Leaving XR500 for R2 anyone else?

ViperGod

So I am sick of NetGear treatment of owners of XR500 series. Lack of firmware updates and when there is there are problems with it. Always a device missing error after firmware update and I have to reinstall the old firmware. Bye Bye NetGear!!!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That device error is because you need to do a factory reset after an update to clear out old low level code from the previous version. There have been several builds of the 3.0 beta, I'd recommend trying this one and doing a factory reset. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mwe5sx81gsc129/XR500-V2.3.2.114-DumaOS3.0.203.img?dl=0

2 hours ago, ViperGod said:

So I am sick of NetGear treatment of owners of XR500 series. Lack of firmware updates and when there is there are problems with it. Always a device missing error after firmware update and I have to reinstall the old firmware. Bye Bye NetGear!!!

I hear you and thats the unfortunate case with big corps .. I have both and my XR500 runs the latest Beta as Fraser recommends  above . I have had no real issues with the Beta so I am happy with that . The wireless on the R2 is not great at the moment that is why I switched back to the XR500 which has great wireless ( pressure from the family to switch ) Other than wireless the R2 is a great for DUMA OS3 and of course will have any changes quicker than the CORP dudes at Netgear . In closing when the wireless is improved I will switch back to the R2

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That device error is because you need to do a factory reset after an update to clear out old low level code from the previous version. There have been several builds of the 3.0 beta, I'd recommend trying this one and doing a factory reset. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mwe5sx81gsc129/XR500-V2.3.2.114-DumaOS3.0.203.img?dl=0

My XR500 comes tomorrow, is this the latest update I should get? Do I need to download this and upload the file in the firmware section? Never had a router outside my ISP's, so I have never had to update it. But I was looking to get the latest update so I can test the GEO filter and whatever else it has to offer.

Thanks

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, SMTPS said:

My XR500 comes tomorrow, is this the latest update I should get? Do I need to download this and upload the file in the firmware section? Never had a router outside my ISP's, so I have never had to update it. But I was looking to get the latest update so I can test the GEO filter and whatever else it has to offer.

Thanks

This is the very latest beta firmware which based on reports seems quite stable. Yes you would download it and then upload it to the firmware update section on the router interface.

Thank Guys. I have had my XR500 since Feb 2018(preordered it from BestBuy in Dec 2017 or maybe Jan 2018). Believe it or not, I have done the factory reset many time after the update.

It seem like my XR500 only like firmware versions V2.3.2.56 and V2.3.2.32. I was one of the few that did not have an issue with v2.3.3.32. 

I do need to say, had no problems for a week after upgrading to v2.3.2.114, on week 2 I lost geo filter and QoS. yes I did many reset. Right now Im running .56 again(no problems still). 

I will give Beta 3.0 a try. I already order my R2 and if Beta 3.0 works out for me, well lucky for me I have Arris SB8200 modem to connect them to.

I will keep you guys posted on how that works out. 

3 minutes ago, ViperGod said:

Thank Guys. I have had my XR500 since Feb 2018(preordered it from BestBuy in Dec 2017 or maybe Jan 2018). Believe it or not, I have done the factory reset many time after the update.

It seem like my XR500 only like firmware versions V2.3.2.56 and V2.3.2.32. I was one of the few that did not have an issue with v2.3.3.32. 

I do need to say, had no problems for a week after upgrading to v2.3.2.114, on week 2 I lost geo filter and QoS. yes I did many reset. Right now Im running .56 again(no problems still). 

I will give Beta 3.0 a try. I already order my R2 and if Beta 3.0 works out for me, well lucky for me I have Arris SB8200 modem to connect them to.

I will keep you guys posted on how that works out. 

That's interesting, good work on getting around these issues though. Did you upgrade to the pre-beta .114 or was it the beta version from the Netgear forums?

Thanks for pre-ordering an R2 too!

Ps, forgot something.\

yes I do a factory reset before any firmware update(so I can have a clean router) and after the update is finished(to making sure it clean before adding my devices).

Wifi not a big deal to me, all my PCs and Game consoles are wired. Only my phone and TV are using WiFi.

again, Thank you Guys

Upgraded XR500 via upgrade button in control panel when I was logged into my router. In fact it was the first time I did not copy the image for back before the upgrade. 

On 2/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, ViperGod said:

Upgraded XR500 via upgrade button in control panel when I was logged into my router. In fact it was the first time I did not copy the image for back before the upgrade. 

If I’ve read that right are you using saved profile configs when setting up the router after an update to firmware and after resetting. If so a saved profile that does not match the firmware it was saved on can create issues as it includes code from the firmware it was saved from.

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

If I’ve read that right are you using saved profile configs when setting up the router after an update to firmware and after resetting. If so a saved profile that does not match the firmware it was saved on can create issues as it includes code from the firmware it was saved from.

Nope, I do full factory reset before and after firmware update. The only time use a save file, is to restore a former setting. After a firmware update, I like to start fresh with setting. I've been using my XR500 for almost 3 years now. 

So I have been playing with Beta 3.0 for the last 3 days.   Did every like I like before. So, Not a single problem!! Loving it!!! It look like I will be connecting both XR500 and R2(when it get here) on my Arris SB8200. Image 2 DumaOS routers running off the same Cable Modem. Now before some of you humans say "you cant run two routers on the same modem without a  network switch or setting one of the routers and as a relay." Please look up Arris SB8200 specs. BTW I am currently running my NightHawk R7000(since 2014 Jan.) and XR500 on my SB8200. NightHawk R7000 has 1 Network switch(10 ports).

Thank you to everyone for your replies. A big THANK YOU to Fraser with the link to Beta 3.0!!