Having to keep power cycling router.

NinJetSoul

I purchased net duma r2 last week and followed all your instructions for optimal settings for gaming. Qos is set on as always with % set to 70.  I'm currently playing destiny 2.  The problem I'm having is that after a power cycle the game play is very smooth and crisp for the first few matches and then after that it just goes down hill.  Is there something I can set to fix this issue without having to keep power cycling to receive smooth game play?

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What do you mean by downhill? Is there a noticeable ping difference between directly after a reboot and after a few matches? Is Congestion Control setup to limit Ping Under Load from Connection Benchmark as much as possible?

@Netduma Fraser

The ping on the connection benchmark is accurate?  Just wanna make sure bc I been chasing my own tail for the past few days because I used the connection benchmark speed test to test my speed and I thought there was a problem with the network provider as I was only receiving 400 mbs dl. After a few days of going crazy, I did some research and found out your product was giving me false readings. I didn't have a laptop that was capable of testing for gig speeds as that was my fault.  I understand there are working stages to make everyone happy.  This is the best gaming experience I've had so far bc geo filtering does help a lot.  I'll keep you updated on my findings.  Quick question though.  I'm connected through wifi and sometimes I'm unable to reach certain websites. It says dns not found

• Administrators

So the issue for Connection Benchmark is that the speed part is not super accurate for those who have very high speeds. The ping and ping under load is accurate so you can use Congestion Control to try and limit the Ping Under Load value as much as possible. That's really great to hear! That's very odd, try in WAN Settings changing DNS to 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 and see if that resolves it.

The ping starts off around 23 - 25 ms, 24-28 ms of ul, 1.08 jitters. And this is during load while I'm playing  after a fresh boot.  Gameplay is fantastic but at times during certain encounters with the enemy I hear a sound distortion but all bullets register.  After 5 games of classic mix the distortion sound happens (sounds like your at a concert but then the speaker goes off because of power loss) more frequently and the game play begins to slightly go from clean crisp fps to a slightly choppy fps.  And the sound from my headphones sounds distant.  When I check the ping again "dl 25-28, ul 26-29, jitters 1.80-3.3.  I know this is not much change but there seems to be more noise on the graph on the DL, up and jitters. It seems like the router is being overloaded.  When I check the geofiltering location on the map destiny 2 will not connect me to the server near me. It keeps connecting to the server in california as I'm from central location.  I flush cloud  and the same thing.  Still connecting to California server.  I reboot ps4 log back in and still not allowed to connect to the closest server near me and the sound from my head phone is still distant.  When I reboot my modem and router, all of that goes away.

• Administrators

Since the Destiny updates recently we have to make actual changes to the Geo-Filter itself to make it fully compatible again, we can't just use a cloud update so probably best not to use the Geo-Filter for it at the moment. When you notice the issues, adjust QoS again and try to get the ping down, it might be because of extra internet use in the home for example.

This has been happening since the first day I got the router.  I'm hearing intermitting crackling sounds while I'm gaming and I can see the cpu in DumaOS spike.  I honestly believe I have a faulty R2 router.  I've never experienced this before on my R7000 netgear router. 

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, NinJetSoul said:

Can you send me a picture to verify the power adaptor.  I'm connected to a phillips surge protector

It's just the one we sent with the R2, is that the one you're using and have you pushed it fully into the router? Try direct to a wall outlet and see if that helps.

The power cable is pushed in all the way and I tried connecting the power directly to the outlet.  I'm still having the same issue.  This is getting frustrating.  I'm at the point where I'm done messing with this.  It's been an issue since day 1 and that's the reason I started using the connection benchmark to test for speeds.  This is suppose to be plug and play with added options to prioritize your game play.  I've spent many hours trying to troubleshoot this problem and I'm just chasing my tail here.  If this product was stable at all times and I needed to reboot the router ever now and then I'm fine with it, but I've decided that I want to return this product and get a refund.  Can you PM me and I'll give you my order number.  I really appreciate your hard work with helping me trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Thank you 

• Administrators

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't think it is necessary to reboot that much - the reboot probably works because it kicks all the devices offline, I think it will just be a case of finding the best settings so I'm sure it can be resolved. You will need to email [email protected] with your order number and they will be able to sort you out.

I've taken all devices offline and tried just playing the ps4 connected through lan and it still does the same thing.  This morning I went out and picked up an xr500 at best buy and I've been playing for 2 hours and there are slight frequencies that I hear but not as bad as the R2.  TBH. I like the R2 much more. Idk if it's the software behind the R2  thats allowing it to function better.  As Netgear xr500 is a bigger company where they maybe limited to setting their software to a one size fits all.  I've seen a post where you said that the xr500's hardware is better but I've done a comparison on gameplay and I can clearly say that the R2 functions better for me.  I will contact netduma's customer service and see if they will replace my R2.  I really don't think it's the settings that can fix my problem.  I personally believe it's the continuous huge loads that the R2 takes on that's causing my router to bug out and it doesn't recover unless I power cycle.  Like I said I maybe the few % that maybe having some hardware issues and I'm willing to give the R2 another shot.

I'm still having the same problem.  Tomorrow I will upload a video on youtube and have you watch and listen to it with a headset.  I noticed the sound is much more amplified on the R2 than the xr500. The game play on the R2 seems like it's 10% faster where I'm not seeing any blur.  There's no lag whatsoever in those games before I have the issue.  Even the recorded game play is a little slower than what I'm actually seeing.  The Xr500 makes me feel like I'm in an artificial environment where there isn't lag and is a little more stable but I prefer playing on my R2.  I really hope we can figure this out.

The effects of the two products shouldn't be substantially different. The difference could perhaps be attributed to the fact that the XR500 isn't on DumaOS 3.0?

DumaOS 3.0 on XR500 is currently in open beta, so you could download it and compare directly if you want. Download it here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Netduma-OS/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma

• 1 month later...

I had a technician from xfinity come out to take a look at their wiring and they found a problem. The wires were fine but the connection of the drop to the port on their side wasn't working properly and it caused intermitting signals.  After the port was switched I still heard the amplified noise for about a week and it went away.  I was still having problems with controller movement on the ps4. Still felt like I was missing frames and I finally figured it out yesterday. I cleared all the previous Bluetooth devices that were connected to my ps4 and now I finally have full movement of the game.  I have a question about geofiltering.  Even though I set the radius or polygon mode I keep seeing a peer somewhere in Africa that is allowed to join in my games while everyone else is filtered out that's outside the filter. I keep denying that person but a new identity would show up a few games later  at the same location.  I tried restarting the router to flushing the cloud and that person is still trying to connect. 

• Administrators

That's brilliant, well done on getting all of that solved! Is it one just off the coast? If so that is an anomaly that sometimes appears, it won't affect your game at all as it is something local appearing so you can ignore it.