R1 age

banjo22

I’m just wondering if people are still using aging R1s? I packed mine away a few months ago but do miss not having the control and visibility of my network.

I bought the R1 in 2015 but trying to use it became impossible, it was so slow on the webpage and constant timeout errors when loading pages made me think it was just to old couldn’t cope with dumaos. 

Anyone still using their old one?

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

People are still using them! What browser were you using to access the interface? If you clear cache/cookies then load each page it should be faster after that.

I use Chrome. Is it worth just using duma on its own in another browser do you think?

I might give it another shot 

Well its all up and running again, unfortunately still seeing so many of the loading circles and then the "The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this R-App."

My console started downloading an update for Warzone so completely killed my network, I just want to sort the QoS out but can't even get to the webpage, despite the updates being paused! This is why I feel it's not fit for purpose anymore.

Guest Killhippie

Tbh the hardware is old, and not having 5Ghz Wi-Fi is very out of date. Hardware specs  are really old really since modern routers can handle faster speeds and have much faster CPU's with loads more ram so they can handle 4K etc. I don't think the R1 and the next gen of consoles will be a good mix.

5ghz isn't an issue as I disable WIFI on it anyway but yes the hardware is very old now. The CPU and memory appear to be topping out a lot, is there anyway to disable any services at all?

The most frustrating thing is when something is downloading and saturating my network, I can't get on the router to look at the network monitor, all the webpage does is load and then pop up the error listed above!

• Administrators
4 hours ago, andybtsn said:

Well its all up and running again, unfortunately still seeing so many of the loading circles and then the "The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this R-App."

My console started downloading an update for Warzone so completely killed my network, I just want to sort the QoS out but can't even get to the webpage, despite the updates being paused! This is why I feel it's not fit for purpose anymore.

41 minutes ago, andybtsn said:

5ghz isn't an issue as I disable WIFI on it anyway but yes the hardware is very old now. The CPU and memory appear to be topping out a lot, is there anyway to disable any services at all?

The most frustrating thing is when something is downloading and saturating my network, I can't get on the router to look at the network monitor, all the webpage does is load and then pop up the error listed above!

No way to disable services at the moment, I would suggest doing a factory reset from the interface so it runs as fresh as possible. Are you accessing using the LAN IP?

44 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No way to disable services at the moment, I would suggest doing a factory reset from the interface so it runs as fresh as possible. Are you accessing using the LAN IP?

I reset it before installing it again. I reserve all IPs so don't want to lose them resetting again, I assume there is no way to backup your config.

I simply do not know how to get a happy medium with console updates. I'm intrigued with how others manage it. I'm sure most will have got a 20gb update for Warzone today, it's been a nightmare trying to get this updated on 2 PS4s whilst being able to use the internet for normal use. 

QoS is set to 75% for both DL/UL, I have tried switching between Prioritise traffic and Always whilst the update downloads, but still the internet is simply terrible. I made sure no game was open on the console and the duma thinking to prioritise traffic on a console. Share excess is turned on.

My laptop lost complete connectivity at one point and I needed to reboot, I still have the no internet icon in my taskbar, despite being able to browse now I've paused the download again.

Unfortunately, on a bog standard tplink router there isn't any issues with game updates/downloading and use of the internet in a 5 person household.

Like I said, I'm really interested in how people are setting theirs up. My internet isn't amazing, 30mb DL but is sufficient for my needs.

Capture.PNG

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

Not on DumaOS, the original R1 you can make a back up, I can't recall if reserved IPs were included but I doubt it. What is your exact physical setup at the moment? 

I've disabled QoS for now.

I am on plusnet with a VDSL router set to bridge mode, cat5 to the duma. I have a lot of devices hanging off that physically or via wirelessly to 2 Unifi APs.

For some reason, I recall port 1 and 5 on the duma being at 100mb, the others 1000mb, this got me thinking of something was amiss there, I can't for the life of me remember where I saw this though. I can't see anything in settings that shows me the port speeds.

• Administrators

That will be in the table view of the Device Manager. It is due to the Cat5 cables you're using as they can only support up to 100mbps. Given your speeds that's fine. For Plusnet do you use PPPoE or VLAN at all?

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That will be in the table view of the Device Manager. It is due to the Cat5 cables you're using as they can only support up to 100mbps. Given your speeds that's fine. For Plusnet do you use PPPoE or VLAN at all?

It's PPPoE. I’ve changed cables and it’s still limited to 100mb so assume it’s normal