Warzone packet loss fix with tcp

roguex

So I've been having massive issue with this lately. When I start a game I get massive packet loss making it unplayable. But it goes away to 0% packet loss when the player count drops to around 70 or less. My guess would be issues with the server, but I tried using a vpn to connect to US game servers and still have packet loss. Strange when you see popular twitch streamers in the US with 0% packet loss.

Anyway I started using ExitLag. It allows you to set the number of tcp and udp routes to use. I found that if I set udp to use 0 and tcp to use 1 (effectively disabling udp) the game runs with no packet loss. Which you would expect as tcp does error checking/recovery of lost packets in exchange for higher latency.

But I found my in game latency to be exactly the same. So it has effectively fixed my packet loss issue. 

My question is, is there a way to disable udp and only use tcp for this game the way exitlag does? Maybe on the router, firewall or other software (Netlimiter/glasswire)? I have a XR700.

Thanks

• Administrators

Gaming primarily uses UDP so I'm surprised that is working at all to be honest. No there isn't an option like that on the router. If it is in high demand then it is something we could look into in the future.

1 hour ago, blackfirehawk said:

I dont think its disable UDP..

I think its only reroute the TCP Pakets .

Without UDP Pakets the Game would simple disconnect

Can you explain how it "reroute the TCP Pakets"? 

47 minutes ago, roguex said:

Can you explain how it "reroute the TCP Pakets"?

Are you sure it must have udp rather than use tcp as a fallback? I know of apps that use this kind of fallback. 

It reroute the Pakets with a VPN.

The Game uses UDP Pakets.. If there is No UDP Pakets the Game will say No Connection to Server..

Its means only the VPN dosnt Route UDP Pakets with this settings

10 hours ago, blackfirehawk said:

It reroute the Pakets with a VPN.

The Game uses UDP Pakets.. If there is No UDP Pakets the Game will say No Connection to Server..

Its means only the VPN dosnt Route UDP Pakets with this settings

You're correct it still uses udp. 

Here's what I've found:

With no exitlag -> packet loss

With exitlag with 1 tcp and 1 udp routes -> packet loss

With exitlag with 0 tcp and 1 udp routes -> packet loss

With exitlag with 1 tcp and 0 udp routes -> no packet loss!

Question is why when both udp and tcp with exitlag causes packet loss and not when only using tcp via exitlag?

I'm just trying to figure out what is going on, if I need to involve my isp or not.

Thanks

Via the in game UI. It goes from 30% to 80% packet loss. I notice it when trying to play eg can't pick up items, shooting enemies won't register, general skipping in game. With exitlag and the settings of 1 tcp route and 0 udp route, in game UI says packet loss is 0% and the game is smooth and no skipping. 

Not sure how I can try different servers in Warzone. I haven't tried Anti-Bufferbloat, Traffic Prio. I haven't changed anything on the router, only using exitlag on windows. 

• Administrators

The router is designed to help you select the servers you want to play on, thereby avoiding servers that don't play well for you. QoS is designed to eliminate local congestion, if that program is working then it indicates that it is coming from your side which QoS can eliminate while also preventing other devices causing you to lag/buffer. I would suggest you go through our optimal settings guide to get set up and see if it is still an issue after that: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

On 5/3/2020 at 12:23 AM, roguex said:

Rouge i want you to try this and see if it helps

The game does use tcp ports 100 %

I seem them in every game i test for the ports

Try this 

In traffic priortization you need to type this in

Source  start 50000 end 65535  destination start 3074  end 3075  tcp

This might help as these are the tcp ports the game uses

You need to disable classified games

These settings are for both xbox and ps4

As i dont think you mentioned what platform you play on

I hope this helps

You could also put these ports  into portforwarding to see if it helps

I'm on pc. I tried the geo filtering but that didn't do anything. 

I'll try that the other stuff when I get the chance. Thanks

Update: Tried that and it didn't work. 

I don't think it's the router or any settings on it that is causing this. If it were then exitlag would be affected too but it's not. 

2 hours ago, roguex said:

I don't think it's the router or any settings on it that is causing this. If it were then exitlag would be affected too but it's not. 

Ive noticed in the past using an incorrect mtu causes  packet loss

• Administrators
11 hours ago, roguex said:

Have you gone through the optimal settings guides I mentioned? What didn't work regarding the Geo-Filter exactly? Are you using QoS now?

On 5/2/2020 at 8:53 PM, roguex said:

So I've been having massive issue with this lately. When I start a game I get massive packet loss making it unplayable. But it goes away to 0% packet loss when the player count drops to around 70 or less. My guess would be issues with the server, but I tried using a vpn to connect to US game servers and still have packet loss. Strange when you see popular twitch streamers in the US with 0% packet loss.

Anyway I started using ExitLag. It allows you to set the number of tcp and udp routes to use. I found that if I set udp to use 0 and tcp to use 1 (effectively disabling udp) the game runs with no packet loss. Which you would expect as tcp does error checking/recovery of lost packets in exchange for higher latency.

But I found my in game latency to be exactly the same. So it has effectively fixed my packet loss issue. 

My question is, is there a way to disable udp and only use tcp for this game the way exitlag does? Maybe on the router, firewall or other software (Netlimiter/glasswire)? I have a XR700.

Thanks

I have the exact same problem.Tried different MTU settings,Prioritized the ports used in the game.Nothing works,this is effecting certain ISP's around the globe and Exit Lag or VPN fixes it for most people.However both those options aren't feasible for consoles.Happened on my 4G hotpsot aswell.Switched to 3G and the problem disappeared.Makes me wonder my ONT/Modem has some package management issues at 4G frequencies,idk I'm firing shots in the dark at this point.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I finally found the cause for me and wanted to let you know what helped for me.

I also had the 3 orange boxes, FPS drops every 5-10 seconds but package lost stayed at 0%.

I tried all kind of sh*t; diffrent ISP's (at friends place), diffrent RAM, hotspot from my phone, cooling by an extern fan, all kind of diffrent settings in windows+game, re-installing the game+shaders, tried all kinds of diffrent drivers but nothing worked.

Then I tried another SSD with windows installed on it, and guess what; this sh*t worked. 

So I re-installed windows and basta, it's working for now. Stupid but simple.

Hopefully this will work for someone else as well.

*edit*: It worked for 2h, then blizzard came with this wonderfull update and things went back to 'normal'