Need help setting up XR500 to form an asus mesh wifi

Hello friends,

I would like to seek for an advice on how to set up some of my asus routers to form a mesh wifi, essentially I want the XR500 to be my main router because it is far superior than the Asus routers I currently have and then use the Asus RT-AC86U as the secondary router, by doing this I can use the RT-AC86U as a primary mesh router and use the other asus routers as an extending wifi mesh nodes, There no problem setting the mesh nodes but I am currently having problems as to how to set up the RT-AC86U as the secondary router, any help would be appreciated!

IF you want to have the XR500 as your main router then the only alternative you have if you want a separate mesh system  is to give your Main asus router it.s own wan ip address so it effectively a separate network. then place your other asus routers in mesh mode.

your gaming devices need to be directly connected to the XR500 to benifit from having it and using it's feat

Thank you for the suggestions!, a friend of mine actually owns the same router I have, the XR500, and he bought a D-Link Covr AC2200 Tri-Band Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System to extend his wifi range for his place, I was thinking of doing the same to my place with my asus routers and they are mesh compatible but somehow they are to cumbersome to set up.

So I was wondering what does the primary node do like the D-Link Covr to somehow make this work so I can apply the same settings to my primary Asus mesh router, I do noticed that the D-Link Covr have a different SSID, I appreciate any suggestions in advance! 

• Administrators

As far as I'm aware one will connect via ethernet to the XR router, then you can connect the other routers to it via WiFi and apply the same SSID throughout. I haven't used mesh myself but that's my understanding.

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2020 at 6:51 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Good questions/suggestions above. Perhaps you would consider using them in AP mode so that the XR controls the IPs of all your devices and so all features can be used effectively.

Hey Netduma Fraser, after a lot of trials, I gave up on this endeavor and now I'm just looking for a AI Mesh from netgear and I found this, NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC2200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Mesh Extender (X7700-100CNS), my question is that can this make it so i just have one SSID?, and by the way is this a mesh or extender? I'm getting mixed reviews on this product, I just want one SSID in the house which is my goal and like you said control the IPs of all my devices and so all features can be used effectively, any recommendations are welcome!, thank you in advance!

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, jongc said:

Hey Netduma Fraser, after a lot of trials, I gave up on this endeavor and now I'm just looking for a AI Mesh from netgear and I found this, NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC2200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Mesh Extender (X7700-100CNS), my question is that can this make it so i just have one SSID?, and by the way is this a mesh or extender? I'm getting mixed reviews on this product, I just want one SSID in the house which is my goal and like you said control the IPs of all my devices and so all features can be used effectively, any recommendations are welcome!, thank you in advance!

Normal extenders increase WiFi range but have a different SSID so you have two networks. Mesh extenders extend the existing WiFi network while staying under the same SSID so yes the one you have mentioned would do that.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Normal extenders increase WiFi range but have a different SSID so you have two networks. Mesh extenders extend the existing WiFi network while staying under the same SSID so yes the one you have mentioned would do that.

I just bought it and got it set up and so far it got me just the one SSID which I really wanted and it's good, does the Nighthawk X6 AC2200 makes it so the XR500 control the IPs of all my devices and so all features can be used effectively?

• Administrators
11 hours ago, jongc said:

I just bought it and got it set up and so far it got me just the one SSID which I really wanted and it's good, does the Nighthawk X6 AC2200 makes it so the XR500 control the IPs of all my devices and so all features can be used effectively?

Yes it should do, just check on one of the devices connected to the extender, it should have a similar IP to the other devices connected direct to the XR.

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes it should do, just check on one of the devices connected to the extender, it should have a similar IP to the other devices connected direct to the XR.

Thanks Netduma Fraser, now no one in the house is hogging the bandwidth when I'm playing. 👍 

PS, I know that you Fraser and the Netduma team is getting a lot of negativity from the crowd lately but please remember that you guys rock!

• Administrators

Glad to hear it's all working now! Thank you for the kind words. As your issue has been resolved I'll close this topic now. Feel free to open another topic if you have any further questions/issues and we'll be happy to help.