How to setup my NetDuma R2 instead Swisscom Internet Box 3?

Nightwalker

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone here is also from Switzerland and can someone help me with changing my ISP router with NetDuma R2?
I really have no experience with this and I would ask for help here. I bought this product from your website 7 days ago and I still can't set up properly for it to work.
I've tried everything that's in my power and my last solution is here before I pay someone to come at my home and do it for me.
So, one more time... please, if someone can help me because it's really frustrating time for me now. I took my working days off so I can deal with this.
I want to come home and play my games normally but now it's really disappointing that I can't just relax and play. Thanks.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is the issue you're having exactly setting it up? It won't be able to replace the ISP router if you don't have a separate modem/ONT for the R2 to connect to. You need to connect the R2 to the ISP router as per the setup guide and then you should access the R2 and go through the setup wizard, then you'll have internet and be able to use the features.

15 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is the issue you're having exactly setting it up? It won't be able to replace the ISP router if you don't have a separate modem/ONT for the R2 to connect to. You need to connect the R2 to the ISP router as per the setup guide and then you should access the R2 and go through the setup wizard, then you'll have internet and be able to use the features.

I connected R2 to my ISP router, but I want my R2 to be main one in my house. I don't want to use ISP one at all anymore. I want to switch it forever.
There's also one more thing, my Nat Type on PS5 is always moderate. I can't open ports.

• Administrators

In that case you need to replace the ISP router with a modem suitable for your connection and then connect the R2 to it. As it is a router it has to be connected to a modem/router to get internet. Meanwhile if you put the WAN IP from the R2 System Information page into the ISP router DMZ then that will give you an open NAT.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In that case you need to replace the ISP router with a modem suitable for your connection and then connect the R2 to it. As it is a router it has to be connected to a modem/router to get internet. Meanwhile if you put the WAN IP from the R2 System Information page into the ISP router DMZ then that will give you an open NAT.

Thanks, man! My nat type is open again. 
Now, there's a cable for my connection that goes from electrical outlet (telephone) and when I take that main cable for internet which is plugged in my ISP router and move it in R2 instead, my whole internet just stop working. Then, when I plug it back into my ISP router again, it's back! I know that there's a solution to make my R2 main one and not to use two routers like i'm doing now. My R2 is plug into ISP one but I don't like that idea because I think that my connection will not be at best because of it and from another side... Who uses two routers? 
NetDuma R2 is everything I ever needed.

@Nightwalker 

U probably have a VDSL or ADSL line and none of the Netduma routers are a xDSL modem/router.

So u going to need to buy a xDSL modem/router that can be put in Bridge mode and put the VLAN id out and connect ur R2 behind that.

But first u have to find out what connection u have exactly and which VLAN's u need for your specific ISP line, try logging in your ISP modem and look for Status, Line statistics or something similar maybe u find that information there 

Guest Killhippie

Or just buy a modem which is not a router and is compatible with your ISP, ait should require no configuration and connect it to your WAN port on the R2. Modems tend to be much easier to use than routers in bridge mode and do all the heavy lifting for you. See Vigor 130 for instance its a great modem, just make sure you get one for your country.

11 hours ago, Nightwalker said:

Thanks, man! My nat type is open again. 
Now, there's a cable for my connection that goes from electrical outlet (telephone) and when I take that main cable for internet which is plugged in my ISP router and move it in R2 instead, my whole internet just stop working. Then, when I plug it back into my ISP router again, it's back! I know that there's a solution to make my R2 main one and not to use two routers like i'm doing now. My R2 is plug into ISP one but I don't like that idea because I think that my connection will not be at best because of it and from another side... Who uses two routers? 
NetDuma R2 is everything I ever needed.

Depending on who your ISP is, you can typically run them in some kind of a 'modem' mode, which disables its routing functionality. 

The R2 does not have any modem functionality, you won't be able to run it solo!

12 hours ago, Mobel said:

@Nightwalker 

U probably have a VDSL or ADSL line and none of the Netduma routers are a xDSL modem/router.

So u going to need to buy a xDSL modem/router that can be put in Bridge mode and put the VLAN id out and connect ur R2 behind that.

But first u have to find out what connection u have exactly and which VLAN's u need for your specific ISP line, try logging in your ISP modem and look for Status, Line statistics or something similar maybe u find that information there 

No, bro. My router is DSL. The thing is, I have no option 'Bridge Mode anywhere'. 

Internet access
The Internet diagnosis contains technical information for Internet access fault analysis.
Internet connection
Connected
Connection type
g.fast
DSL connection type
DHCP
DNS server
Internet IP address
IPv6 prefix
IPv6 type
DynDNS
Not activated

The only similarly thing I've found is this:

Static routes
Expert users can use static routes to operate an additional router on the Internet-Box. To enable the Internet-Box to recognise the network of the additional router, a static route must be entered the first time. This ensures that the data traffic is forwarded to the additional network.

• Administrators

Lots of good advice above, as I mentioned, you will need to either use it in the configuration you have now with the R2 in the DMZ - that's what I do in my own home setup - lots of people do this option as it saves from buying a separate modem or you will need to get a modem. I can assure you as long as all devices are connected to the R2 then you experience will not be impacted using this setup.