Traffic prio debate

CRarsenxL

Traffic prio is essentially extra packet processing time.

Traffic prio adds packet processing time vs no traffic prio .

say a user has a gig connection.

should that user use traffic prio? Since that user has gig aka the highway can handle more, 

the only thing really beneficial to that user would be buffer bloat right?

• Administrators

The extra time it takes would be minimal and far lower than allowing the packets to be sent out on their own according to the network queue. You will still have a network queue on gigabit but it will be cleared faster. If anything bufferbloat is the one that is least likely to affect someone using gigabit.

With the xr right now, I’m having better success with no traffic prio and super low buffer 150/100  (throttled my gig that low)any reason why it feels better? These r the best results I get in CB which is why I did so

Traffic prio isn’t catching stuff on ps5. A lot of users are reporting issues. I don’t know if it’s Cold War or the ps5 or both. But throttling my bandwidth to super low ( good CB results) ,

and no prio makes it balanced. any reason why traffic prio feels worse? 

• Administrators

Without using Prioritization your gaming packets are in the network queue so they will have some delay on them, thats why it may be LC but if that's what works for you that is great. CB is pretty accurate on the R2, the other platforms need a bit more fine tuning. It uses the Google server but because it does it from the router level it bypasses the connection between your device to router and router to internet so it is more accurate.

39 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Without using Prioritization your gaming packets are in the network queue so they will have some delay on them, thats why it may be LC but if that's what works for you that is great. CB is pretty accurate on the R2, the other platforms need a bit more fine tuning. It uses the Google server but because it does it from the router level it bypasses the connection between your device to router and router to internet so it is more accurate.

Hi fraser.

You said Traffic prioritization makes your connection say my XBOX in TP under games console will not obey to bandwidth and CC so my thinking is i hope im wrong but by putting  my console in TP i will end up with me network default speeds and ping?

And without CC my ping is awful is this the way it works.

Or with CC and TP i end up with be truly best set up?

Sorry to be a pain.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, SETi-D said:

Hi fraser.

You said Traffic prioritization makes your connection say my XBOX in TP under games console will not obey to bandwidth and CC so my thinking is i hope im wrong but by putting  my console in TP i will end up with me network default speeds and ping?

And without CC my ping is awful is this the way it works.

Or with CC and TP i end up with be truly best set up?

Sorry to be a pain.

Unless you've added it with manual ports it should not cover the ports required for a speed test so it would just be your game packets being prioritized. It sounds like you have local congestion which CC is definitely couter acting to get you a good ping. I would definitely advise using CC & TP together but it's all about finding what works best for you.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Unless you've added it with manual ports it should not cover the ports required for a speed test so it would just be your game packets being prioritized. It sounds like you have local congestion which CC is definitely couter acting to get you a good ping. I would definitely advise using CC & TP together but it's all about finding what works best for you.

I'm miss understand sorry.

I'm not a very clever person but am trying to learn.

Will do as you advise many thanks.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is there any secondary source I could that can fact check CB?

Also, games console doesn’t capture properly for the Ps5. It’s a known issue. What ports do you recommEnd in the mean time. I doubt that will fix it but worth a try I guess

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, SETi-D said:

I'm miss understand sorry.

I'm not a very clever person but am trying to learn.

Will do as you advise many thanks.

No worries, basically TP should not give your console full speeds if you're using DumaOS Classified Games or the Games Console service - it should just prioritize gaming.

33 minutes ago, CRarsenxL said:

Is there any secondary source I could that can fact check CB?

Also, games console doesn’t capture properly for the Ps5. It’s a known issue. What ports do you recommEnd in the mean time. I doubt that will fix it but worth a try I guess

Previously we advised following this guide while downloading/streaming on a device while experimenting with the CC percentages and using the Always option to see what lowers the ping/keeps it as stable as possible http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping so you could compare those results.