Downloads stopping in PS4 rest mode XR500

I've been noticing this lately, whenever I download a game and put the PS4 in rest mode(all required boxes are ticked in the PS4 settings), the connection stays up for anywhere from 15-60 mins and then cuts out completely. I'm hooked up via ethernet cable and I see the eth3 light go from white to orange/red on router. I have also tested it on WiFi, same thing happens, minus the eth light on the router obviously. At times this will produce the CE-36233-9 error code.

I even bought a new 2TB SSHD, not just for troubleshooting but due to storage. Even with a completely fresh install of everything the same issues are persisting. Our internet is solid, it's fttp 100/40 it's always stable even in peak times, so it's not a case of losing sync. As mentioned all the required PS4 settings are enabled, and it does download in rest mode, at least for a short time, but then cuts out.

I've also done a factory reset of the router, and I think I have all the required settings enabled in the router.

Anyone have an idea what I might do to fix the issue.

Thanks.

Are you downloading to an external HDD? I've noticed that on my PS4 the games installed to the USB external HDD never get auto updated, regardless whether the console is currently powered ON or in standby. I have to either force the updates by hitting OPTIONS on the controller or let it update when launching. It's pretty inconvenient. I remember looking this up online and seeing somewhere that it's a common thing on all PS4s.

2 minutes ago, OlegP said:

Are you downloading to an external HDD? I've noticed that on my PS4 the games installed to the USB external HDD never get auto updated, regardless whether the console is currently powered ON or in standby. I have to either force the updates by hitting OPTIONS on the controller or let it update when launching. It's pretty inconvenient. I remember looking this up online and seeing somewhere that it's a common thing on all PS4s.

No only have ever used an internal drive. It's also not related to auto updates, it's when I purchase a digital game/reinstall a game from my library and let it download in rest mode.

On 2/23/2020 at 12:15 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

The only thing I can think of is that the Geo-Filter or QoS might be affecting this. Could you disable both please and see if it works? Disable QoS but hitting the button in the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line option menu.

I've actually had both disabled this whole time as I've been catching up on single player games, so no need. It's very odd. I contacted PS support and they basically confirmed that I had all the required settings ticked on the PS4, and all they could say was it's mostly likely a router or ISP issue. I spoke to our ISP and they confirmed there hasn't been any dropouts, and the only times I have lost sync has been when I've manually rebooted/unplugged or kicked the connection to force re sync.

When it's happened myself and others in the house have been online on different devices and there's been zero issues, apart from the PS4 stopping downloads in rest mode. It's just really odd. It doesn't happen when the console is on, so I guess that's the work around, but I'd much rather be able to use rest mode.

Just a stab in the dark, but I noticed today it seems to be happening almost exactly every 30 minutes, in the past I had just estimated. So with our current ISP the DHCP lease renews every 30 mins, would this have any effect on a console in rest mode, as opposed to when it is turned on?

I would have thought many people would also have 30 min renewals and haven't seen complaints of a similar nature, just running out of options and theories here.

So I've gone to LAN Setup and unticked use router as DHCP server, will monitor over the next hour as I download a few games, not sure if this would this potentially have any effect. Is there any other settings that are related to DHCP that could be reconfigured?

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

Maybe give the console a reserved IP address from the LAN Setup menu. It shouldn't have to obtain a new lease if the IP is reserved.

It already did. However what I posted previously has proved successful so far. It's been almost 3 hours have redownloaded 3 diff games, in rest mode, never dropped connection.

Bit of a pain having to add all the wireless devices that I hadn't already given reserved ip's. For some reason despite already reserving ip's with the mac address, they show up in device manager with 2 diff ip's, they all seem to be working fine. But would like to clean that up.

At least the rest mode issue seems to be fixed, a shame the router is so un-user friendly. I also always have to run reinstall from backup or at times run the setup wizard every single time I turn the router off. Then  Never had any dramas using our old Asus at the same property, same tech (fttc). This one you turn it off once, turn it back on, all lights are on but no internet until I restore from backup or run the wizard.

Can't say I'll ever buy another Netgear product.

It might be a glitch with your PS4, their updates are terrible and while I don’t suffer with what you have I suffer with some Astro A50 plugs that throw up a few surprises since recent PS4 updates.

perhaps a type of reset to factory defaults and start fresh may help in your case.

perhaps you should also reset your router, reinstall latest software and then reset and setup. Don’t use a saved config as that may introduce a corruption.

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

It might be a glitch with your PS4, their updates are terrible and while I don’t suffer with what you have I suffer with some Astro A50 plugs that throw up a few surprises since recent PS4 updates.

perhaps a type of reset to factory defaults and start fresh may help in your case.

perhaps you should also reset your router, reinstall latest software and then reset and setup. Don’t use a saved config as that may introduce a corruption.

I've done fresh installs on the PS4, fresh ssd, complete initialisation. Reset router countless times. Factory reset. I've done every kind of start fresh you could imagine.

The DHCP thing worked for 5 hours but alas it just stopped downloading a digital game in rest mode. Back to square one.

Probably worth switching back to the trusty Asus as this thing is just too buggy. Don't have this issue with the Asus or even the ISP supplied TP Link cheapie.

Can't get support from Netgear they just direct here, and here, well it's the blind leading the blind half the time. Suggestions that if people had read posts properly wouldn't be questions as they've bedn addressed.

I've had enough of the piss poor "support" from Netgear and Netduma.

I'm out...

• Administrators

How are you turning off the router, using the button or unplugging the power? If you unplug the power I think it can cause a reset from the sudden loss of power. 

Regarding the download issue it is odd that DHCP off would fix it but only momentarily. This reminds me of an issue awhile ago where the sort of WOL (wake on LAN) doesn't work correctly all the time. Do you have a switch that you could put between the router and the console to see if it can continue to download when in rest mode?