XR300 Anti-Bufferbloat/QoS not throtling upload speeds

Hello guys,

I recently bought a NETGEAR XR300 and yesterday I've been doing some tests with the QoS settings and found that the upload throttle is not working at all. I have set the Anti-Bufferbloat to 70% each way and checked the option to always apply the rule. For reference, my default download upload speed is 45/18 Mbps.

What happens is after that is if I run a speed test on my computer, I can see that the download speed is being actually throttled as expected, however, the upload speed is always at max (around 18 Mbps). This causes bufferbloat and even lost packages when I run the ping test suggested in your guides.

I have also tried to change the Bandwith allocation directly for my PC, defining a specific upload speed and unchecking the share excess option. It also doesn't work. Yesterday I tried to reinstall the firmware just in case, but no luck, the issue continues.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

My settings:

image.thumb.png.19f486af3ca17f49ecccefaa6758995f.png

The Speedtest result:

image.png.0fa3dba99f7bccccc305ec05d5d11219.png

Are you using it in PPPoE mode with VLAN set?

If so it's a known bug. 2 way around it, use another router to handle your PPPoE settings and VLAN tagging, then put your XR300 in DMZ. Or use a managed switch between your router and ONT and set VLAN tags on that. It's VLAN tagging that is the actual issue.

17 minutes ago, Bert said:

Are you using it in PPPoE mode with VLAN set?

If so it's a known bug. 2 way around it, use another router to handle your PPPoE settings and VLAN tagging, then put your XR300 in DMZ. Or use a managed switch between your router and ONT and set VLAN tags on that. It's VLAN tagging that is the actual issue.

Hi Bert.

I am using PPPoE but my VLAN is not enabled.

image.thumb.png.6e7923e747548586efa0cd18da764c9a.png

45 minutes ago, Bert said:

Ok. On my XR500 it's VLAN tagging that gives you the actual QoS issue, with just PPPoE it's fine. Maybe that is a small difference between the 300 and 500.

Supposedly this will be fixed in the 3.0 beta.

Hello again Bert.

Do you have more information regarding this beta? Have any idea when and if it will be released for the XR300?

Cheers,

Leandro

33 minutes ago, Bert said:

It's supposed to be coming out within weeks, but you need to sign up for it through netgear.

http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html 

What I would do in the mean time is plug in your ISP router. Disable wifi on that. And put XR300 in DMZ on that.

I will try that and post here the results. Thanks for the info, Bert.

On 6/8/2020 at 11:44 PM, Netduma Alex said:

Hi Leandro,

As Bert suggested, there is indeed a bug where upload anti-bufferbloat won't work if you are using a PPPoE connection. It won't be long until the DumaOS 3.0 beta launches so i'd certainly suggest signing up for that.

Thanks Alex.

I signed up for the beta already. Weird thing that there is no confirmation from email or something that you actually signed up.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Leandro Zanchin said:

Thanks Alex.

I signed up for the beta already. Weird thing that there is no confirmation from email or something that you actually signed up.

That's normal I think for the XR signups, if you went through it and submitted it then you'll be on the list.