Xr1000 devices keep disconnecting

1 minute ago, Mi6300m said:

Yeah and it sucks having that feature advertised and we can't use it. This has been out since October. Whatever beta testing I can do to help with this sign me up. I like this router, but the OS is becoming troublesome.

Yeah I agree. I feel like for how recent this router is and the price tag it has, it's not getting updated as often as it should.
This issue has been ongoing now for more than 3 months by the looks of things... we shouldn't have to disable advertised features like this in order for Wi-Fi (or any other important functionality) to work.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mi6300m said:

These settings for me are the most stable...but still have devices like my eufyVac, Google Nest Hub, and sometimes my Note10+5G drop:

Where I have the major issues is when smart connect is on (which i'd like to actually use) the eufyvac and nest hub doesn't even connect at all. and 2 of my Roku Stick+ devices drop wifi constantly.

Some devices do not like Smart Connect and are not able to seamlessly transition bands based on Bandwidth as the router does without connecting manually to a band. I would suggest making a guest WiFi for such devices and then using Smart Connect for the main WiFi so you get the best of both worlds.

On 3/4/2021 at 11:50 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Some devices do not like Smart Connect and are not able to seamlessly transition bands based on Bandwidth as the router does without connecting manually to a band. I would suggest making a guest WiFi for such devices and then using Smart Connect for the main WiFi so you get the best of both worlds.

I do understand that. But these same devices did not do this on the XR500. So I'm not sure it could be.

And I just got home and my family just told me the wifi completely stopped. After some digging my IP ranges (formerly 10.0.0.#), WiFi names and password were gone on. It's like it factory reset without going through the motions. It asked me to agree to the eula and then poof...back into the dashboard. Nothing else. 

This thing is possessed and is about to be sledgehammered.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Mi6300m said:

I do understand that. But these same devices did not do this on the XR500. So I'm not sure it could be.

And I just got home and my family just told me the wifi completely stopped. After some digging my IP ranges (formerly 10.0.0.#), WiFi names and password were gone on. It's like it factory reset without going through the motions. It asked me to agree to the eula and then poof...back into the dashboard. Nothing else. 

This thing is possessed and is about to be sledgehammered.

It might be the power cut briefly causing a reset, I''d see if you can get a replacement, either with the retailer you purchased from or by making a ticket with Netgear here: http://support.netgear.com/

• 4 weeks later...

A little update; It's not as bad as before after messing with the settings I noted here previously, but some devices do still cut out intermittently requiring a reboot to solve.
Both channels are separate (as they should be) without using smart connect.

Can we get an update on where you guys are at with this particular issue? Has the culprit been found yet at least?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, headstruck said:

A little update; It's not as bad as before after messing with the settings I noted here previously, but some devices do still cut out intermittently requiring a reboot to solve.
Both channels are separate (as they should be) without using smart connect.

Can we get an update on where you guys are at with this particular issue? Has the culprit been found yet at least?

What are the devices you're seeing this happen with, are the Apple devices or Windows 10 devices by any chance?

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What are the devices you're seeing this happen with, are the Apple devices or Windows 10 devices by any chance?

Android devices, but weirdly enough my phone seems to have been fine - maybe I'm not using it enough to notice these drop-outs.
The two devices that are (primarily) affected by this is an Android tablet and some Samsung A20 variant or so - one being on 2.4GHz and the other on 5Ghz.

• Administrators

I think they have this option as well actually so do this please, go to WiFi settings then tap the gear icon next to the XR Wi-Fi name, go to MAC address type, select Use phone MAC, then turn OFF your device's Wi-Fi and then ON again and see if they're able to connect properly and that the disconnects stop.

42 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think they have this option as well actually so do this please, go to WiFi settings then tap the gear icon next to the XR Wi-Fi name, go to MAC address type, select Use phone MAC, then turn OFF your device's Wi-Fi and then ON again and see if they're able to connect properly and that the disconnects stop.

Both devices are already set to use the device MAC address, so that's not the issue I think.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you give the devices reserved IPs in LAN Settings on the router please, then on the devices forget the WiFi network, then reconnect and see if they're better then?

Just done that, I'll let you know how it is after a couple days. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright @Netduma Fraser, I gave it more time and intentionally left one of the few devices that are having this issue on an unreserved IP.
All of the devices that had a reserved IP has been completely fine, but the leftover device that didn't have a reserved IP once again kept dropping on 2.4GHz.

It seems like making an IP reservation has solved the issues we were having with this - I'll double-down on it in a few weeks to allow time for this device to have a moment again, and if it doesn't, then that's our solution until the next update (hopefully?).

3 hours ago, headstruck said:

Alright @Netduma Fraser, I gave it more time and intentionally left one of the few devices that are having this issue on an unreserved IP.
All of the devices that had a reserved IP has been completely fine, but the leftover device that didn't have a reserved IP once again kept dropping on 2.4GHz.

It seems like making an IP reservation has solved the issues we were having with this - I'll double-down on it in a few weeks to allow time for this device to have a moment again, and if it doesn't, then that's our solution until the next update (hopefully?).

Awesome, thanks for the update. Sure so continue with static IPs for now until we're able to resolve this! 

I had the same issue with my devices, especially my Nest Thermostat and didn't matter if I selected 2.4 or 5ghz. One would disconnect every night and I would have to then select the other. I finally set a DHCP reservation and now I don't have that problem. The other issue that I have now is if there is a power outage, our Google Mini's will lose connection until I power cycle them. I did not have this issue with the previous router (Linksys). 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jwmart69 said:

I had the same issue with my devices, especially my Nest Thermostat and didn't matter if I selected 2.4 or 5ghz. One would disconnect every night and I would have to then select the other. I finally set a DHCP reservation and now I don't have that problem. The other issue that I have now is if there is a power outage, our Google Mini's will lose connection until I power cycle them. I did not have this issue with the previous router (Linksys). 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If you reserve an IP for them as well then they're likely to be able to regain a connection faster

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it's mid 2023 and I still have the same issues after trying all above mentioned fixes. Was there ever a fix for this, am I missing something. I have had this issue since purchasing the router and my online support has expired, they told me they would keep my ticket open but didn't. I now have no tech support for this issue from Netgear. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Averagegamer said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it's mid 2023 and I still have the same issues after trying all above mentioned fixes. Was there ever a fix for this, am I missing something. I have had this issue since purchasing the router and my online support has expired, they told me they would keep my ticket open but didn't. I now have no tech support for this issue from Netgear. 

In LAN Setting, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.