R2 DumaOS Firewall?

K0NSPIRACY

Does DumaOS 3.0.179 have a firewall installed or do we always need to use the firewall on ISP modem? If there is one, is there any action needed to activate it or is it on by default? Also, is any additional configuration required or recommended for the DumaOS firewall if there is one?

50 minutes ago, Newfie said:

It’s firewall is on and there’s no user input for rules for obvious reasons.

So we can disable the ISP router firewall without any risks? My thinking is we don’t need 2 firewalls if DumaOS already has one?

45 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Is your isp router in modem mode only?

I’ve recently moved ISP to BT so have their Smarthub2, and as far as I’m aware there’s no option to put into a modem only mode unless it’s a combination of settings that I have to do in the admin panel.

9 minutes ago, Newfie said:

I don’t think you can, does it allow DMZ? 

There is a DMZ setting allowing for one IP to be entered so I used this for the R2 WAN IP, but this has changed itself several times now despite the IP being set to “always use this IP address” and increasing the lease time (was 24 hours but increased to 21 days).

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

Are you having double NAT issues? 

Yeah I randomly started having Double NAT a few times last week and posted in the Double NAT thread about it. I was able to resolve it by checking/updating the WAN IP details in both the R2 and ISP router, and hard resetting the Xbox.

On 1/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Glad you got your NAT issues resolved. As above, the R2 Firewall is active by default and no way to adjust it. You can disable the firewall on the hub as long as all devices are connected to the R2 so they're protected.

Thanks Fraser. I’ve disabled the BT Smarthub2 firewall and all my devices are connected to R2.

I’m hoping this may resolve some of the issues including the double NAT and XBL party chat. I noticed Teredo was previously in the BT Smarthub2 (think it captures automatically) and pretty sure it wasn’t in DumaOS however it has now appeared.

Friends haven’t been online to test XBL party chat issue yet, so still playing without Geo Filter and QoS enabled for now.

On 1/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Glad you got your NAT issues resolved.

I randomly got a new NAT issue last night...checked Network Settings as I usually do when powering on Xbox One and had moderate NAT with “UPNP not successful” message.

UPNP was enabled on both the R2 and BT Smarthub2 so I completely disabled UPNP on the BT hub. I restarted all 3 devices and got an open NAT again.

Is this the right thing to do or is disabling UPNP on the BT Smarthub2 likely to cause any issues?

2 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

I randomly got a new NAT issue last night...checked Network Settings as I usually do when powering on Xbox One and had moderate NAT with “UPNP not successful” message.

UPNP was enabled on both the R2 and BT Smarthub2 so I completely disabled UPNP on the BT hub. I restarted all 3 devices and got an open NAT again.

Is this the right thing to do or is disabling UPNP on the BT Smarthub2 likely to cause any issues?

That's interesting, I don't see any issues with your solution, is it causing any problems thus far? If you've got an open NAT and you're getting games OK now, then that should be fine.

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

That's interesting, I don't see any issues with your solution, is it causing any problems thus far? If you've got an open NAT and you're getting games OK now, then that should be fine.

Yeah it was working ok last night after I did those steps, but it was working fine prior to that too...like I say, it was just another completely random NAT issue and came out nowhere like the first time I got the double NAT issue.