Buying Advice Needed - XR1000 for Multiple Xbox One X's

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, I've been looking at these threads for awhile now and I was hoping to get some advice on buying a Nighthawk XR1000. I current have a Nighthawk R8000 but I've been having constant issues with two xbox's in the same household (both wired using ethernet). Downstairs I've set up a Netgear Orbi in AP Mode with 2 satellites as the wifi down there was pretty bad (live in an old house with thick stone walls which 5Ghz seems to not do well with).

After a lot of configuring (setting up static IP's, trying port forwarding with 2 consoles, using UPnP, setting NAT to Open, configuring IPv6, (disabling/ enabling different settings like SIP ALG, QoS), etc, I could never really get good performance.

The best settings I managed to find was to DMZ one xbox, with UPnP enabled, no port forwarding set up for the second xbox. Leaving IPv6 settings to AutoConfig rather than manually configuring. With this, the ping is ok with some games but still issues with joining similar lobbies and the major issue being xbox live party chat disconnects.

I feel like I've come to the end of the road with trying to configure this router and I'm looking to completely overhaul the network. Before I pull the trigger on the XR1000, I just wanted to ask if anyone has experience with multiple Xbox One X's/ Series X's on the same network? Does UPnP handle these ok? Any disconnect, matchmaking, or party chat issues? I've been looking through the forums for awhile but it seems like most issues get given solutions and then the threads stop so I never get to see if they've worked, very few people give updates on performance after suggestions as well once a fix has been given. Also, firmware updates seem quick to solve some issues so it's hard to get a gauge on how things currently are with performance.

I know different people have different issues, and there's a lot of varying factors from household to household, however, any general advise or feedback on known issues would be hugely appreciated.

Current Setup:
ISP Speeds: 79mb Down/ 20mb Up 
Modem: BT Openreach Modem
Router: Netgear Nighthawk R8000
Access Point: Netgear Orbi + 2 Satellites.

Upgrade to: 
ISP Speeds: up to 300mbps Down (200 - 240mpbs expected Download/ up to 48mbps Upload)
Modem: Draytek Vigor 166 (Router/ Modem) set to Bridge Mode (Has to be a Gfast compatible modem so only a few options to choose from)
Router: Netgear Nighthawk XR1000
Access Point will stay the same.

In addition to above, it seems like the ideal setup for multiple consoles on the same router is just to allow UPnP deal with it, which Asus routers seem to do fine but I see issues with previous Netgear routers. Does anyone know how UPnP performs for consoles or specifically 2 xbox's? 

How much CPU does the DumaOS on it's own consume on the Nighthawks? DumaOS looks potentially resource intensive from the amount of graphs and data it appears to display. I feel like my current R8000 Nighthawk is being taxed a bit which could explain some impacts on ping at various stages. We have a nest cam always uploading in HD, the Orbi system is usually handling 4k streaming, video calls, multiple phone's, etc. Then tv's, gaming consoles, smart devices, etc., are connected to the Nighthawk. Unfortunately, I can't see how much CPU or Memory is being utilised by it to be sure.

Some games currently perform ok, but there always seems to be some lag present, this is especially noticeable on eSports titles like Rocket League or Call of Duty where every ms counts. Playing either xbox on their own seems to be fine though. 

Thanks for posting and for considering DumaOS!

So we've seen a few people report some issues with multiple consoles on the network, but like you said these seem to have been resolved every time, the support requests almost always pertain to NAT type though.

It's tricky to say how common of an issue this is because of course those that don't experience it don't report it on here! There's a few consoles in my house and I've never had any issues, but of course your mileage may vary.

For the most part, UPnP is very good, but if there are any issues there are other steps you can take such as putting the XR in the upstream modem's DMZ as well as port forwarding where necessary!

If your issue is primarily lag when playing fast paced competitive games, it sounds like you'd really benefit from the QoS feature in DumaOS. You can use this to ensure that the traffic from your console is prioritised over background traffic that doesn't necessarily need to be handled on a constant priority.

• Administrators

Just to add to this, we do have a firmware version we can provide that will allow multiple devices to receive an Open NAT on the XR1000 using a specific option so if you do end up getting it let us know and we can give you access to that.

On 2/15/2021 at 10:08 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Just to add to this, we do have a firmware version we can provide that will allow multiple devices to receive an Open NAT on the XR1000 using a specific option so if you do end up getting it let us know and we can give you access to that.

Is this available to everybody? I'd like access to this firmware version if possible. I've been experiencing the same issues as many people on the forum regarding Open NAT across multiple devices at the same time.

Thank you for your time! 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Flux said:

Is this available to everybody? I'd like access to this firmware version if possible. I've been experiencing the same issues as many people on the forum regarding Open NAT across multiple devices at the same time.

Thank you for your time! 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I have sent you a PM with the firmware.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:08 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Could I have access to this please. Thanks 

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I do my best! Let us know here if it works please :)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working for me. I booted up my PC today and had no access to any Call of Duty Online Services, so I restarted the modem/router which allowed me to connect, but now I'm stuck on Moderate again. My roommate does have an xbox which he booted up first, so his NAT type is Open whereas mine is Moderate.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Flux said:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working for me. I booted up my PC today and had no access to any Call of Duty Online Services, so I restarted the modem/router which allowed me to connect, but now I'm stuck on Moderate again. My roommate does have an xbox which he booted up first, so his NAT type is Open whereas mine is Moderate.

What is the exact model/modem that you're using? It's possible the WAN IP of the XR has changed and you'll need to input that into the modem DMZ again. If that's the case on the modem give the XR a static/reserved so you don't experience it again.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the exact model/modem that you're using? It's possible the WAN IP of the XR has changed and you'll need to input that into the modem DMZ again. If that's the case on the modem give the XR a static/reserved so you don't experience it again.

Surfboard Arris SB8200

I don't have DMZ enabled and I don't think my modem allows me to make any changes but I will take a look shortly.

I did notice that both gaming PC's I typically connect are not showing up under the Device Manager as online. They appear under Offline, even though they're both being used currently.

• Administrators

It's a pure modem but can you disable energy efficient ethernet on the modem interface please? Have you connected them to the router via wifi and ethernet at some point? You may need to double check the IP on the PC matches the device you think it is on the Device Manager.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for posting and for considering DumaOS!

So we've seen a few people report some issues with multiple consoles on the network, but like you said these seem to have been resolved every time, the support requests almost always pertain to NAT type though.

It's tricky to say how common of an issue this is because of course those that don't experience it don't report it on here! There's a few consoles in my house and I've never had any issues, but of course your mileage may vary.

For the most part, UPnP is very good, but if there are any issues there are other steps you can take such as putting the XR in the upstream modem's DMZ as well as port forwarding where necessary!

If your issue is primarily lag when playing fast paced competitive games, it sounds like you'd really benefit from the QoS feature in DumaOS. You can use this to ensure that the traffic from your console is prioritised over background traffic that doesn't necessarily need to be handled on a constant priority.

Thanks very much for the response, it’s much appreciated! The XR1000 arrived yesterday, I’ll be setting it up this weekend.

I’ll try UPnP to begin with, then try port forwarding, and a last resort will be DMZ. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding but are you suggesting to add the XR1000 on to my modems DMZ? Sounds quite risky security wise, I don’t mind adding one Xbox onto the DMZ but a whole router makes me nervous - please correct me if I’ve misunderstood though!

The main issue is two Xbox’s conflicting with ports. Currently having issues with Xbox party chat with Teredo issues, and COD disconnects when we’re in the same party. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the router helping though and post back with how it goes. Thanks again!

On 2/15/2021 at 3:08 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Ah amazing! I’ll be spending this weekend trying to configure the router and test the connection with multiple Xbox’s playing on the same servers. If I can’t get anywhere with it, I’ll definitely ping another message here to request access. Thanks for the response!

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, TheJam said:

Ah amazing! I’ll be spending this weekend trying to configure the router and test the connection with multiple Xbox’s playing on the same servers. If I can’t get anywhere with it, I’ll definitely ping another message here to request access. Thanks for the response!

Yes putting the XR in the DMZ of your modem is what Liam was referring to. I understand your concern about doing so but it is perfectly safe as the XR has its own in built firewall. Great, let us know! It is a trial firmware so may not be as polished.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes putting the XR in the DMZ of your modem is what Liam was referring to. I understand your concern about doing so but it is perfectly safe as the XR has its own in built firewall. Great, let us know! It is a trial firmware so may not be as polished.

Ah, that’s good to know, thanks for letting me know! Does running trial firmware effect Netgear warranty? Just say in the extremely unlikely event that the firmware causes the router to brick or any other issues?

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, TheJam said:

Ah, that’s good to know, thanks for letting me know! Does running trial firmware effect Netgear warranty? Just say in the extremely unlikely event that the firmware causes the router to brick or any other issues?

I wouldn't have thought so no given I was provided with it for people with this precise issue. You would need to double check that with NG though. Using the TFTP method to install the firmware on in the case of a potential brick usually resolves it.

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I wouldn't have thought so no given I was provided with it for people with this precise issue. You would need to double check that with NG though. Using the TFTP method to install the firmware on in the case of a potential brick usually resolves it.

Cheers! Would it be possible to get the firmware version please? Currently setting up the router and would be good to have it to test in case the other options cause issues

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, TheJam said:

Cheers! Would it be possible to get the firmware version please? Currently setting up the router and would be good to have it to test in case the other options cause issues

Of course, I've sent you a PM.

After applying the firmware and setting the router back to factory settings, would there be any issues applying settings from a backup file after the factory reset or should any configuration be set up again manually after applying the update?

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, TheJam said:

After applying the firmware and setting the router back to factory settings, would there be any issues applying settings from a backup file after the factory reset or should any configuration be set up again manually after applying the update?

I would highly recommend you don't restore a configuration from another firmware version as that could bring issues. Better to start fresh in my opinion.