Schedule reboot

Guest Killhippie
3 minutes ago, kgrm said:

Hi forum, 

Happy new year, God bless you!

I have a doubt, can I schedule a reboot weekly?

Thanks!

Not at this time, but you can get plugs that have timers on them so you could go down that road if it helps. Or just reboot it yourself weekly. May I ask why you want to do this?

1 minute ago, Killhippie said:

Not at this time, but you can get plugs that have timers on them so you could go down that road if it helps. Or just reboot it yourself weekly. May I ask why you want to do this?

Thank you, I'm going to use a smart plug and I'm going to connect this plug to a hidden SSID of my ISP modem.

Guest Killhippie
Just now, kgrm said:

Thank you, I'm going to use a smart plug and I'm going to connect this plug to a hidden SSID of my ISP modem.

Hiding your SSID does not give you added security as its very easy with a simple Wi-Fi scanner to find it. You don't want a smart plug because once the Wi-Fi is down you cant connect to it to boot back up again. A manual time type would be better.

Guest Killhippie
19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Happy New Year! As others have stated this isn't something that is currently available, it has been requested before though so we will likely implement it at some point. 

Why does it need a reboot schedule Fraser? My router does not need it, just curious as I would have thought a shell script say "clearcache.sh" under root would work on the partition. :)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

Why does it need a reboot schedule Fraser? My router does not need it, just curious as I would have thought a shell script say "clearcache.sh" under root would work on the partition. :)

There is no need for it specifically but it should be fairly easy to implement and some people do like to reboot often so if we can add something simple like that with too much effort then it may be worth it.

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There is no need for it specifically but it should be fairly easy to implement and some people do like to reboot often so if we can add something simple like that with too much effort then it may be worth it.

I can understand people like to reboot but considering it can do more harm than good as power fluctuations like on/off can cause damage if used repeatedly a Cron job like clearcache.sh" written into your Linux code would be better for memory management. If thats why users are doing it, also why add something thats not really needed for the sake of it, people can reboot on their own surely? :)

A Cron job like
Create a shell script say "clearcache.sh" under root  (/root) partition with following commands #!/bin/sh sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_cache. Set the permission of "clearcache.sh" script to 755, chmod 755 /root/clearcache.sh  then Edit the system crontab file using the command crontab -e, then enter the following line in the crontab file to set cron job for clearing cache memory automatically 0 * * * * /root/clearcache.sh' This cron job  should execute the "clearcache.sh" script every first second of the hour. Then the cache is cleared without a reboot (I hope) I may have made some errors its been years since I played with Linux but a cron job would be great.

• 1 year later...

It might be placebo, but I feel like my router performs better after a restart(or performs worse if it hasn't been restarted in a while, kind of like how you're meant to restart your PC often to avoid random issues), and being able to schedule restarts at night would be very practical.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Meat said:

It might be placebo, but I feel like my router performs better after a restart(or performs worse if it hasn't been restarted in a while, kind of like how you're meant to restart your PC often to avoid random issues), and being able to schedule restarts at night would be very practical.

I'm sure there is something to it as it would free up cached RAM for example, we know it's something people want so we are looking into implementing it

• 2 months later...