Many questions

Guest Chocodude99

Guest Chocodude99

Hello! I bought this router a few years ago and I tried to use it but I never managed to because we got someone to help us set it up but he told us it wouldn't be possible. I don't remember exactly why this was the case but regardless I do want to use it but I have many questions I'd like to ask:

1. Does the Netduma R1 Router work with any router including those that are international?

2. If I want to get the best speed and I don't want to use my family's router, should I buy another router (such as a netgear router) and connect the Netduma R1 router to that one for my console?

3. Could I please speak to someone 1 on 1 preferably over the phone or through a chat service as I'm extremely hesitant to set this up on my own?

4. If I were to connect the Netduma R1 router to the ethernet plug in wall which goes straight to my home router, would that work?

Thank you

Hello there and welcome,

1.The R1 and XR series will work with any isp modem/router,sometimes you may need a username password if you're on ppoe

2.That depends on your speeds really bear in mind the QOS (congestion control or cc) bufferbloat sliders will only work if the R1 is the main router,so a more viable option may be to use another behind the R1 as an wireless access point.

3.I'm not sure if 1 on 1 phone support is provided but the router is really easy to setup,there's alot of information on these forums with active users and Netduma staff on hand to help.

4.You may need to log into wan settings of the R1 and set it to dynamic but it should pick it up relatively easily.

Guest Chocodude99

Hey Chand93.

First off thanks for the fast response. So just so I understand correctly for the second point, I should buy another router (such as Netgear for example) that has high speeds and connect that to my Netduma router and of course connect to my console right? 

Also is their any chance u could find out if someone would be able to give me one on one support preferably over the phone? I'd feel more comfortable having someone walk me through with it. If not, could you please connect me to someone that would be able to help me correctly set it up?

8 hours ago, Chocodude99 said:

Hello! I bought this router a few years ago and I tried to use it but I never managed to because we got someone to help us set it up but he told us it wouldn't be possible. I don't remember exactly why this was the case but regardless I do want to use it but I have many questions I'd like to ask:

1. Does the Netduma R1 Router work with any router including those that are international?

2. If I want to get the best speed and I don't want to use my family's router, should I buy another router (such as a netgear router) and connect the Netduma R1 router to that one for my console?

3. Could I please speak to someone 1 on 1 preferably over the phone or through a chat service as I'm extremely hesitant to set this up on my own?

4. If I were to connect the Netduma R1 router to the ethernet plug in wall which goes straight to my home router, would that work?

Thank you

1. Yes, we work with any router around the world. The main point of differentiation between connections around the world is the type of modem you need. Netduma routers do not contain a modem, so you or your ISP will need to provide your own. Once you've got that, the Netduma router should work with the modem no problem.

2. Well it depends if you have two separate broadband lines coming into the house. Most people don't, which means you'll be setting your R1 up underneath your family's existing router. This won't be ideal because you'll still be subject to all of the same problems you were experiencing under the old router. You're not replacing it, just putting more stuff between you and the internet. That said, Geo-Filter would work correctly in this setup, QoS would not.

3. Sorry but we don't offer phone support. We could potentially do this through a chat service, although if it was out of hours, you wouldn't be much better off than just using the forums. Feel free to contact our Facebook page or Twitter profile, we could chat through DMs if you want. Link to this thread. I also have Discord.

4. That WOULD work, yes, but only for Geo-Filter and Hybrid-VPN, not for QoS.

Guest Chocodude99

Hi, thank you for the reply,

1. That's great news

2. I just want to make sure I understand this point correctly, I need to get a Modem either from a store or from my ISP in order to connect it to the Netduma R1 Router which will then be connected to my console. My question is this, how can I connect it to my console if my console is in a different room and only gets internet via a Ethernet plug in wall? The routers are set up in a sort of closet where the power is and I'm not sure how we could move it. Is it possible that I could get my own Modem that will be dedicated to my console, connect that to the Netduma Router R1 which will be connected to my console and have all of the features such as Geofilter, and QoS work? 

3. I understand, I'm more then happy to do a chat service even on discord. In fact, if you would be okay with doing a voice call through discord that I would really appreciate it as I'd feel more confident in understanding exactly how I may set up the Netduma Router R1. If its okay with you could you please send me your discord so we may speak over voice call?

4. This goes back to my second question, how can we fix this issue where I can get all of the features including QoS? I'd like to have my own internet set up that would be dedicated to my console so my internet speed won't be affected by my family's use of the internet but I'm not sure exactly how we can do this? If I cannot get my own modem and use that as a dedicated source for my console and Netduma Router R1, how can we fix this issue?

Guest Chocodude99

Also, if I may just make a quick correction, I do have a Modem router installed in our house. I just don't think we can move it as I'm afraid that the signal from the wifi will change and it won't as strong as before. Therefore my question stands as to whether I should buy a new modem router and connect that to my netduma r1 router and connect the netduma router to my console or if there is an alternative solution to this, what can we do?

• Administrators

What speeds do you pay for/receive and what ISP are you with? To have your own internet where other family members usage doesn't interfere would involve you getting another line, I think this would be unnecessary. The simplest setup would just be plug the R1 into your existing ISP modem/router and have everyone connect to the R1, then all features would work. We can advise further if speeds are higher than what the R1 can provide etc.