Internet completely cutting out consistently on R2

VectorPRIME

So I got this thing 2 weeks ago and every day or so the internet would go out and a reboot would fix it until the next day or so. But it has been getting progressively worse. As of today the internet is going out literally just back to back to back. Earlier today I could reboot it to get it back on, it would stay on for about a minute, then it would go out again, and a second reboot would make it stay online for about 30 minutes to an hour. Now, my actual internet is working just fine through the Gateway from Xfinity. Over the last hour the R2 has gone out so consistently I couldn't even finish writing a ticket. I tried to do a factory reset on the router and set it up as fresh, that changed absolutely nothing. I got it set up and then immediately it told me I wasn't even connected to anything over ethernet. All lights still on and everything. When it cuts out, all of the lights and everything are still on, but literally all of my devices that are hardwired say they aren't even plugged into anything. So I can't even access DumaOS when this happens. I am seriously beginning to suspect it's either a bad router or there is something just seriously wrong with the DumaOS because I see other complaining of similar. It won't even allow me connect long enough to reinstall the newest firmware. I messed with zero settings on the router. Just the very basic settings that are on it when you start fresh. Have done nothing crazy with it at all. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Unplug the router from the power for 10 minutes, this will let the residual power drain. Then connect it, don't have the internet port connected to modem, just have it directly connected to your PC. This should give you enough time to upgrade - I've sent you a PM. Let us know how you get on.

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2020 at 7:01 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Unplug the router from the power for 10 minutes, this will let the residual power drain. Then connect it, don't have the internet port connected to modem, just have it directly connected to your PC. This should give you enough time to upgrade - I've sent you a PM. Let us know how you get on.

Hey Fraser,

I got my router recently and am having the same exact issue with the WiFi dropping internet connection multiple times per day and it requiring unplugging the router before it works again. Can you send me what you sent this poster if that got it working properly?

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, Rfrew24 said:

Hey Fraser,

I got my router recently and am having the same exact issue with the WiFi dropping internet connection multiple times per day and it requiring unplugging the router before it works again. Can you send me what you sent this poster if that got it working properly?

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. It was the latest firmware at the time so please upgrade to it here: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/33236-announcement-new-r2-firmware-30179/ and then do a factory reset for the freshest install possible and see if it helps. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2021 at 1:15 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. It was the latest firmware at the time so please upgrade to it here: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/33236-announcement-new-r2-firmware-30179/ and then do a factory reset for the freshest install possible and see if it helps. 

Hello again! I updated the firmware a few weeks ago with your link and I would say it slightly decreased the frequency of the router cutting out internet, but it still occurs way more often than is acceptable. I have factory reset it 2 times as well while on the new firmware and if anything it has gotten worse. We have had to hard reset the router by unplugging 3 times today, which is a huge issue while we are working from home.

What else can we do to alleviate this issue? I like the software and value of the router but if it doesn't keep our internet on I'm not sure how we can continue to use it.

Ryan

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, Rfrew24 said:

Hello again! I updated the firmware a few weeks ago with your link and I would say it slightly decreased the frequency of the router cutting out internet, but it still occurs way more often than is acceptable. I have factory reset it 2 times as well while on the new firmware and if anything it has gotten worse. We have had to hard reset the router by unplugging 3 times today, which is a huge issue while we are working from home.

What else can we do to alleviate this issue? I like the software and value of the router but if it doesn't keep our internet on I'm not sure how we can continue to use it.

Ryan

We actually released a new firmware a few days ago, could you upgrade to that and then factory reset and see if it improves the issue anymore please? https://forum.netduma.com/topic/34950-new-r2-firmware-30205/

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We actually released a new firmware a few days ago, could you upgrade to that and then factory reset and see if it improves the issue anymore please? https://forum.netduma.com/topic/34950-new-r2-firmware-30205/

Yes, I will try that now. I'll report back once we can determine if it fixed the issue

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Flamenation247 said:

I just upgraded to the newest firmware yesterday since the update I've had the wifi drop back to back or the internet completely drop 5 times total I did factory reboot after installing.

Can you try the guest wifi please and see if that is any more stable for you? Have you adjusted any of the WiFi settings?

I also have WiFi drop outs for no apparent reason. Only way around it is unplug and  put back in. 
no updated firmware yet as looks like a lot of problems. All I want is a free and easy time playing games and for the family to enjoy the WiFi. at the moment seems like best thing to get rid of the r2 as there doesn’t seem to be a fix 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Chompy20 said:

I also have WiFi drop outs for no apparent reason. Only way around it is unplug and  put back in. 
no updated firmware yet as looks like a lot of problems. All I want is a free and easy time playing games and for the family to enjoy the WiFi. at the moment seems like best thing to get rid of the r2 as there doesn’t seem to be a fix 

I would highly suggest you upgrade the firmware and perform a factory reset. It's actually quite stable comparing support requests with that of previous versions. Also as it's a support forum you will see issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 2:40 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey Fraser,

I updated the router again with the new firmware on the 18th and factory reset. After giving it some time, we are still getting the issue even with the new firmware. Can we return or replace the router since it is not able to maintain connectivity? We have tried to remain patient with these updates and troubleshooting but we cant have work calls drop because we need to reset the router. We got it 4 months ago, and over 2 of them have been spent troubleshooting this issue with no success.

Let me know what options we have. Thanks!

I’ve updated the router and done  the factory reset

everything has been fine for a few days and all of a sudden I’m getting drop outs on WiFi again 

I have to keep unplugging and plug back in for it to work. 
when the WiFi drops I cannot log into the dumaos via pc. 
if this persist I’m going to have to get rid as it’s pointless 

it looks like other users are having the same problem so it’s not just me 

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, Rfrew24 said:

Hey Fraser,

I updated the router again with the new firmware on the 18th and factory reset. After giving it some time, we are still getting the issue even with the new firmware. Can we return or replace the router since it is not able to maintain connectivity? We have tried to remain patient with these updates and troubleshooting but we cant have work calls drop because we need to reset the router. We got it 4 months ago, and over 2 of them have been spent troubleshooting this issue with no success.

Let me know what options we have. Thanks!

We can certainly look into a replacement if we're unable to solve it, I do have to suggest a few more things before we can do that. Is it ALL devices, WiFi or wired devices specifically? Can you disable QoS completely from the Congestion Control menu and see if it helps please? Can you setup the guest WiFi network and see if that is more stable?

30 minutes ago, Chompy20 said:

I’ve updated the router and done  the factory reset

everything has been fine for a few days and all of a sudden I’m getting drop outs on WiFi again 

I have to keep unplugging and plug back in for it to work. 
when the WiFi drops I cannot log into the dumaos via pc. 
if this persist I’m going to have to get rid as it’s pointless 

it looks like other users are having the same problem so it’s not just me 

Can you try my comments above please and see if they help?

40 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We can certainly look into a replacement if we're unable to solve it, I do have to suggest a few more things before we can do that. Is it ALL devices, WiFi or wired devices specifically? Can you disable QoS completely from the Congestion Control menu and see if it helps please? Can you setup the guest WiFi network and see if that is more stable?

Can you try my comments above please and see if they help?

It is on all devices- when the cutouts occur over WiFi my PC and TV which are wired with ethernet also go down. For that reason I don't thing messing with the guest network is a solution here for my scenario. Also, I never had QoS enabled; Congestion Control is set to "Never" in the QoS menu. I have left all settings the way they are other than setting up our SSID since we've been having these issues with it. 

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Rfrew24 said:

It is on all devices- when the cutouts occur over WiFi my PC and TV which are wired with ethernet also go down. For that reason I don't thing messing with the guest network is a solution here for my scenario. Also, I never had QoS enabled; Congestion Control is set to "Never" in the QoS menu. I have left all settings the way they are other than setting up our SSID since we've been having these issues with it. 

QoS is still active in that scenario so do check with it fully disabled from that menu and see if it helps.

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

QoS is still active in that scenario so do check with it fully disabled from that menu and see if it helps.

Got it, I see that checkbox now. I have disabled it, and should we get another disconnect I will reply and let you know

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, TheDirewolf said:

Same issue here. Just got my R2 March 4th, set it up the 5th, first two days of use I’ve had to unplug it 4 times to get the internet working again. Not impressed.

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. What is your exact physical setup? - what is the model of your modem/router? Can you disable IPv6 in LAN/WAN and in DHCP settings set the lease hours to 168, apply and reboot from the interface. Please see if it happens again after that.

My modem is a Hitron Tech CODA-45. I already had IPv6 disabled because my internet didn't work at all after default configuration with IPv6 enabled. It came shipped to me with what looks like the latest firmware, 3.0.205. Updated DHCP and will reboot after submitting this and see how it goes.

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, TheDirewolf said:

My modem is a Hitron Tech CODA-45. I already had IPv6 disabled because my internet didn't work at all after default configuration with IPv6 enabled. It came shipped to me with what looks like the latest firmware, 3.0.205. Updated DHCP and will reboot after submitting this and see how it goes.

Thanks for the information, do keep us posted!