My Auto setup QOS result...

Chaiyoabc

Hi netduma team. I have got my r2 for 2 days. So far I am happy with it. Also so excited about the auto qos thing. I have tested the auto qos and here is my result. 

it suggested me to use 100% download and 48% upload. My bandwidth is around 381mbps download 241 mbps upload. 

I am okay with suggested 48% upload so far. But 100% download? Afaik, 100% in qos setting would make qos not function. So I am not sure if auto qos is currently buggy or not. 

would need some clarification. 

cheers

• Administrators

We are making further improvements to the feature in order to make it more accurate/have a balance between prioritizing ping and bandwidth. We will likely allow for the ability to choose your own aggressiveness of the tool. It is just a suggestion so would suggest lowering download as well.

my qos told me 66% down and 7% up and then told me its not a good idea to have the up set at less than 10% ??????

atm im struggling to set mine up i play hc on ww2 so every shot should be a 1 shot kill but im hearing 3 or 4 hit markers before i get a kill unless they havnt turned around and killed me , compaired to the r1 atm the r2 is giving me a worse game experience even if i set it up like the r1 the hit detection seems to be random even part way through a game i can be running around killing everything and be 10 kills for 2 deaths then for no reason just hit markers and i die 6 or 7 times in a row most of the time i dont even get chance to aim let alone fire , i have denied servers only to be still playing on them next game ? , do you need the filter on to block servers ? , maps and even lobbies i used to dominate  i am now getting turned inside out and struggling to break even , im sure its just the settings that need a tweak but atm im not enjoying the r2 .

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, mike said:

my qos told me 66% down and 7% up and then told me its not a good idea to have the up set at less than 10% ??????

atm im struggling to set mine up i play hc on ww2 so every shot should be a 1 shot kill but im hearing 3 or 4 hit markers before i get a kill unless they havnt turned around and killed me , compaired to the r1 atm the r2 is giving me a worse game experience even if i set it up like the r1 the hit detection seems to be random even part way through a game i can be running around killing everything and be 10 kills for 2 deaths then for no reason just hit markers and i die 6 or 7 times in a row most of the time i dont even get chance to aim let alone fire , i have denied servers only to be still playing on them next game ? , do you need the filter on to block servers ? , maps and even lobbies i used to dominate  i am now getting turned inside out and struggling to break even , im sure its just the settings that need a tweak but atm im not enjoying the r2 .

Yes you do need the filter on to block servers. 

Use QoS & Connection Benchmark together, try different Congestion Control percentages to find what lowers the Ping Under Load the most. What is the average ping as shown by the Geo-Filter?

ping on geo (auto ping i assume you mean that) seems to be pretty steady at 10-13 ms

ran the benchmark 3 x times without altering anything and the upload ping (under load) can be anything from 40ms to 75ms , download around 10-15ms idle is 10-12ms , the upload ping seems to be all over the place altering the qos sliders didnt really do anything it still seems to vary wildly from one test to the next

auto enabled on

download - 82% - 32,8mbs

upload - 49% - 14.7mbs

bandwidth on the wheel both up and down set at 61

ping upload under load - 57ms atm

always on everything else left as is and upload ping now at 64ms

always on

dl-82% 

ul-82% -24.6mbs

bandwidth still 61

ping ul-58ms

i have had both at 100% and ran auto set up a few times and the upload ping still varies from test to test and the game experience stays the same ie  poor and frustrating compaired to the r1.

bandwidth set at 49 down and 64 up

both sliders at 82% 32 down and 24 up

always on 

upload ping 67ms , jitter seems to hover around 27ms and zero packet loss

ill have to sit down tomorrow for that, is there any setting in particular that seems to be a constant on the system like set thing A to this and thing B to this like bleeding edge etc on the r1 ? , id rather find out now its better turn something off or on and then go through the settings rather than have go through it 3 or 4 times .

ta fer the replies btw .

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, mike said:

ill have to sit down tomorrow for that, is there any setting in particular that seems to be a constant on the system like set thing A to this and thing B to this like bleeding edge etc on the r1 ? , id rather find out now its better turn something off or on and then go through the settings rather than have go through it 3 or 4 times .

ta fer the replies btw .

No not that I can think of, every connection is different as well so hard to advise a certain thing that works for everyone.

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We are making further improvements to the feature in order to make it more accurate/have a balance between prioritizing ping and bandwidth. We will likely allow for the ability to choose your own aggressiveness of the tool. It is just a suggestion so would suggest lowering download as well.

Cheers, would you know when will new fw out? Is it possible to send me through inbox? I really really want to use it.

i think i have sorted it .

i ran the speed test and that told me it was getting 35mbs download speed and 9.2mbs upload speed.

so when i found the right place i altered my speed settings as when i originally put them in i wasnt sure of the exact speeds , i noticed that during the tests i have ran today and last night the up and down speeds remained constant.

so i altered the speeds from i think it was 40mbs down and 30mbs up to 37mbs down and 11mbs up the upload ping under load has now gone from 40ms at best to as high as 78ms to just under 16ms.

hopefully this should improve things.

1 hour ago, ChrisCohen said:

Stupid question but what does QoS actually do? Why for example would you not leave both at 100%?

If your home network is really busy and oversaturated things can start to bottle neck and if your gaming, your gaming packets will be basically put at the end of the line so to speak by getting hung up in the queue. Lowering the sliders and setting CC to Auto Enable or Always while gaming will leave your network some "headroom" so your packets don't get pushed to the end of the line. Right now I wouldn't use the auto set up, I would do it manually...start at 70 / 70 and adjust it from there according to connection benchmark until you find your sweet spot.

And then when your done gaming put your CC back to never and back to 100 /100 and you will get your full bandwidth speeds.

6 minutes ago, fuzzy clam said:

If your home network is really busy and oversaturated things can start to bottle neck and if your gaming, your gaming packets will be basically put at the end of the line so to speak by getting hung up in the queue. Lowering the sliders and setting CC to Auto Enable or Always while gaming will leave your network some "headroom" so your packets don't get pushed to the end of the line. Right now I wouldn't use the auto set up, I would do it manually...start at 70 / 70 and adjust it from there according to connection benchmark until you find your sweet spot.

And then when your done gaming put your CC back to never and back to 100 /100 and you will get your full bandwidth speeds.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

im back ....................

i got fed up off trying to do it manually as it will take the rest of my life and ill explain why in a moment.

i used auto set up and set it for ping and this worked great for a bit until it didnt .

i ran the speed test again and upload ping was all over the place 50-80ms from a pretty stable 12-16ms i think it was , and i hadnt touched anything.

after some trial and error i decided to reboot the r2 and hurrah that worked ping upload , under load back down to around 12ms again only i found myself having to reboot the r2 on a daily basis to keep a good ping , which cant be right ? .

and then that stopped working again and the ping was all over the place , rebooted the r2 , nope the pings still erratic , so i ran auto set up again , still setting it up for ping for gaming and this gave me a different setting to use it was 37 down and 17 for up , it is now set at 76 down and 25 for up.

now i guess when it gets a bit dodgy again ill have to reboot the r2 do the speed test and possibly run the auto set up again now if im going to end up doing this every few days theres no way i can sit here doing it manually 10 up on this 10 down on that run the speed test nope no good 10 up and 10 down run the speed test nope etc etc etc etc and there is no way id ever come up with my original figure  of 37 down and 17 up.

is there a fix / better way / something other to do ?.

• Administrators

The most likely reason rebooting helped it because it disconnected all devices and then they would reconnect. Auto Setup can give you different options based on the time of day and the ISP usage in your area so if you notice something like that happen again run Auto Setup again, apply what it suggests and see if that resolves it. We are working on a more automatic version of QoS that will come in future.