R9000 EOL

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie

Just saw on Scan UK that the R9000 which is the router the XR700 is built off of has been made EOL. I hope that does not mean the XR700 may go the same way. It seems Netgear is having a bit of a cull on older AC gear that's expensive and maybe didn't sell hugely well. :(

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/netgear-r9000-nighthawk-x10-ad7200-72gbps-80211ac-ad-quad-stream-wi-fi-router-mu-mimo-10-gbe-sfpplus

Guest Killhippie
18 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

No doubt they'll start putting DumaOS on the AX gear next.

Maybe, not sure really tbh time will tell. a RAX200 with DumaOS would be silly money, I'd prefer a Asus if it came to that, I'm happy without DumaOS  on my RAX120 tbh, needs change as time passes I guess.

Guest Killhippie
4 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Do you need it on AX. To be honest the RAX120 I have is a great router.

It depends some gamers want the extra fine controls which is okay, I cant be bothered to game with a laptop or app open as well as a game for my needs tbh.

4 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Maybe, not sure really tbh time will tell. a RAX200 with DumaOS would be silly money, I'd prefer a Asus if it came to that, I'm happy without DumaOS  on my RAX120 tbh, needs change as time passes I guess.

But if they're gonna start EOL'ing the XR series... they're not gonna just dump DumaOS altogether so they gotta start putting it on something.

Guest Killhippie
4 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

But if they're gonna start EOL'ing the XR series... they're not gonna just dump DumaOS altogether so they gotta start putting it on something.

Maybe the RAX80 as thats buggy ;) or maybe the RAX20 as thats much cheaper.

Guest Killhippie
1 minute ago, Newfie said:

It’s well behind the RAX200 considering the recent updates.

same chipset though...

22 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Perhaps in house is the future or it hangs on 3.0. Who knows but let’s hope Duma succeed.

Even if they did drop them, another company would pick them up quick.

Guest Killhippie
9 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

Even if they did drop them, another company would pick them up quick.

Be good if they could just make it on their own tbh, and with better hardware like the XR series has in the future. Thats how Netduma will make it big by not joining up with third parties and doing all the heavy lifting themselves.

On 5/25/2020 at 3:28 PM, Killhippie said:

Be good if they could just make it on their own tbh, and with better hardware like the XR series has in the future.

They need to put it on new tech, not like they did with the R1 which was an old $30 routerboard.

Guest Killhippie
Just now, N3CR0 said:

They need to put it on new tech, not like they did with the R1 was which an old $30 routerboard.

Could not agree more.

7 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Be good if they could just make it on their own tbh, and with better hardware like the XR series has in the future. Thats how Netduma will make it big by not joining up with third parties and doing all the heavy lifting themselves.

This.

Option could be to build someting in the form of a Edgerouter. Just basic router with DumaOS software, no wifi. Then you simply pick the wifi acces point of your liking. New wifi standard? Buy a different wifi acces point.

Guest Killhippie
18 minutes ago, Bert said:

This.

Option could be to build someting in the form of a Edgerouter. Just basic router with DumaOS software, no wifi. Then you simply pick the wifi acces point of your liking. New wifi standard? Buy a different wifi acces point.

That could be expensive, but I see what you mean but a new Wi-Fi standard may mean a new base Netduma router too. Maybe a dumb router terminal and the software is on a server and then Wi-Fi chipset compatibility would not be such an issue then. Interesting times ahead :)

Just now, Killhippie said:

That could be expensive, but I see what you mean but a new Wi-Fi standard may mean a new base Netduma router too. Maybe a dumb router terminal and the software is on a server and then Wi-Fi chipset compatibility would not be such an issue then. Interesting times ahead :)

Do you play COD?

Guest Killhippie

Just to say nothing wrong with COD its just not my kinda game. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

26 minutes ago, Bert said:

This.

I like this idea.

Guest Killhippie
6 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

I like this idea.

At the moment its been a bit hard work with people adding AX routers onto less powerful AC devices, but a truly modular system would amazing, same chipset throughout for or for true compatibility Wi-Fi standards so you could maybe mix and match chipsets, who knows.

• Administrators

We're not planning to end support for the XR700, especially given 3.0 will give it a new lease of life. We're still supporting the R1 5 years later so I can't see this being a problem.

Guest Killhippie
13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We're not planning to end support for the XR700, especially given 3.0 will give it a new lease of life. We're still supporting the R1 5 years later so I can't see this being a problem.

Depends on Netgear really at the end if the day though Fraser I suppose. Like any company if sales are not high on older expensive tech they stop selling them.