XR500 with Aus NBN FTTC Connection

Hey Guys,

Bit of a rookie with this sort of stuff but I've recently been upgraded to a NBN100 plan via Fibre to the Curb from ADSL2+, which is great my ping is a lot lower and getting over 10x faster up and down speeds.

My issue is trying to set up a bridged connection with the ISP's modem/router to my XR500 without having to put it into AP mode. I was able to achieve this back on ADSL2+ without an issue and also at a relatives house who has a NBN HFC connection.

When I do attempt to set up a bridge using the ISP's guide, I ran into conflicting NAT issues which slowed my speeds and provided me with a moderate NAT type. I also ran a traceroute from my computer which showed it passing through both the modem/routers protocol and the XR500's which is not a true bridged connection.

Does anybody have any experience with this because I'd love to be able to use my XR500 again along with DumaOS. Just running the ISP's modem/router atm which is working fine, but obviously would like to eliminate and bandwidth congestion with DumaOS.

My ISP's forum has not been any help so far....I've only been told to run the XR500 in AP mode or use it as a WiFi extender which is not ideal and I have also read that apparently you can't bridge a FTTC connection because it uses WAN/EWAN but I have no idea what that means.

Appreciate any suggestions...

Thank you. 

Im not following your results.

You bridge mode your router then the duma doesn't connect or find the internet and if it does you have NAt/s;ow internet issues?

My only solution is to disconnect everything, do each step 1 at a time rebooting with each change.

Welcome to the forum!

So yeah bridging your ISP router would be ideal, but it sounds like it doesn't support that feature.

The ISP suggests using the XR500 as an access point but they don't realise that will make most of the DumaOS features useless. You might as well just use a wifi extender at that point.

If you can't bridge your ISP router, you might need to do the following:

• Disable Wifi on ISP router
  • Disconnect all LAN devices from ISP router
  • Connect ISP router LAN port to XR500 WAN port
  • Set up XR500 so that it has an internet connection
  • On ISP router, give XR500 a reserved IP address, and put that reserved IP address into DMZ
  • Connect all devices to XR500, check that Xbox/PS4 don't give you Double NAT

EDIT: I meant to say connect the LAN port to the WAN port! Oops.

Hey @Netduma Alex

Thanks for the advice. You've hit the nail on the head.

Do you think it would be easier to just buy and run a modem/router which has "Modem Only" or "Pure Bridge Mode" like the Netgear D6220 (which is supposedly VDSL2 and Australian NBN compatible) seeing as though it looks like bridging to the XR500 is the only way to connect to these Australian NCD's (NBN Connection Devices) which are used for Fibre to the Curb and Fibre to the Node type connections? And if it doesn't work, I can certainly give your way a try with my ISP supplied modem/router.

Thanks again.

@digz_au

I have definitely tried that. If you have Fibre to the Curb and the (please see attached) NCD inside your premises, please upload a pic of it in operation. I really wish it would.

I am well aware that PCD's for Fibre to the Premises and Hybrid Fibre Coaxial don't require modems, as I have used my XR500 for years with HFC. But for FTTN, FTTB and FTTC this Network Connection Device unfortunately does not act as a modem.

NBN NCD.jpg

• Administrators

I would suggest trying Alex's suggestion first to see how that works because there is no point buying a modem that will just do the exact same thing essentially as the settings Alex suggested you change unless absolutely necessary.

FTTC requires no modem only a router, depending on your ISP you may need to copy the mac address of the previously connected router to the NCD into your xr500, release the ip and renew after a reboot. FTTC HFC and FTTP do not require modems. The devices are provided by nbn.

Edit: a simple search takes 10 seconds for an answer 🤷‍♂️

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2763204

I'm sorry I need to amend my previous post.

I said "Connect ISP router LAN port to XR500 LAN port"

But I should have said "Connect ISP router LAN port to XR500 WAN port"

I hope I didn't cause any confusion!

Connecting the LAN port to the LAN port wouldn't work at all, it needs to be LAN to WAN.

58 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

I'm sorry I need to amend my previous post.

I said "Connect ISP router LAN port to XR500 LAN port"

But I should have said "Connect ISP router LAN port to XR500 WAN port"

I hope I didn't cause any confusion!

Connecting the LAN port to the LAN port wouldn't work at all, it needs to be LAN to WAN.

The NCD device used over here in Australia for fttc(Vdsl2) contains both the tech for reverse powering the DPU in the pit and the vdsl2 modem. It has 1 gb ethernet port to connect to a router. Just for future support the only connections via NBN that need a vdsl2 modem are fiber to the node or fiber to the basement (FTTN/FTTB) hope this helps anybody who comes across this in the future. 

Just a side note, some isps handout the ip via DHCP/Auto and others require pppoe with vlan. 

Solved!

I was able to manually set up my internet connection on the XR500 plugging it straight into the NBN NCD. After numerous failed attempts, I located the VLAN tag group in advanced settings and changed the default No. 10 to 2 as required by my ISP.

Special thanks to @digz_au for some experienced Australian NBN advice. Feel free to add anything I may have missed for anyone who may have come across this issue, or who may be bridging their ISP modem unnecessarily.

Thanks everyone.