Lots of lag - Games unplayable - Losing connection to game servers

Kam

Hi there,

I have had the r2 for a few weeks now and i am getting beyond frustrated with my game connection. I bought this router to eliminate lag not to add it. The lag in my games is so bad i get kicked out of game server whilst in middle of the game hence losing points/bonus for my game play!

I need some serious help in configuring this "router" as its perfor.ing way worse than my isp router which is saying something in itself!!

See the attached screenshot for ref... 

Hope you can help otherwise i have wasted £130 on junk. 

Eagerly waiting your reply!

20201023_004208.jpg

IMG-20201023-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20201023-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20201023-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20201023-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20201023-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20201023-WA0018.jpg

log-1603411568800.txt

Kam,  Has your R2 ever performed good for you? Or has its performance slowly degraded over time?

What are your current speeds your getting? Are you gaming wired or on wifi?

If your using the Geo Filter make sure you dont have a server blocked that needs to be added for authentication purposes..

Also this could be something as easy as fine tuning your connection with the sliders..CC..

Thanks

Zippy.

Hi Ziggy,

I have attached some screenshots which can answer some questions...

R2 performed well for 2-3 days then it degraded. Current ISP - BT.

DL speed - 68mbs UL speed - 18mbs.

I play with a wired connection and i have attempted using the sliders which again you can see in the screenshots.

Also the Logs are attched.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

Kam

Your CC looks good and your ping under load looks pretty good as well.. You do get a few small spikes but I hardly would say thats an issue..

Heres what I would try.. To rule out the Geo Filter for a blocked server that is needed try these steps once.

When searching for a game try disabling filter mode. 

Another way would also be to disable filter mode right after a game starts..

I have a funny feeling from what info you have said that there is likely an authenticating server being blocked.. Its tricky to see it on the Geo Filter because it only shows up for a quick few seconds and then disappears.. When you search for a game zoom out on the Geo Filter and see if you can spot a server pop up.. 

Something else I noticed also in your QoS page/Traffic Prioritization  is you have Games Console added.. Which is fine.. But when you add Games Console you should also disable DumaOS classified games.. You dont need both enabled.. Once you added Games Console that is all that is needed..

Try these few ideas and see how that goes for you and report back..

Thanks for your screenshots! Those do help alot!

Zippy. 

Thank you for your response. All of your Qs are related to the Geo-Filter.

The Geo-Filter page is redundant for me as the only game i play is PES 2021 and unfortunately this game is not listed as an option. So i don't really use it or know how far the servers are located whilst playing. I have no idea if the polygon i drew or the ping assist level i changed on there work and if it is doing me any favours. 

RE Ping Spikes - In the QoS Rapp i have used the congestion control Auto-Setup feature and prioritised Ping. There i regularly get 2-3 huge ping spike (DL&UL) per test peaking around 80.

So can you suggest what is going wrong or how to get this router working properly?

Thanks

Kam

I will tag @Netduma Fraser here for you.. He will give you the best possible help needed to get you setup correctly for your situation.. 

There is something else I also just noticed on your QoS page.. On Congestion Control select "Always" and not Auto Enable and rerun your Auto Test again..  It also never hurts to manually lower your upload and download sliders and run a Benchmark Test as you lower them.. I feel one can get a better experience that way.. What you want to look at in the Benchmark test is ping underload.. You want that as low and stable as possible.. So you would keep lowering your sliders until one achieves that and keep rerunning Connection Benchmark tests to confirm your sweet spot..  Once you have that dialed in then I believe you should be golden..

Now on the game you play Fraser will likely be able to give you good advice there.. And what to do.. I just dont want to give you the wrong advice and add more issues..

Good luck!

Zippy.

• Administrators

Regardless of whether you're actively looking at the Geo-Filter or not it is enabled so would agree with Zippy and try disabling it first of all and see if the disconnect issue disappears. I would also suggest as above to use Congestion Control and experiment with the %, find what lowers the Ping Under Load test as much as possible manually.

Hi both,

Sorry for the late reply...

Anyway as advised I have tested as mentioned above, nothing seams to improve my connection. Internet is now running even slow and webpages are taking for ever to load. Also my ping spikes are continuing and ping underload is high too, yet in my connection test in all 3 criteria are showing ratings as A+ which i do not agree with as it is not translating into a stable connection.

I really need a remote session with the support team to help with my issues.

@Netduma Fraser - Please help as i am tempted to revert back to my ISP router and return this!!

Thank you,

Kam

1 - Disable the filtering mode of the PS4
2 - Disable all devices from the priority traffic
3 - Put the PS at 50% in DL and UP.
4 - Restart the R2
You can also check which ports PES21 uses and prioritize them ...

Hi Fraser,

I have installed the latest update and factory reset the R2. I have found my issues to persist and whilst doing the congestion control & connection benchmark test i have found my ping highly unstable (worse than before), see screenshots attached.

Due to this router causing highly unstable connection and real slow speeds loading pages on the browser, for now i have switched back to my ISP router hence making the R2 redundant and waste of money.

Please help me set up this router asap!

Thanks,

Kam

* If i don't use the Auto setup then i have to manually adjust my UP & DL sliders. I tried this but the ping continues to be insane.

*After factory reset i changed nothing apart from doing the auto-setup test, `added PS4 as device and then ran benchmark tests.

It's been 5 days now and still no resolution???

• Administrators

Your Ping Under Load test is pretty good so that isn't an issue, your base ping is pretty low so your game ping should be around 30ms max which is very good. If you use the Geo-Filter without Filtering Mode enabled, what ping do you get to the server and where is the server located?

As Wilsonbx198st mentioned above i have put both my DL & UL sliders to 70% and the Geo Filter radius is capped at 800miles.

Done a connection benchmark test and my base ping & ping underload is lower than 10ms, as you say it's pretty good.

Ive disabled the filtering mode on Geo-filter and i have pinged the fortnite servers (UK), chose the 2 best ones (ping under 20ms) and saved them in my custom list. 

I then played the game and the game was unplayable in most patches. I had a lot of packet loss and my ping was erratic from 200ms-1056ms (according to the stats on fortnite). Many times i was kicked out of the game or the game froze for 5-10sec.

I have uploaded a picture of realtime game play showing the stats on netduma and on Fortnite. The stats don't match up.

Just incase the picture is not clear:

Whilst playing, R2 shows the servers that i have connected with for fortnite is giving me ping under 15ms but the game shows my ping as 894 with 1-8% packet loss!

Also when i do a speed test in PS4, my DL & UL speeds are ridiculous giving me less than 1mb UL & DL (see pic attached)

@Netduma FraserPlease explain? 

20201029_163532.jpg

20201029_165745.jpg

• Administrators

That picture is of Ping Heatmap so is very unlikely to be the one you are connected to. You will need to look at the Geo-Filter and ping the actual server you're connected to to get an idea of ping. That will also then tell you whether it is an issue on your side or server side. What other QoS settings are you using? Have you disabled Share Excess for Bandwidth Allocation for example or made custom Traffic Prioritization rules?

i can not ping any server from Geo-Filter or maybe i dont know how to? 

Share Excess: How do i turn this off?

RE: QoS settings & traffic prioritisation rules, see attached screen shots.

If i allow remote access to tech support can they take a look at my set up and figure out where i am going wrong, as we have been circling around this issue for 6 days now without any resolution. It would be faster this way.

Thanks

Kam

Screenshot_2020-10-29_at_21_25_49.thumb.png.d4fc59013ffb6c44217325fceacd1cd6.pngScreenshot_2020-10-29_at_21_26_01.thumb.png.de2d33a7130bae4d63d84960ab925eb0.png

• Administrators

If you have your device added to the Geo-Filter and have Auto Ping enabled it will automatically ping when you're in a game. You have to add the device to do that. Part of the problem most likely is that you're not utilizing the Geo-Filter to see where the best servers are located. Delete the manual rules you've added to Traffic Prioritization and leave Classified Games enabled. Remote support just goes to the backend of the router, it's not helpful in this scenario.