Games are unplayable on Xr700

Have the XR700 connected to a Virin super hub 3 in modem mode. Worked alright for a couple weeks and then I noticed my games started playing horribly. Thought my PS5 was broke so plugged the PS4 in and that was doing the same thing. Just completely out of sync even just playing against the AI on FIFA was ridiculous, the AI are trying to tackle no where near where I am etc. So theres just players sliding around the middle of the field😄

Have optimised QOS, tried UPNP on/off, DMZ mode on/off. Seems worse in DMZ somehow?

When I switch back to the virgin superhub and connect that to a console via modem mode the gameplay issues go away. The connection isn't great as theres a lot of latency but its 10x more playable.

Tried multiple factory resets, tried different firmwares. Same thing happening. I gave away my TP link which worked alright and now I can't even return this as I've had it awhile. So going to ahve to buy another router ontop of he £300 I've just paid for this it looks like.

• Administrators

I would suggest taking the V hub out of modem mode, I have Virgin myself and find the modem mode to be flaky. Set it to router mode, set a reserved IP for the XR700 then place that in the DMZ on the V hub. Disable V hub WiFi. In WAN Settings on the XR change NAT to Open. Then see how you get on. 

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would suggest taking the V hub out of modem mode, I have Virgin myself and find the modem mode to be flaky. Set it to router mode, set a reserved IP for the XR700 then place that in the DMZ on the V hub. Disable V hub WiFi. In WAN Settings on the XR change NAT to Open. Then see how you get on. 

Still not any better. My pin in modem mode in game is around 22, wit the nihthawk its at least 35 too despite having the best QOS settins i could find.

• Administrators

The Geo-Filter and QoS can't be setup correctly then because just placing a router behind it wouldn't account for that much ping. Where are you checking the ping? Based on that, you need to optimize QoS more to bring down those spikes.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The Geo-Filter and QoS can't be setup correctly then because just placing a router behind it wouldn't account for that much ping. Where are you checking the ping? Based on that, you need to optimize QoS more to bring down those spikes.

I've turned GeoFilter off for now. I'm just checking my ping out in game using the ingame ping monitor in FIFA. These are the best I can find with download set to 15%!

This is it set at 100 on eac and then the recommended 70%. 70 looks a bit better now althouh it's usually looked worse every oter time I've tested it.

ping2.png

ping3.png

Hi, made a proper account so I can be notified of replies etc.

21 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

What is upload set to? Looks like you could do with reducing that more too.

Had it 25% in the first image. Lowest value for ping was whilst at 80% I think. Have tried every 2 percent and not been able to get it below 50. 

The ping is obviously an issue, but my 2nd concern at the moment. As mentioned in the first post even offline gaming on games like FiFA have became horrible using the Xr700. This is not a ping issue, I've played at 30% WiFi strength on terrible ping connections before and and in its never been out of sync like this. I feel like there's some sort of interference or problem somehwere that's causing this issue. Never had it on any previous routers and now both my consoles are affected by it?

Tried to post a clip, hopefully it works. I think even if you don't play FIFA you can tell how horribly out of sync the AI reactions are. Notice how they try to tackle so far away from me. 

https://streamable.com/n0pgif

That's so strange, I'm guessing this is in FUT? Do you have the same issue if you do a regular offline friendly?

Disconnect the console from the internet entirely, surely the offline matches should now play normally?

As a quick test, could you try adding a rule to Traffic Prioritisation for your console using these ports:

Source: 1-65535

Dest: 1935 - 42127

TCP & UDP

Test this and let me know if it makes a difference.

22 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

That's so strange, I'm guessing this is in FUT? Do you have the same issue if you do a regular offline friendly?

Disconnect the console from the internet entirely, surely the offline matches should now play normally?

As a quick test, could you try adding a rule to Traffic Prioritisation for your console using these ports:

Source: 1-65535

Dest: 1935 - 42127

TCP & UDP

Test this and let me know if it makes a difference.

This was in offline friendly too. Again it works normal without that nighthawk in the picture. I've just received a new superhub today as connection was dropping sometimes since I added the nighthawk too. I'll set it up and try these numbers too. 

1 hour ago, Zooom said:

This was in offline friendly too. Again it works normal without that nighthawk in the picture. I've just received a new superhub today as connection was dropping sometimes since I added the nighthawk too. I'll set it up and try these numbers too. 

If the game mode is completely offline, the XR couldn't possibly have any affect on gameplay. OK let us know how you get on with the new Superhub and the new rule and let us know.

17 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

If the game mode is completely offline, the XR couldn't possibly have any affect on gameplay. OK let us know how you get on with the new Superhub and the new rule and let us know.

Still having issues with gameplay. Again I've tried removing the XR out and using the virgin superhub and it plays alright just poor connection. Nee rule didn't seem to make any difference.

Ping seems better on download on new superhub at least, it's very close to following they yellow line now. Upload still won't budge. 

On 11/02/2021 at 1:42 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Is the new rule detecting traffic?

Have you tried playing a game completely disconnected from the XR, with no connection at all, just to ensure it actually fully offline and the game plays normally.

Yep. 

Yeah, I've tried that and it works. Really can't work out what's wrong. I've noticed speeds on consoles are way lower than they should be too, about 30/40mb down than what it should be. 

On WiFi I'm only getting around 45mb right next to the router and the latency seems super high? I know this is not the most accuracy test but my loaded is only ever a few ms difference normally.

Screenshot_2021-02-13-01-09-41-63.jpg

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Open Command prompt on your PC (preferably when wired) then type ping 192.168.1.1 -t and then let that go for about 30 seconds. Then press Ctrl + C on the keyboard and post the results here please.

pin7.png

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so no issues there, thank you. Can you do the same but for 192.168.0.1 which is the V hub please.

I can do it later for sure. I had a revelation though, when I used my last router I always had the 2.4 GHz band disabled. I've tried that with the nighthawk too and have just had a couple of hours of really crisp gameplay. 

Looking at phone WiFi it's improved a lot too. This was as high as 400 ms loaded this morning! So my initial thoughts about some sort of interference might be right? 

Screenshot_2021-02-13-18-18-18-25.jpg

• 1 month later...

Turns out that may not have been the issue afterall? The problems keeps recurring. Last weekend same issue so used superhub all week no problem, plugged nighthawk back in on the weekend was ok for a day then it's back to the same problems. 

6 hours ago, Zooom said:

Turns out that may not have been the issue afterall? The problems keeps recurring. Last weekend same issue so used superhub all week no problem, plugged nighthawk back in on the weekend was ok for a day then it's back to the same problems. 

That's a shame. So you went a week or so without any troubles then? Were any changes made to the environment or any devices re-introduced? If possible, can you disable Wi-Fi entirely and play a game to see if that's still the culprit?

On 3/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, Netduma Liam said:

That's a shame. So you went a week or so without any troubles then? Were any changes made to the environment or any devices re-introduced? If possible, can you disable Wi-Fi entirely and play a game to see if that's still the culprit?

Nothing new I have all devices off when I play too. I'll try disabling 5ghz band and see if that helps. The problem seems to come on and go. Went alright for a few days again and then problem returned again, once again tried superhub and that's working normally.

I have similar to this issue also on ny XR700, mine is with Warzone - lags like mad, some games fine, most really bad... been at it months and i still cant work out how to fix it, altho switching to BT router for me dosent work either! Shoot first die first is the bane of my life 😂😂

Tried WiFi disabled. Feels a bit better but still getting double the in game ping I get on superhub.keep getting speedup lag and the connection error message in game to say I ahve poor connection..