XR1000: higher buffer bloat with great AX connection rating

a. 2.4ghz and 5.4ghz have a 93-95 signal strength

b. QOS is enabled and the 70% recommended cap (that replaced the bufferboat slider)

on the latest .44 firmware

ping rate in my games (ultima online outlands) is 60-100ms, on previous asus wifi 6 ax router it was 40-60ms.

bufferbloat seems poor 15 feet from router (above it/upstairs), have antennas in optimal positions. connected to asus external antenna based pci intel ax200 wifi nic.

dsl reports sees 200-300ms spikes on bufferbloat and gives an F score.

any ideaS?

2020-10-02 15_03_41-Start.png

Seems like bufferbloat is back to C score, still has mostly 200ms spikes in bufferbloat during the test.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/65803438

isp:
240 down
10 up

set to 190 down, 9up  (might differe from screenshot)
70% adjustment 
took a shot at setting up qos. 

2020-10-02 15_12_22-Start.png

2020-10-02 15_11_07-Start.png

• Administrators

I would suggest starting Congestion Control at 90%, running a Connection Benchmark test, checking the Ping Under Load results then rinse repeat by going down in multiples of 10% until you find a value that lowers it quite a lot, then try 5% either side of that value.

With 0 other connect devices and a value at 70%... its fine on the same floor through one wall on 2.4/5.2

going up to directly above the router however through my ceiling to bedroom... :

a. jitter, high bufferbloat, bad ping spikes

b. 200-400ms bufferbloat

distance < 5-6 feet . Tried antennas in multiple positions without success. 

| | | |

\| | /

etc

the connection drops from 400/20 to 200/10 on ax200 intel. 

bummer. Yarg for a $300 router, same performance as my $200 asus and 100$ tp link so far. No gaming benefits observed. 

also did a router reset and tried a different modem (docsis 3.1 instead of 3.0)... ping in game dropped from 80 to 50ms.. .however dslreports is still bad and the nighthawk performance tool.  (high bufferbloat and jitter if above the router, it seems ok if your on an even plane with the router)

• Administrators

If you literally have no other devices connected then and you're only gaming then you will not experience bufferbloat as bufferbloat occurs when your connection is under load and gaming will only ever use maximum 1/20th of your available upload so you don't need to worry about that. 

The average ping shown in Benchmark though does show that you may have some issues on your line so I would recommend directly connecting to the modem and use PingPlotter and see if that still appears.

Bufferbloat is poor per dsl reports speed test and the dumaos tool when going through a wall+ceiling (95 signal strength)  at about a distance of 8 feet. 

hard to get it to get a better signal no matter how i change my antenna. although its not too bad, my in game ping is 50-80 ms, and i had the same issue with tplink and asus ax routers. Was hoping this one would solve it. 

I did have it at 70/70% as recommended by netgear.

I am trying 60 down / 40% up, I do think its the wall. However even when there is no activity/streaming etc it has this issue. Unlike TPLINK that ignored QOS all together, I don't think its a qos issue. 

Although my signal strength from asus has improved from 83-90 average to 93-97, bufferbloat and above average ping on wifi has not improved on an idle network.

WiFi can be a devil to sort out, it alters through the day due to all that lovely RFI but AX should give you good connection rates. Leave the antennas pointing up, they are omni directional.

Use an app called WiFi Sweetspots on your phone or tablet, this will show your internal connection rate. This app helps to spot poor areas within the property. 
check to insure no neighbouring channels are using the same channel that you have selected on your Router, use one of those free Wi-Fi analysers. 
insure the router is placed in a nice open area and not by other electrical equipment that can cause interference.

while dslreports shows poor results what or how are you finding the gaming on the router? Sometimes it’s best to ignore reports and see how it feels as you can get caught up in figures. 

• Administrators

Great advice above. Regarding bufferbloat I'd suggest starting at 90% for both download/upload - use Always and then do a benchmark test. Go down in intervals of 10 and do a test, rinse repeat until you get a good result, then try 5% either side of it to see if you can reduce it any further.

• 2 months later...