Heavy packet losses in games and none in ping plotter

dpk_ydv

Hello all,

Since the last few days I've been experiencing heavy packet losses in BF5 games, anywhere between 5%-10% throughout the day. I've tried switching servers and also tried Fortnight that has a packet loss indicator, and the packet losses are really absurdly high.

What confuses me is that when I run ping plotter on 8.8.8.8 and the BF5 amazon server IP addresses, the graph indicates no packet losses or latency spikes at all, and I can't present the ISP with any proof of the horrible connection quality. 

I would also like to add that this connection problem is very recent ever since my area is almost in a lockdown due to corona virus. Perhaps the load on ISP servers might cause the issue in that case since everyone is at their homes, but why does it not indicate on the pingplotter results? 

Probably server overload due to more folk being online since we all trapped in our houses right now.

I've been having the same problem in CoD MW.

If PingPlotter isn't showing the loss, its not your end. Simples.

• Administrators

I wouldn't suggest pinging the game server themselves but rather a local website that should be pretty stable and see what you get. What are you getting on the ping on the Geo-Filter, do you see that fluctuate when you have the packet loss? Most likely the above, everyone will be using the internet a lot more now so the peak times where you'd usually see throttling/ping issues is sort of blurred.

Pingplotter is ICMP ping and games like battlefield measure their loss on UDP packets.

When there is traffic congestion across your ISP etc, UDP packets are the first ones to get dropped. Because UDP packets do not get resend while TCP/IP does. So that could explain why pingplotter is fine and your UDP traffic isn't.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What are you getting on the ping on the Geo-Filter, do you see that fluctuate when you have the packet loss? 

No, my ping stays steady even if the game indicates about 10% packet loss. 

2 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

Probably server overload due to more folk being online since we all trapped in our houses right now.

I've been having the same problem in CoD MW.

If PingPlotter isn't showing the loss, its not your end. Simples.

Yeah, seems to be the case, makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Pingplotter is ICMP ping and games like battlefield measure their loss on UDP packets.

Thanks for the information. Is there any way to measure UDP packet loss?

Edit: If UDP traffic is all that matters for gaming, why even bother checking IMCP packets using ping plotter?

Edited by dpk_ydv

Perhaps you are playing Warzone? The servers are just incapable to efficiently run games with high player count. Does it happens in 6 v 6 as well?

Atleast in battlefield 5, I struggle connecting to online services and get booted around 20% matches. 

7 hours ago, dpk_ydv said:

Perhaps you are playing Warzone? The servers are just incapable to efficiently run games with high player count. Does it happens in 6 v 6 as well?

Atleast in battlefield 5, I struggle connecting to online services and get booted around 20% matches. 

No, I'm talking about 6v6 MP. Ever since Warzone was released, the servers have been awful.