Reserving IP Address in LAN setup reboots WIFI

Hi,

Not sure if known issue but happens every time.

In LAN setup

Click Add

Select Client

Click Apply

Whilst waiting for it to be added, WIFI goes down and devices lose connectivity.

On latest firmware, not prepared to revert back to earlier versions, reset to defaults and setting up again is a pain.

if it’s known, will it be fixed in next release? 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, LastAxis said:

Hi Fraser  - that would make sense if all devices disconnect but appears to be only WiFi, wired remain connected. 

That's probably because wired devices can reconnect faster than wireless devices.

Guest Killhippie
23 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

We'll look into why this is happening. I'm not actually certain if it's expected behaviour or not.

All Netgear routers Ive ever had do this in DHCP reservation so the devices pick up the new IP straight away and the router flushes the old  IP is my guess also because its writing this to ram/flash not sure one, but basically its rebooting your Lan and adding new information and Mac addresses and device names. Just add each one then press apply at the end after adding them all not after each one and it will just do it once.

Appreciate the responses received, did a test last night connected to router via wired and it knocks that out too.

To me it’s odd that devices which have reservations already get impacted also, can understand that those without would be impacted.

there are checks preventing you from reserving more than one ip per device, so why kill the whole network?

Also, the IP address being reserved has already been allocated to the device via dhcp, I’m just adding it to the table as fixed. If I was giving new then yes, I agree it would flush and re-allocate to pool but again, why disconnect everything?

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, LastAxis said:

Appreciate the responses received, did a test last night connected to router via wired and it knocks that out too.

To me it’s odd that devices which have reservations already get impacted also, can understand that those without would be impacted.

there are checks preventing you from reserving more than one ip per device, so why kill the whole network?

Also, the IP address being reserved has already been allocated to the device via dhcp, I’m just adding it to the table as fixed. If I was giving new then yes, I agree it would flush and re-allocate to pool but again, why disconnect everything?

Its just how Netgear routers behave, they always reboot when adding DHCP reservations so all existing IP's will be rebooted when adding new DHCP reservations  because it cant distinguish between new and old additions to the DHCP pool. Quirk of Netgear firmware I would say. What I meant was add all the DHCP reservations at once, so press add after each new one and enter the next then at the end press apply and it will reboot once.