn click enable then click vpn setup. I then go to advance and enter my username and password . In the configuration I copy and past the server I want to use and click connect but at the bottom it says failed all the time. Any help?

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you paste the configuration file that you're using here please? Then I can take a look.

What is the config file?. I can show you the screen after I enter the details?. I'm guessing I don't show you my username and password screen. I've just logged of for the evening but all I get after entering the username password and server is failed down the bottom and the username it doesn't pick up the location or anything will screenshot tomorrow and show you.

Edit:

Sorry been a long day lol 

ca-tor.prod.surfshark.com

that's what I have pasted into the configuration file not sure if thats where it goes

• Administrators

No worries! So the config (configuation file) should be end in .ovpn, .crt, .ca something like that. You then open that file in a text editor like Notepad and then copy the contents and paste into the advanced section on Hybrid VPN. Looks like you may not have done that, so do that first and then if it doesn't work paste the contents here.

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No worries! So the config (configuation file) should be end in .ovpn, .crt, .ca something like that. You then open that file in a text editor like Notepad and then copy the contents and paste into the advanced section on Hybrid VPN. Looks like you may not have done that, so do that first and then if it doesn't work paste the contents here.

Thats perfect cheers fraser. It didn't end like you said was a very very long text I just copied the whole thing and it worked 🙏👍

I'm also using Surfshark and when I go to download their config file I have the option of choosing either tcp or udp, not both. Which one would i chose for my PS4? Atm using TCP and it does seem to effect ping gaming, I would have thought I'd have to use the UDP config file?

Also after dding my console to hybrid vpn, on the right it is selected as do not vpn these services.. but it's working?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, johnnytran said:

I'm also using Surfshark and when I go to download their config file I have the option of choosing either tcp or udp, not both. Which one would i chose for my PS4? Atm using TCP and it does seem to effect ping gaming, I would have thought I'd have to use the UDP config file?

Also after dding my console to hybrid vpn, on the right it is selected as do not vpn these services.. but it's working?

It doesn't really matter as it's just the protocol to connect to the VPN tunnel. UDP may be beneficial though as it will keep resending packets if needed. Yes it should be greyed out completely, that is the correct way for it to be added to be applied to the VPN.

• 4 months later...

I have tried everything to get my Surfshark subscription to work on this xr500 but nothing is working. At one time I could get a 'connected' prompt/status on the Hybrid VPN tab, but it was never truly connected correctly...I could still see my local ip address! After spending 2 hours in a 'chat' with support at Surfshark, factory resetting, Googling, and searching the DumaOS forums, till I'm blue in the face, Im about to give up and just make a change. Surfshark is now even telling me that the xr500 DumaOS isn't compatible with them?.? So my last ditch effort is hoping I can find help here. I guess my first question is, Is this VPN compatible with the xr500 or not? My firmware is the 3.2.114. My steps are as follows:

Under the advanced tab on the Hybrid VPN page,

1-copying the user name and password from my subscription page on Surfshark

2-copying and pasting the entire UDP ovpn file -server location file- (all text within Notepad) and pasting in the 'configuration' area. Hitting connect only to find it now failing, evey time.

I'm not sure by resetting the router I've inadvertently changed something or what. I'll be traveling out of town tomorrow but will be back on Thursday afternoon. Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated.

6 hours ago, DrV00D00 said:

I have tried everything to get my Surfshark subscription to work on this xr500 but nothing is working. At one time I could get a 'connected' prompt/status on the Hybrid VPN tab, but it was never truly connected correctly...I could still see my local ip address! After spending 2 hours in a 'chat' with support at Surfshark, factory resetting, Googling, and searching the DumaOS forums, till I'm blue in the face, Im about to give up and just make a change. Surfshark is now even telling me that the xr500 DumaOS isn't compatible with them?.? So my last ditch effort is hoping I can find help here. I guess my first question is, Is this VPN compatible with the xr500 or not? My firmware is the 3.2.114. My steps are as follows:

Under the advanced tab on the Hybrid VPN page,

1-copying the user name and password from my subscription page on Surfshark

2-copying and pasting the entire UDP ovpn file -server location file- (all text within Notepad) and pasting in the 'configuration' area. Hitting connect only to find it now failing, evey time.

I'm not sure by resetting the router I've inadvertently changed something or what. I'll be traveling out of town tomorrow but will be back on Thursday afternoon. Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated.

Where did you get the OpenVPN config file from? Directly from SurfShark? Can you provide us with that so we can take a look?

Did you use the username and password on the credentials tab, as if you use your surfshark username and password it doesn't work. You can also reset/generate new credentials on the surfshark manual VPN setup page if you're having issues. 

36 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Where did you get the OpenVPN config file from? Directly from SurfShark? Can you provide us with that so we can take a look?

Thanks for the reply. here is where I'm getting the file from....by selecting the 'fastest server' or any other server I choose, typically opens another dialogue screen(see pic below) allowing me to get the TCP or UDP files(I'm assuming these are ovpn files, but cant confirm). I then select the UDP file, which opens another box in 'Notepad' . I then select all of the text within that Notepad screen and paste within the configuration area, under Advanced Settings within the Hybrid VPN tab on my xr500 router. Of course I'm also copying and pasting my credentials(use name/password) too.

With all of that said, there is also another place on the surfshark site, directly below where I typically select my server, to get 'OpenVPN' ovpn files(see pic below). I can confirm those files are .ovpn. I have tried those files as well...following the same steps as I describe above, with a bit more success.

I have found (after initially posting, last night) that when selecting to generate 'new credentials,' if I allow time (a few minutes) I can then connect using the newly generated uname and password and ovpn file. However, even when I get the 'connected' (when it says connected in the Hybrid VPN tab on xr500 - pic below), I also found that when using ipleak, I still see my location(ip). Further, under VPN traffic 'add device' I dont have the option of adding my laptop...not sure if that is because I'm actually using it make the changes on my router?.? Thanks again!

image.png.502cb835d76e4ff33a326f94d2da2f43.png

image.thumb.png.16c705f7ebf0c847a4f298a449fa0674.png

image.thumb.png.3ac3b315ddd6027453306e26c9b3b638.png

image.thumb.png.98b5bd5d1df342d97b9e3918a5bd9906.png

image.png

image.png

7 minutes ago, Exe_uz said:

Did you use the username and password on the credentials tab, as if you use your surfshark username and password it doesn't work. You can also reset/generate new credentials on the surfshark manual VPN setup page if you're having issues. 

Hi! Thanks for the response. Yes, I did. Ive found that you need to give it some time after generating the new credentials before entering the new information onto the router too. 

1 hour ago, DrV00D00 said:

Thanks for the reply. here is where I'm getting the file from....by selecting the 'fastest server' or any other server I choose, typically opens another dialogue screen(see pic below) allowing me to get the TCP or UDP files(I'm assuming these are ovpn files, but cant confirm). I then select the UDP file, which opens another box in 'Notepad' . I then select all of the text within that Notepad screen and paste within the configuration area, under Advanced Settings within the Hybrid VPN tab on my xr500 router. Of course I'm also copying and pasting my credentials(use name/password) too.

With all of that said, there is also another place on the surfshark site, directly below where I typically select my server, to get 'OpenVPN' ovpn files(see pic below). I can confirm those files are .ovpn. I have tried those files as well...following the same steps as I describe above, with a bit more success.

I have found (after initially posting, last night) that when selecting to generate 'new credentials,' if I allow time (a few minutes) I can then connect using the newly generated uname and password and ovpn file. However, even when I get the 'connected' (when it says connected in the Hybrid VPN tab on xr500 - pic below), I also found that when using ipleak, I still see my location(ip). Further, under VPN traffic 'add device' I dont have the option of adding my laptop...not sure if that is because I'm actually using it make the changes on my router?.? Thanks again!

Could you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing through ipleak?

Also, is your Laptop's Device Type set to "Console" in Device Manager? That may explain why you can't add any services for it.

On 8/4/2021 at 7:58 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Could you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing through ipleak?

Also, is your Laptop's Device Type set to "Console" in Device Manager? That may explain why you can't add any services for it.

Sorry for the delayed response. Here is the ipleak screenshot. It appears that it is connected because beforehand I would see my actual location. What I've discovered in this process is that, at least with Surfshark,  you have to give the credentials and configuration .ovpn file a few minutes to synch, then connect and Enable the connection on the Hybrid VPN page of the xr500, then it seems to work ok. 

image.png.e3262349d752c594c90fa02830fd6247.png

As for my laptop's device type...that was a very good catch! it was in fact labeled as a 'console.' I change it and am now able to toggle between 'Do Not VPN these services' and 'Only VPN these services.' What I did notice... and hopefully you can educate me on this, but when I select to ADD SERVICE on the Hybrid VPN page of my router and ADD my laptop (which is now properly labeled as a laptop) and choose the 'Do Not VPN these services' my laptop appears to be 'connected to the VPN..meaning when I use ipleak my laptop does not give away my location/ip address(see pic above)..and for what its worth I am connected to a USA server. Is that normal? If so, I'm wondering if I opt to change my xbox series x in the device manager to, lets say a 'laptop,' and then select 'Do Not VPN these services' will my console then truly be connected to the VPN as well?

Thanks in advance, Liam!

8 hours ago, DrV00D00 said:

Sorry for the delayed response. Here is the ipleak screenshot. It appears that it is connected because beforehand I would see my actual location. What I've discovered in this process is that, at least with Surfshark,  you have to give the credentials and configuration .ovpn file a few minutes to synch, then connect and Enable the connection on the Hybrid VPN page of the xr500, then it seems to work ok. 

image.png.e3262349d752c594c90fa02830fd6247.png

As for my laptop's device type...that was a very good catch! it was in fact labeled as a 'console.' I change it and am now able to toggle between 'Do Not VPN these services' and 'Only VPN these services.' What I did notice... and hopefully you can educate me on this, but when I select to ADD SERVICE on the Hybrid VPN page of my router and ADD my laptop (which is now properly labeled as a laptop) and choose the 'Do Not VPN these services' my laptop appears to be 'connected to the VPN..meaning when I use ipleak my laptop does not give away my location/ip address(see pic above)..and for what its worth I am connected to a USA server. Is that normal? If so, I'm wondering if I opt to change my xbox series x in the device manager to, lets say a 'laptop,' and then select 'Do Not VPN these services' will my console then truly be connected to the VPN as well?

Thanks in advance, Liam!

So is the laptop going through the VPN or does it appear to be showing your actual IP and location? If so, you may be experiencing a DNS leak.

The console should be much easier, just add it to Hybrid VPN and all traffic from it will be VPN'd. The reason this is grey'd out in Hybrid VPN is because there isn't a way to split the services from a console, you just have to VPN everything.

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

So is the laptop going through the VPN or does it appear to be showing your actual IP and location? If so, you may be experiencing a DNS leak.

The console should be much easier, just add it to Hybrid VPN and all traffic from it will be VPN'd. The reason this is grey'd out in Hybrid VPN is because there isn't a way to split the services from a console, you just have to VPN everything.

yes... it appears that the laptop(as well as other devices in my network) is now going through he VPN.

I confirmed by removing the device(my laptop) from the ADD SERVICES, waited a few minutes then ran another ipleak test, and my laptop's IP address DID appear. So I think I've got it working now. I appreciate your help, Liam. 

3 minutes ago, DrV00D00 said:

yes... it appears that the laptop(as well as other devices in my network) is now going through he VPN.

I confirmed by removing the device(my laptop) from the ADD SERVICES, waited a few minutes then ran another ipleak test, and my laptop's IP address DID appear. So I think I've got it working now. I appreciate your help, Liam. 

Awesome, great work.

Let us know if you need anything else!