OpenVpn putting mobile on a different subnet

My home network is on 192.168.1.x
So ive noticed that for some reason, when connecting to my router hosted OpenVpn:
* On android mobile, it puts me on the wrong subnet. 192.168.2.x.

* On laptop, it puts me on the correct subnet.192.168.1.x.

Any ideas?

• Administrators

Do you have an ISP hub or another router that is on that subnet at all? Just to confirm when disabled does it go back to 1.1.? You're using the VPN service in the Netgear settings correct? Do you use it to access remotely?

Virgin Media in modem mode, XR500 as only router; with OpenVpn set up on the XR500.

im not sure what you mean by this "Just to confirm when disabled does it go back to 1.1.?"

I use OpenVpn hosted on the XR500 to access network attached storage and password vault on the home network, remotely.

So in this situation, when im remote, i can access those two via laptop but cant on my mobile because its put on the wrong subnet.

Have you selected "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" in the VPN settings?

I'll admit I haven't come across this problem before. The VPN Service is a feature that we're not involved in testing as it's provided by Netgear. 

The problem could be with the VPN Service, or it could be an issue with the configuration of the Android phone.

Yes i have selected All sites on the Internet & Home Network.

it most likely could be the OpenVPN android configuration being incorrect. I havent made any changes manually so id expect more people would have this issue??

No idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am having this same issue in my phone.  I use 192.168.3.1 on the router, but when connecting with openvpn, it's assigning my phone an IP of 192.168.4.2... which is useless because I can't get to my security cameras remotely. It connects fine, just on the wrong subnet! 😒 I recently purchased this router and haven't ever spent this much time trying to setup and troubleshoot VPN server on a router in the past. 🤦‍♂️ Has anyone figured out what is causing this and/or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Ty -

9 hours ago, Zracer15 said:

I am having this same issue in my phone.  I use 192.168.3.1 on the router, but when connecting with openvpn, it's assigning my phone an IP of 192.168.4.2... which is useless because I can't get to my security cameras remotely. It connects fine, just on the wrong subnet! 😒 I recently purchased this router and haven't ever spent this much time trying to setup and troubleshoot VPN server on a router in the past. 🤦‍♂️ Has anyone figured out what is causing this and/or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Ty -

Unfortunately no, but i was able to get pass this limitation in the end by using a different OpenVpn app on my mobile (OpenVPN for Android). Before i was using the official app.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Zracer15 said:

Thanks,

Ty -

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Try the above suggestion and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the quick replies!  Unfortunately I tried your suggestion acoop133 and got the same result. :(  I even tried modifying the actual .ovpn file to add a route in there specifically to 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 and it still doesn't work.  I tried changing the IP of the router to the default 192.168.1.1 and OpenVPN assigns 192.168.2.1.  Even in the log file on the app it show that its being assigned "route-gateway 192.168.2.1"  No matter what IP I give the router, OpenVPN assigns +1 on the IP.  I am not sure what else I can try at this point since it seems like its on the VPN server side... or the app side, but out of my control.

Any more ideas?

Ty -  

This might be something you'll need to ask Netgear support about, or perhaps on the Netgear forums? This feature in the router will be identical to the same feature on other Netgear models, even non-DumaOS models, so hopefully somebody has come across this issue before and come up with a solution. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Ive just tested on my phone, hostnames dont work but you should be able to access via their local ip, even if they're on a different subnet.

But yeah, its a bit dumb that it puts you on a different subnet.

• 1 year later...

Anyone found a solution to this ? 

The computer configuration file, with dev tap instruction, gives an IP on same subnet : everything's ok

The android configuration file, with dev tun instruction (because tap is not available on Android VPN API), gives an IP on different subnet : can't access to the router subnet. But I can access internet through the VPN ...

9 hours ago, Adelscott said:

Anyone found a solution to this ? 

The computer configuration file, with dev tap instruction, gives an IP on same subnet : everything's ok

The android configuration file, with dev tun instruction (because tap is not available on Android VPN API), gives an IP on different subnet : can't access to the router subnet. But I can access internet through the VPN ...

It's not an issue we've heard of since, what firmware version are you currently running on the XR?

I found the issue.

It appears my Synology NAS was the only element I couldn't access on the subnet, the problem had to be on the NAS. The subnet mask on the Lan interface was 255.255.0.0. After changing it to 255.255.255.0 it works. 

Thanks

39 minutes ago, Adelscott said:

I found the issue.

It appears my Synology NAS was the only element I couldn't access on the subnet, the problem had to be on the NAS. The subnet mask on the Lan interface was 255.255.0.0. After changing it to 255.255.255.0 it works. 

Thanks

Wow - great work. Thanks for sharing the solution too!