3 Xboxes and Moderate NAT - any suggestions?

Truth720

Hi All,

We have a large family with 3 Xboxes and I'm trying to get open NAT for COD MW on all three. I have open NAT when I run the NAT test on each console.

When I launch the MW game however, the game is showing moderate NAT. 

All three consoles have a static IP - .100, .101, and .103. I moved .100 into the DMZ and that one has open NAT on the game and console.  

Any suggestions on how to get MW to open NAT status on the other two? Having multiple consoles I use the alternate port feature on all 3. Can I set up port forwarding rules for each to solve for this? Are there any other options? 

Thanks!

What router is this?

On XR500, go into WAN settings and change NAT filtering from secured to open. And turn on uPNP. This should give you open NAT.

• Administrators

The above should help but also double check that the Geo-Filter is not causing a misreading. Switch to Spectating mode then boot the game, if it appears as open then it's always open and you can enable and ignore the moderate reading.

Sorry - I'm using the XR450, geo filter is turned off and UPnP is on. 

6 hours ago, Bert said:

What router is this?

On XR500, go into WAN settings and change NAT filtering from secured to open. And turn on uPNP. This should give you open NAT.

I'm using an XR450 with UPnP turned on. My network setup is :ONT -> XR450 -> LAN. No other router or modem between the router and the ONT/outside world.

If I open NAT completely, doesn't that effectively turn off the firewall protection on the router? 

Finally got it to work - not sure what actually got it working. 

Here's what I did: 

1. set up all xboxes with static IP's - .100, .101, .102. 
  2. set up alternate ports on two .100 using port 52553, .102 using port 51138, .101 is using the automatic/default port 3074
  3. set up all port fwd rules on xbox .101 (port 3074)
    1. https://support.activision.com/articles/ports-used-for-call-of-duty-games
  4. set up all port fwd rules on xbox .100 (alt port 52553) and .102 (alt port 51138)
  5. moved .100 to DMZ
  6. Set NAT from Secure to Open
    1. don't love doing this as it was unnecessary with my mediocre FiOS Quantum Gateway router!
  7. Rebooted the router and reset each Xbox after attempting various combinations of the above. 

I'm not sure if any of this is redundant (port fwd AND dmz at the same time? - didn't work until i did all three at the same time.) 

I haven't attempted the 3rd Xbox yet, but as of right now, I have Open NAT on CoD on two consoles. 

Here are the settings. Please let me know if there's any way to tidy these up!1385479313_ScreenShot2020-05-30at12_23_44PM.png.140c58f8ccb784d8212bcb8977814173.png

1062064521_ScreenShot2020-05-30at12_22_25PM.png.df2b931a63e9ae6b1e05cf9519a6c0ef.png1381119044_ScreenShot2020-05-30at12_23_05PM.png.f94b2724ec053276213b09d2a28dfee0.png1385479313_ScreenShot2020-05-30at12_23_44PM.png.140c58f8ccb784d8212bcb8977814173.png

• Administrators

I mean you're literally using every single method of opening ports there, DMZ shouldn't be necessary so disable that, try with NAT back to secure as your port forwards may have done it. If it doesn't work you can always switch back.

Just to be clear, the .101 Xbox on the default 3074 works flawlessly with port forwarding and static IP regardless of all these other changes to the .100 Xbox. And, the Xbox NAT is open without doing anything on all Xboxes, this is all strictly related to the NAT in CoD MW. 

Ok, I turned off DMZ and Open NAT filtering and immediately got Moderate NAT on the .100 in CoD. So we know port forwarding by itself doesn't solve this. I already tired port forwarding ONLY previously and resulted in Moderate NAT in game. 

1. Set up Open NAT filtering + Port Forwarding and rebooted the router and xbox .100 = Open NAT
  2. Set up DMZ ONLY and rebooted the router and xbox .100 = moderate NAT
  3. Set up Open NAT filtering ONLY and rebooted the router and xbox .100 = moderate NAT
  4. Set up DMZ + Open NAT filtering and rebooted the router and the xbox .100 = Open NAT

So it seems like there are two solutions - 1 and 4. In both cases Open NAT filtering is required but, Open NAT filtering on its own does not result in Open NAT in CoD for me.

So which is these approaches would be recommended and why?

If I use DMZ + Open NAT Filtering will that be a "universal" solution so I don't need to create Port Forwarding rules for any other games? 

If only one Xbox is to be turned on at a time, I recommend each console to set the same IP in the console's network settings. You only enable UPnP on the router. For me, I got open Nat on R1, playing on 2 xboxes and PS4 in COD.

I have open nat on 4 xboxes in the house, just using the standard set up and having one DMZ'D.

Cod is a bit of an odd one to sort out.

My ps4 I can get no more than Type2.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Ste G said:

I have open nat on 4 xboxes in the house, just using the standard set up and having one DMZ'D.

Cod is a bit of an odd one to sort out.

My ps4 I can get no more than Type2.

NAT Type 2 is open, just means you're behind a router so all good there!