Connection Issues are getting HIGHLY annoying

SO. this is the 2nd time I've purchased a netduma. had an r1. it was alright back then. I decided since my connection speeds and what not were beyond the specs of what it could handle and I had a lot of devices I wanted to get an upgrade to make the most out of my connection. Now I have an XR700 nighthawk. Not happy. always have double NAT on Xbox and my PlayStation always type 2. I haven't used hardly any of the features on the router since I got it because I was waiting for tutorials since I got the ability when some new beta firmware came out that changed its operation a little bit. With that being said. I have had to restart from factory, not once but FOUR times. If I even try to use any additional features to improve NAT the router gives me crazy connection issues and if i undo all the changes I made to it, it doesn't care and the problems persist until I reset it and that is an annoyance all in its own setting all my stuff back up to it. I recently tried port forwarding because one of the games (Dead By Daylight I have discovered and I LOVE this game) has just all of a sudden stopped working. I went online to find port guides. first thing I found was sites saying disable uPnP to start the process and then put in the ports yada yada yada. well when I specifically  tried to look for a simple guide to help me as a template from start to finish, i was shocked I simply can not find a tutorial for this router. HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING. So immediately I had accomplished nothing and decided I did not know how to do everything perfectly and turned uPnP back on (only change I made) and omfg now my connection is struggling with MULTIPLE GAMES. I'm getting negative ping rates on servers for other games so I cant join any but one server or my games have stopped working together all in general. Only reason I haven't reset it again is cause last time I did I felt like the router i paid a lot for almost bricked cause i had to go through so much effort to get it to come back on an hour after hitting that factory reset. For a product that is so highly regarded, I would have expected some kind of support on basic things like forwarding examples. a simple 2 minute video somewhere. I couldn't find a consistent example on something basic like that through hours on googling how to port forward for this specific router. I'm such a paranoid individual cause of the issues I've had I don't want to do anything else with it and for the money I don't think you should have to be extremely versed to use it. I love that its supposed to have all these features to help me dominate the lag. But if you are unable to find out how to use these features with ease then what's the point when other routers are cheaper and don't give these problems ? 

4 hours ago, swiqzy said:

Not happy. always have double NAT on Xbox and my PlayStation always type 2.

Nat type 2 means that you are "behind" a router is ok that....to have nat type 1 you must connect your ps4 directly to internet without router...in ps4 network menu...choose custom settings....pppoe etc...put your ISP credentials and connect...this is nat type 1.....or if your ISP provides to you above one public ip's for your connection you must set your modem etc with "passthrough" to use one ip for your VOIP and a different ip to connect with XR700 via pppoe to establish connection....with this will have nat type 2 which is normal and will not have double nat because only XR700 will do "NAT"...this is a more complicated set up.

To open ports......well..i dont recommend upnp..it isnt the "safest" method to archive what do you want. I recommend port forward..

Soo how to open ports to your ps4 for a specific game?

First of all the "trick" is to have static ip for your ps4.....connect ps4 to XR700..then in network settings DHCP server you will see your ps4.....put the ip you want to use for this device etc. 192.168.88.100 click the "tick" in box....click save....thats it now your ps4 will use every time 192.168.88.100

Then in port forward menu.....to understand what we do...we tell to router to open ports in specific ip etc 192.168.88.100 manually...thats why we need static ip for ps4 ..because if we open ports in 192.168.88.100 and you dont have static ip for ps4..when you reboot router or restart ps4..router will give a random different ip in ps4 etc

192.168.88.150...so the port forward rules will not "work" because they are for ip 192.168.88.100!!!! So it is crucial to have static ip for ps4.

So to open ports for static ip in ps4....etc you gave to it the 192.168.88.100..

Go in port forward menu....put in the ip of your ps4...etc 192.168.88.100..

In port source...start and end put etc 3074 (if you want to open 3074 port)

In destination..start and end put etc 3074 (if you want to open 3074 port)

Choose protocol etc...TCP..UDP...or BOTH of them...click save/apply.

Thats it restart router and ps4 to changes take affect.

If you want to open range of ports etc PSN network 3478-3480 udp...

In "start" put 3478 and in "end" put 3480 and choose "udp".

If you put in "start" 1 and in "end" 65535 you just open ALL ports for this device...it is similar to DMZ....if you do this and another device in your network needs to open specific ports to work..it cannot because all ports are open for ps4.

***dont use UPNP and port forward at the same time****

I think these will help you a bit..

What is you topology of your network?..How do you connect to internet?Modem?Modem/router device?

thats actually what I have already done. thanks for your input I just don't understand why doing exactly what you said has caused my router to have the issues.I have also had issues where it shows the update icon lights up and says theres an update avalaible then it checks and timesout. EVERY SINGLE TIME 

• Administrators

Sorry to hear you're having this issue, I assume you still have those port forwards enabled after re-enabling UPnP which may be conflicting and causing a problem. Which firmware version are you on? You may want to take a look at the User Guide that has details on port forwarding and the other features, slightly outdated for 3.0 but we'll work on that - it's still in beta currently. https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR700/XR700_UM_EN.pdf

What is your exact physical setup? What is your modem model? Is it a pure modem (no WiFi) or a modem/router (wifi)? Are you using QoS or the Geo-Filter at all as they will benefit you, perhaps the Geo-Filter is causing some of the issues with the games, for example it hasn't been tested with Dead By Daylight.