Strange loss on speed as soon as I enable the QOS

Hello guys,

I am trying to fix a problem that I have been looking foor when I play Insurgency sandstorm, I always have a decent ping (Playing from Chile to USA East Coast 120-140ms), the thing is that when a map finish every time my ping raises a few ms, so instead of tht range I move ofer 150-170ms. Well, thats not the problem that bring me here, because I was trying to configure the anti-bufferbloat as precise as I can but when I try to test the connection speed (which is fiber optic by the way), I get a strange behavior as soon as I disable the QOS to test the speed, looks like the QOS thing cap my speed only when I enable it on my xr500(latest firmware available  2.3.2.56, not the beta yet because I havent received the invitation....).

The order was as follow:

Qos Enabled --> QOS Disabled -->Qos Enabled -->QOS Disabled -->Qos Enabled

image.png.d55029e2fe7ea6206b5fa71a64f4bb18.png

Does anyone have a clue why is this happening? is this a normal behavior of QOS en abled?

Regards

PS: If I only could test the latest firmware...

1 hour ago, N3CR0 said:

QoS is supposed to lower your speed. Thats how it works.

Yes, in many routers it works like that but only when more people is using the device, besides why anti-bufferbloat exist if I have to drop even more my internet speed?

Quoted from netduma:

By default, the QoS R-App is configured to give you your full speeds provided by your ISP. However, this will not necessarily give you the best experience when gaming or doing anything else that is latency sensitive. 

It doesn't give me the full speed when it's enable.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, SturmButcher said:

Yes, in many routers it works like that but only when more people is using the device, besides why anti-bufferbloat exist if I have to drop even more my internet speed?

Quoted from netduma:

By default, the QoS R-App is configured to give you your full speeds provided by your ISP. However, this will not necessarily give you the best experience when gaming or doing anything else that is latency sensitive. 

By default it isn't enabled. Post a screenshot of your QoS page and we can take a look.

12 hours ago, SturmButcher said:

Quoted from netduma:

No, once QoS is enabled, the speed will be capped, no matter whether anyone using a device or not.

I have 4 routers with QoS so I'm pretty sure I know how it works ;)

Actually if you set the sliders to 100% it should disable ABB and give you full speed regardless if QoS is on or off. Same for the ‘When high priority traffic detected’ setting, if there is no high priority traffic you should receive full speed.

I have noticed though that the sliders are not that accurate. When I set mine to 450mbit on a 500mbit line it will give me around 400mbit.

That is not only a XR500 issue but the R1 also has it. When you get to lower speeds it does become accurate at some point.

for most automated QoS systems like Codel and so on you set a value below your normal connection speed, like 5-15% lower and this will in fact lower your bandwidth.