Jump to content
Bigfntarget

Dynamic QoS and Network Monitor Upgrades

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I recently read that Call of Duty Warzone uses random ports from their game servers for gameplay packets. The other ports/connections are to the authorization/stats/matchmaking servers and are not essential gameplay packets.

After setting up wireshark on my pc and using it to hotspot my ps4, I determined this to be true and the reason why so many of us are having issues with this game. High priority packets shouldn't be detected while sitting idle in the game menu/lobby, yet they are when using the proprietary DumaOS Classified Games option.

A user on the forums, @RedBull2k, has created a standalone windows program for DumaOS routers he calls Caddy, that basically sniffs the network to determine which ports the Warzone server you're connected to is using, then adds a QoS rule to the router to allow those packets to be placed as High Priority.

I believe this type of Dynamic Prioritization is exactly what DumaOS needs, and this user needs to be compensated for such a brilliant innovation and maybe brought onto the team... 😉

It would also be very beneficial to have the Network Monitor upgraded with more information, such as being able to view all of the actual connections to the router, like the ip addresses and ports currently in use, being able to see an individual device's connections, filtering out UDP and such. Like wireshark but running on the router itself.

 

 

TLDR; Dynamic QoS that sniffs out connections to actual game servers and packets that are solely gameplay related.

Network Monitor that displays active connections and is sortable and filterable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caddy does not implement dynamic QoS and if it was able to communicate that way with the router I would be a tad concerned as it’s all grouped under Netgear firmware and security plus Dumas QoS. 
It’s a great little addition. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're really talking about a minute amount of packets/bandwidth that will be used for stats etc, its good to prioritize them otherwise you might wait a while for the specific in game things to load. We are already working on a more automated QoS system and will be including more connection information such as ports etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Newfie said:

Caddy does not implement dynamic QoS and if it was able to communicate that way with the router I would be a tad concerned as it’s all grouped under Netgear firmware and security plus Dumas QoS. 
It’s a great little addition. 
 

I don't understand your comment, because that is exactly what Caddy does... it dynamically adds and removes QoS rules as you're playing and switching lobbies/servers. I have downloaded and am currently using it, so i can attest it works and is not a security concern. Any computer on your network can access the Duma router and modify it, and the caddy program doesn't communicate with anything outside of the LAN.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We're really talking about a minute amount of packets/bandwidth that will be used for stats etc, its good to prioritize them otherwise you might wait a while for the specific in game things to load. We are already working on a more automated QoS system and will be including more connection information such as ports etc.

Within an hour of turning on my game with Classified Games enabled there are hundreds of thousands of packets that are designated as high priority. Turning off Classified Games and enabling the caddy ensuring that only vital gameplay packets are prioritized, which is about 10k-20k packets in that same hour.

And there have been no issues with loading game content or communications to stat/authentication servers since turning off Classified Games

Not trying to argue with you Fraser, but I've been playing a lot of CoD and testing everything under the sun to help my gameplay and lag compensation issues.

This method works the best for me, and now my only issues are latency, which has more to do with me being 2000km away from any of the Warzone servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really glad it is working for you, we want people to experiment with their settings to find what works best which is why we allowed people to add ports as well. We're certainly not done innovating so expect to see more improvements across QoS, Network Monitor etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bigfntarget said:

@Newfie Please enlighten me.

As it’s not part of Netgear or Duma it’s a program you download at your own risk and use. 
 

I would strongly recommend you use a well known virus tool on anything that accesses your router. If you don’t have one this will help.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/

personally I would never touch any third party tool no matter what if it had any interaction with my router as I value security.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bigfntarget said:

Not trying to be rude, but that's not exactly clarifying what you meant when you said :

You already stated your opinion on the security concerns you have and my rebuttal was that I have already scanned the app and done the necessary testing to conclude on my own the maliciousness of the app, to which I found none.

The Caddy app is a stroke of genius, which like most ingenious ideas it is simple yet effective. I am simply trying to get this idea incorporated into DumaOS so that we don't have to resort to 3rd party apps to accomplish what we all want; lag free gaming (hence why most of us bought this expensive gaming router in the first place)...

Piping up and saying that the app doesn't do what it claims and that I don't understand what it does when I've asked the creator of it exactly that question and then used it myself is just asinine, troll behaviour. Keep your opinions to yourself if you can't back them up. Constructive criticism and logical discussions or please keep quiet.

if you have issues with lag I would suggest you post under the Nighthawk support page and see if @Netduma Fraser can help. You should not need any third party app to achieve this. Plenty of users play just fine on the router. 
perhaps you need help setting it up or have an issue that needs addressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bigfntarget said:

Not trying to be rude, but that's not exactly clarifying what you meant when you said :

You already stated your opinion on the security concerns you have and my rebuttal was that I have already scanned the app and done the necessary testing to conclude on my own the maliciousness of the app, to which I found none.

The Caddy app is a stroke of genius, which like most ingenious ideas it is simple yet effective. I am simply trying to get this idea incorporated into DumaOS so that we don't have to resort to 3rd party apps to accomplish what we all want; lag free gaming (hence why most of us bought this expensive gaming router in the first place)...

Piping up and saying that the app doesn't do what it claims and that I don't understand what it does when I've asked the creator of it exactly that question and then used it myself is just asinine, troll behaviour. Keep your opinions to yourself if you can't back them up. Constructive criticism and logical discussions or please keep quiet.

This is not a Dynamic QoS bolt on. Not sure why you think it is @Netduma Fraser can explain its usage if unclear I'm sure. It should not really be needed with DumaOS 3.0 either which is good news too. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Killhippie You're right, it's not "Dynamic QoS" as the term is used by netgear to refer to all of their QoS settings as a whole, but it is part of it. I did say Dynamic Prioritization at the end of the post, which is a more accurate term for the process. It scans the ports and creates a new rule as needed, and deletes the rule when your match is over... so it's a Dynamic QoS. If you follow my thought process.

Also, Duma 3.0 is around the corner but not here yet. But to be honest, everyone speaks of it like it's the holy grail of firmware updates and it's going to solve all the issues everyone is having with their routers. I have my doubts. And will this specific feature be included in the new firmware? Probably not. Hence why I posted this on the Feature Ideas thread. 😉

@Newfie Not everyone needs this feature, and if you don't I'm so ecstatically happy for you... Not everyone needs QoS at all, and those people don't need to buy a $300 gaming router. Get over yourself.

No two internet connections are the same, therefor it isn't simply a matter of "well it works for him so it should work for you, you're probably just doing it wrong."

I have posted on this forum before (a simple look at my user account will show this), I'm not new to networking, and I'm only seeking to actually help this community and help make DumaOS better. Not sure what you're here for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a problem, I linked Fraser so he could see the thread and your suggestion. No condescending remarks are meant as I’m sure yours are not meant.

As Fraser stated, they are still working hard to add features and improve the overall experience on 3.0. It’s not the holy grail, nothing is, you will never find that but it’s a software that offers end users a different route on the gaming side compared to other manufacturers. The team at Netduma have worked very hard to bring new features and are passionate about giving gamers software that offers a unique experience which is probably why you went for it from say a R7000 or similar NG product maybe.

There is the open beta for the 500 if you want to try 3.0 to see if the feature you want is still viable. The links in the Nighthawk support page or if you fancy giving the R2 a go which is Netduma router you could add your 500 as an AP to handle WiFi if you wish. You need to try 3.0 so you can determine if you still think adding your suggestion is required as that’s the new software that’s supported now and any updates on security from Netgear will be built into this build.
I have nothing against your suggestion by the way. 

Give 3.0 a bash and see how you get on. They need beta testers like yourself who know about networking to help improve the experience for all.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma

I’ve added the link to make it easier for you.


 





 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😕🙃...🤤 

@Newfie Gee golly, thanks, never would have found that without your help... And allow me to help you with further social interactions... do initiate conversation with someone assuming they are stupid, incapable, or inept. Do not accuse someone of not knowing something without being educated about it yourself. Do not offer advice or help when it is not explicitly asked for. And lastly, know when to keep quiet and walk away. <--- this one should have been obvious from my first response to your "helpful" reply to my original Request post.

Oh and I'm done responding to this thread now, go and troll someone else's thread so it gets buried.  👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Newfie said:

Pas de problème, j'ai lié Fraser pour qu'il puisse voir le fil et votre suggestion. Aucune remarque condescendante n'est signifiée, car je suis sûr que la vôtre ne l'est pas.

Comme Fraser l'a déclaré, ils travaillent toujours dur pour ajouter des fonctionnalités et améliorer l'expérience globale sur la version 3.0. Ce n'est pas le Saint Graal, rien ne l'est, vous ne le trouverez jamais mais c'est un logiciel qui offre aux utilisateurs finaux un parcours différent du côté du jeu par rapport aux autres fabricants. L'équipe de Netduma a travaillé très dur pour apporter de nouvelles fonctionnalités et est passionnée par le fait d'offrir aux joueurs un logiciel qui offre une expérience unique, c'est probablement pourquoi vous l'avez opté, par exemple, avec un R7000 ou un produit NG similaire.

Il y a la bêta ouverte pour le 500 si vous voulez essayer la 3.0 pour voir si la fonctionnalité que vous voulez est toujours viable. Les liens dans la page de support Nighthawk ou si vous avez envie d'essayer le R2 qui est le routeur Netduma, vous pouvez ajouter votre 500 en tant qu'AP pour gérer le WiFi si vous le souhaitez. Vous devez essayer la version 3.0 afin de pouvoir déterminer si vous pensez toujours que l'ajout de votre suggestion est nécessaire, car c'est le nouveau logiciel pris en charge maintenant et toutes les mises à jour de sécurité de Netgear seront intégrées à cette version.
Je n'ai rien contre votre suggestion au fait. 

Donnez 3.0 une bash et voyez comment vous vous en sortez. Ils ont besoin de bêta-testeurs comme vous qui connaissent le réseautage pour aider à améliorer l'expérience pour tous.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma

J'ai ajouté le lien pour vous faciliter la tâche.


 





 

At the present time duma os 3.0 is unusable 2 days ago the connection of all people with beta 3.0 on the xr500 we lost the internet with difficulty accessing the interface for downgraded tftp a was the only solution for some I let you imagine And all this without downloading anything !!! How do you explain that? I just find it a shame to have waited over a year and see that as a result !! I do not blame netduma but do not recommend a beta which may make your router unusable afterwards;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Locosano said:

At the present time duma os 3.0 is unusable 2 days ago the connection of all people with beta 3.0 on the xr500 we lost the internet with difficulty accessing the interface for downgraded tftp a was the only solution for some I let you imagine And all this without downloading anything !!! How do you explain that? I just find it a shame to have waited over a year and see that as a result !! I do not blame netduma but do not recommend a beta which may make your router unusable afterwards;)

That’s Beta testing hence the warranty info posted on the Beta forum, it happens sadly, they have withdrawn it now and if you could post on Netgears Beta forum it would be helpful. I’m sure another will arrive to test. 
The problem is Netgear have some old code in the 500 that is 10 years old, it’s based on the R7800 which is the same. Netgear could do with updating their background packages like Voxel has on the R7800 which would make life easier I would imagine. 
I use NG stuff, I’ve an AX router and that needs work too but NG seem a bit relaxed at times which is a shame.

The R2 on the other hand is working nicely so might be an option for you. For gaming it’s specs are fine and you could use your XR450 as an AP if you wished. Worth considering.

 

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bigfntarget said:

😕🙃...🤤 

@Newfie Gee golly, thanks, never would have found that without your help... And allow me to help you with further social interactions... do initiate conversation with someone assuming they are stupid, incapable, or inept. Do not accuse someone of not knowing something without being educated about it yourself. Do not offer advice or help when it is not explicitly asked for. And lastly, know when to keep quiet and walk away. <--- this one should have been obvious from my first response to your "helpful" reply to my original Request post.

Oh and I'm done responding to this thread now, go and troll someone else's thread so it gets buried.  👍

I’ve not been rude to you in anyway and I apologise if you have taken it that way. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...